Is this a mutation or a property of a particular strain?

• Thread starter MesabiRangeMike
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MesabiRangeMike

I'm 60 yrs old and not a botanist, nor a master grower, so please excuse me if I butcher the terminology.

Been growing on the down low for a few years as my state just went legal in 2023. The seeds I have used came from 1/8s I had purchased. Got low on seeds so I let one male pollinate the three females I had. Neither parent had the property I am about to describe, at least the females did not. Every seed from that mixing has had the trait that it starts producing axillary buds from each node from the time it reaches a height of two to three internode lengths. Every node on every stem exhibits this trait as well. I can only assume this was a dominant/recessive gene passed on by the male and I didn't know enough to identify it when that parent was growing. The main stem also seems to be much sturdier/thicker than the plants I grew previously. The high is fantastic.

The resulting offspring are bushes that have to be heavily manicured lest they waste all their energy producing hundreds of popcorn sized buds. I could see such a plant being useful for producing clones. I suck at cloning, so I don't get much benefit from this.

I apologize for not providing more pics of plants in various stages of growth, but I have a janky cobbled-together 'good enough' setup that I'm kind of embarrassed by. Plus, I'm a renter.

Is there a proper name for what I am seeing?

Strain ident 001
Strain ident 002
M

MesabiRangeMike

I forgot to add that there is never any need to 'top' this strain

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hello and welcome to the farm.

Every seed from that mixing has had the trait that it starts producing axillary buds from each node from the time it reaches a height of two to three internode lengths. Every node on every stem exhibits this trait as well.
Branches growing from each node is normal growth and is commonly affected by nutrition. Light intensity affects plant height. Tell us about your growing conditions, such as light intensity and distance, temperature, humidity, nutrients and watering.

M

MesabiRangeMike

Hello and welcome to the farm.

Branches growing from each node is normal growth and is commonly affected by nutrition. Light intensity affects plant height. Tell us about your growing conditions, such as light intensity and distance, temperature, humidity, nutrients and watering.
Nothing about my growing conditions have changed. I was growing plants that had to be topped to produce additional bud sites, and then I was trimming plants like they were the most pernicious weed. I've used Miracle Grow potting soil for the entire 7 years, I have 600W LED lights on adjustable chains 3" from the plants, use Miracle Grow fertilizer (veg and the flowering formulas), I bottom-water each 2-gal bucket, and have no humidity controls. Nothing has changed except the seeds used. I have never seen plants that do not need to be topped. Not in my grow or any one I know.

M

MesabiRangeMike

I was hoping to have a conversation about morphology, strain identification, and repeated gene sequences. Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my original post. I have a strain that doesn't need to be topped. It is a Fractalstein monster, a cloner's dream, a lazy person nightmare of endless trimming and lolli-popping. I knew even before posting that this would go the typical troll-route of devolving into a criticism of my setup rather than focusing on the exhibited traits of the plants, which is why I didn't include more pics, plus I would basically have to denude one plant of leaves to show the full extant of the shoot production and branching. Doesn't matter the subject of a forum Linux, electronics, sci-fi, etc...someone's always quick on the draw to waste your time. And we nerds & geeks wonder why the normies hate us

Top Bottom