New grower seeking advice/suggestions

• Thread starter BrokeGreenThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BrokeGreenThumb

BrokeGreenThumb

Greetings all,

I've recently acquired all the necessary licenses and permits to cultivate my own supply locally. So down this rabbit hole I go :).
At any rate I've been doing a lot of learning on the fly and jumping into this new love. I'm currently running a 4x4 vivosun tent with 6" exhaust ventilation system using the their Grow Hub system with the vs4000 light. I've already determined I will need to add some supplemental lights later on and will order some soon. The first hurdle I believe I'm facing is a poor choice in soil. It's moisture control miracle grow from Walmart. After what feels like 1000's of hours of reading. I know this not the proper soil and plan to pickup some fox farms tomorrow. I started 3 Orion F1 seeds and one northern light auto. I sprouted them all at the same time and they all have done well up this point. I used the paper towle method to sprout the seeds on may 25th on the 27th I placed the seeds in solo cups and then transplanted them into their final pots on june 2nd. Today is the 12 of June and I'm noticing on the biggest of the Orion F1's the flower sites seem to be getting a lighter color. (First picture). The second picture is of the northern lights auto. It has some odd colors starting to show. The other two Orion plants seem to be okay mabey a little light green but not showing signs of stress or anything. As this is my first attempt and I know I screwed the pooch with the soil Im wondering if anyone might have an idea if these are signs of a deficiency? I've studied s several leaf charts to try and get ahead of the issue but i can't decide what to do. Thanks for any help/info. I do plan to start another batch of seeds this weekend using proper soil and moving forward using what I've learned getting this all setup but wasn't sure if I should try to mend these girls,risk transplant risk into better soil or just start over. And if I do try to save these any info on what they might be suffering from would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Forgot to mention I haven't added any nutrients and have been using distilled water and using nectar of the gods ph down to get it 6.3 - 6.5.
New grower seeking advicesuggestions
New grower seeking advicesuggestions 2

Last edited:
C

climbit

They look surprisingly well for using miracle gro. On the lighter side of the spectrum but by no means concerning. I would monitor this closely if it were me. What bag did you buy exactly I want to read up on it. I know the one I’m familiar with has synthetic wetting agents and synthetic type nutrients.

Lmao that actually looks too good for using miracle gro.

BrokeGreenThumb

BrokeGreenThumb

They look surprisingly well for using miracle gro. On the lighter side of the spectrum but by no means concerning. I would monitor this closely if it were me. What bag did you buy exactly I want to read up on it. I know the one I’m familiar with has synthetic wetting agents and synthetic type nutrients.

I'm surprised myself also after reading up on it more. Thanks for reply.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Greetings all,

I've recently acquired all the necessary licenses and permits to cultivate my own supply locally. So down this rabbit hole I go :).
At any rate I've been doing a lot of learning on the fly and jumping into this new love. I'm currently running a 4x4 vivosun tent with 6" exhaust ventilation system using the their Grow Hub system with the vs4000 light. I've already determined I will need to add some supplemental lights later on and will order some soon. The first hurdle I believe I'm facing is a poor choice in soil. It's moisture control miracle grow from Walmart. After what feels like 1000's of hours of reading. I know this not the proper soil and plan to pickup some fox farms tomorrow. I started 3 Orion F1 seeds and one northern light auto. I sprouted them all at the same time and they all have done well up this point. I used the paper towle method to sprout the seeds on may 25th on the 27th I placed the seeds in solo cups and then transplanted them into their final pots on june 2nd. Today is the 12 of June and I'm noticing on the biggest of the Orion F1's the flower sites seem to be getting a lighter color. (First picture). The second picture is of the northern lights auto. It has some odd colors starting to show. The other two Orion plants seem to be okay mabey a little light green but not showing signs of stress or anything. As this is my first attempt and I know I screwed the pooch with the soil Im wondering if anyone might have an idea if these are signs of a deficiency? I've studied s several leaf charts to try and get ahead of the issue but i can't decide what to do. Thanks for any help/info. I do plan to start another batch of seeds this weekend using proper soil and moving forward using what I've learned getting this all setup but wasn't sure if I should try to mend these girls,risk transplant risk into better soil or just start over. And if I do try to save these any info on what they might be suffering from would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Forgot to mention I haven't added any nutrients and have been using distilled water and using nectar of the gods ph down to get it 6.3 - 6.5.
View attachment 2192066View attachment 2192067
I would slurry test that soil to find out just what I was working with and go from there.

H

HeadHunterpipes

If you transplant or your next grow use Fox farm Ocean forest mixed with a 60/ 40% top soil sand, pea gravel/perlite . The bagged FF being the 60%.
Ph all the water your feeding your plant, especially if you have nutrients in the water.

One thing most new growers are not aware of is Cannabis plants roots need oxygen.....................................................
This why Cannabis grows so well in a aeroponic systems. The roots are hanging in a 100% RH.

H

HeadHunterpipes

PH down is 10% to 30% Phosphoric acid and 5% to 10% citric acid with about 5% ammonia. for 20 bucks a quart.
I mix my own PH down.
I prefer using Nitric acid citric acid and ammonia as a PH down I also have 85% phosphoric .

pH Down solutions usually contain acidifying agents like citric acid or phosphoric acid. These substances work by neutralizing alkaline components in the water or soil, bringing the pH level to the desired range for specific plants.

BrokeGreenThumb

BrokeGreenThumb

Wanted to post an update. On day 27 +/- from germinating. Haven't added anything to the miracle grow moisture control soil. I have been only watering phed to 6.3-6.5. I did some maintenance on the plants and watered tonight. I checked the runoff and it phed at 6.5 with a ppm of approx 700ish. Here are some pictures. Would greatly appreciate any pointers and or suggestions. They seem to be doing okay. I have one plant that seems to be lagging behind compared to the rest but seems healthy. I do have another round germinating ATM but will not being using the mg again. Going with ffof/happy frog mix with added pearlite and some Mycorrhizal Fungi. Also going to use root booster plugs.

Compress 20240621 223411 1163
Compress 20240621 223410 0128
Compress 20240621 223410 0633
Compress 20240621 223409 9578
Last edited:
Top Bottom