Oh no. Is this Thrips?

• Thread starter Bfreezy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bfreezy

I noticed some weird stuff on a lot of my leaves. The picture with the glove shows it kinda, but it’s extremely difficult to get a good picture of it. It’s shiny, and kind of looks wet. It’s a silvery color. To be honest, at first I thought it was just a spot of trichomes.
From what I’ve been able to find, it sounds like thrips. However, I don’t see any bugs. I’ve laid down some sticky traps to see what happens. I regretted it immediately, but I sprayed it with some of the pictured stuff. I’m week 5 into flower and I have to believe it’s going to affect taste. Plus now my plant is soaking wet and I’m worried about mold. Do you think it’s thrips?

Also, there was one spot of the bright, shiny copper color and it was wet. Honestly it looked like paint. Any ideas on that?

Oh no is this thrips
Oh no is this thrips 2
Oh no is this thrips 3
Oh no is this thrips 4
Last edited:
L

LowLifeTK

I noticed some weird stuff on a lot of my leaves. The picture with the glove shows it kinda, but it’s extremely difficult to get a good picture of it. It’s shiny, and kind of looks wet. It’s a silvery color. To be honest, at first I thought it was just a spot of trichomes.
From what I’ve been able to find, it sounds like thrips. However, I don’t see any bugs. I’ve laid down some sticky traps to see what happens. I regretted it immediately, but I sprayed it with some of the pictured stuff. I’m week 5 into flower and I have to believe it’s going to affect taste. Plus now my plant is soaking wet and I’m worried about mold. Do you think it’s thrips?

Also, there was one spot of the bright, shiny copper color and it was wet. Honestly it looked like paint. Any ideas on that?
Can't really tell if it's thrips, but in any case of any mites on your plants, I'd use neem oil on them. I've had great success with it. It's organic. It's made by the same company as that soap you purchased. Just do not use it about a day or 2 before harvest. Doesn't affect bud taste or quality.

Screenshot 20240618 133822 Samsung Internet
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Disagree w/above poster, don't spray neem on buds, ruins them. I didn't find it worked well on mites either

You should be able to see thrips without magnification, there're easy to eliminate too.

I can't see what that picture shows but it doesn't look like a thrip

Did you search pictures of thrip to compare it to?

Eledin

Eledin

Since its says its organic I assume its either phosphoric or potassic soap. Wash your buds after harvest and any residue will dissapear. Agree with the neem oil, it will stick to the buds and even if you wash them it wont go away since its, well, oil, dont use it. I dont know if theyre thrips but that wouldnt be my first assumption if I found my plants like that. I would say its nute or ph related, but try to find any tiny bug underneath the leaves as suggested and make sure.

Natep

Natep

Can't really tell if it's thrips, but in any case of any mites on your plants, I'd use neem oil on them. I've had great success with it. It's organic. It's made by the same company as that soap you purchased. Just do not use it about a day or 2 before harvest. Doesn't affect bud taste or quality.
Been oil is toxic to smoke. You can not use it on plants in flower.

Natep

Natep

Go on natures good guys and check out the control by pest section. Buy the bug that eats thrips. Do not poison your self

B

Bfreezy

Disagree w/above poster, don't spray neem on buds, ruins them. I didn't find it worked well on mites either

You should be able to see thrips without magnification, there're easy to eliminate too.

I can't see what that picture shows but it doesn't look like a thrip

Did you search pictures of thrip to compare it to?
I did and truthfully I am probably wrong. It’s just that one of the symptoms is shiny silvery spots, and I definitely have that but it doesn’t really look like the pictures I’ve seen

B

Bfreezy

Since its says its organic I assume its either phosphoric or potassic soap. Wash your buds after harvest and any residue will dissapear. Agree with the neem oil, it will stick to the buds and even if you wash them it wont go away since its, well, oil, dont use it. I dont know if theyre thrips but that wouldnt be my first assumption if I found my plants like that. I would say it’s nute or ph related, but try to find any tiny bug underneath the leaves as suggested and make sure.
Yea couldn’t see any bugs on the leaves. I put sticky traps down and got a couple gnat looking things.

Eledin

Eledin

I did and truthfully I am probably wrong. It’s just that one of the symptoms is shiny silvery spots, and I definitely have that but it doesn’t really look like the pictures I’ve seen
The silvery spots are most likely dry sap, it happens sometimes and is not necessarily because a bug is damaging them, I had that happen to me in the past, check this out:

What is cannabis guttation or xylem sap?​

Cannabis guttation happens when the plants exude drops of xylem sap, often during the night. These often appear in the buds or on the leaves and resemble cannabis resin. Unfortunately for dabbing enthusiasts, the xylem sap is primarily composed of sugars and minerals and isn’t psychoactive. Guttation occurs on many different types of plant, grasses and fungi and shouldn’t be confused with dew which is simply condensed atmospheric water which can also form droplets on your plants.

What is guttation in cannabis plants?​

To the untrained eye, guttation (or xylem sap) can look like a huge bonus globule of potent resin. Unfortunately, it is merely plant sap, produced by a similar process that creates Maple syrup when a tap is drilled into a mature Maple tree.

During the evening (or the lights-off period for indoor growers) the stomata on the undersides of the cannabis leaf close shut. During daylight hours, the stomata tend to be open allowing the plant to release moisture - a necessary part of photosynthesis.
Closed night-time stomata, in combination with possible high humidity levels, force the plant to squeeze the xylem sap out - mainly because of root pressure. The result is small droplets, often with an amber hue, which appear on the buds and leaves. The first time many growers see cannabis guttation, or xylem sap, they often think their plant is dripping in psychoactive THC-rich resin.
FROM: https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/what-is-cannabis-guttation-or-xylem-sap-n1106

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Yea couldn’t see any bugs on the leaves. I put sticky traps down and got a couple gnat looking things.
If its only a couple of fungus gnats is no biggie, but be careful because their larvae munch on the roots and with high humidity and temperatures they can reproduce amazingly fast. If you start seeing them more and more in the sticky traps you might wanna put some diatomaceous earth mixed with the top soil. Its organic, fosilized microalgae in form of silica crystals that stick to the bugs and dries them to death but are harmless for your good microbes. It also gives slow release silica for the plant which is good if youre not using a silica boost already. It needs to be dry to be effective, very important, when its wet it does nothing to the bugs.

Eledin

Eledin

"The result is small droplets, often with an amber hue"
Its not always amber, and definetely not amber if its a small quantity. If its a small quantity it can be just shiny. In the picture that appears in that article the blob of sap is way bigger thats why it looks amber 😁
That said Im not 100% sure if thats your case.

Top Bottom