Road Kill Skunk - Ester Alcohols, Train-wreck and the Catpiss Connection

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I see you're heavily invested in this hunt, (like so many others) but this thread is what really got me searching. Seen all the stories for the past 20 years of nobody being able to find the real skunks, and it's like searching for Bigfoot. Lots of hoaxes along the way, some bad reputations and bad blood from some of the people who started this wave, and a lot of bullshit to sift through.

I've been going pretty much OCD on this hunt already, borderline rain man, and my dog has been judging me the whole time 🤣. Many all night cram sessions, lots of bad leads, and a plant wrapped in mystery. But many of us have seen it, smelled it, smoked it, maybe even grew it, so I know it's real.

This is a true quest, so it's only right to make it official. 🦨💨
Ha ha ha!!! The legend of Stinkfoot! Yes! That’s hilarious I love it! 😂

I

Infusd

Moving right along! Getting these girls big & healthy so I can take a bunch of cuttings.

The 1st SS is looking great 👍 Growing her out to see her natural structure and keeping her as the main mother plant.

The 2nd SS is in much better condition since I got her. Will be taking most of the cuts from her and keeping her as a backup mom.

The "roadkill" clone wasn't too happy after traveling so I stripped her down, but she's popping a bunch of shoots and has lots of healthy new growth.

'79 FL Heirloom S1s are just starting a few sets of leaves.

I smelled all of my other strains just to double check, and none of them smell like anything in veg. These 2 skunks give off the stank. Can't wait to get these flowering!

20240520 225810
20240520 231042
20240520 231038
20240520 231048
20240520 225819
20240520 230931
20240520 230855
I

Infusd

Update on the Super Skunk-

Was doing my daily smell tests and the cat piss / skunk is still there up close on the wiff. But this is where things get interesting. Rubbed the big fan leaves on both of the SS and there is a new smell that is overpowering, at first I thought it was like garlic but it's more of a rank onion smell.

I've heard about the garlic/onion smell on some plants and have smelled & smoked GMO, but this was the first personal experience with it on a live plant, so I did some more digging.

" Though prenyl thiol is a major contributor to the skunky, gassy scent of cannabis, the other prenylated VSCs also contribute, although less so. For instance, VSC4–VSC7 each have either a strong skunk-like or borderline garlic/onion scent. Our data on cannabis vapes show high concentrations of VSC5 while having very potent scents. This helps argue that these other compounds can likewise contribute to this aroma. "

This was a short but good read. Turns out they have a way to test for VSCs using 2DGC (two dimensional gas chromatography.)

"Well, we wanted to answer a specific question – one that many folks in the industry had wondered: “What chemicals give cannabis its skunky, gassy, pungent scent?” Until our paper was published, this question was unanswered. Although much research has been focused on terpenes, none of them were known to contribute this specific scent. The fact that we discovered an entirely new family of compounds in cannabis was a pleasant surprise. And because many appear to be unique to cannabis, we are referring to this new class as “cannasulfur compounds."

Sussing That Skunky Smell

So they are specific compounds to cannabis. Just like terpenes however, that genetic makeup / fingerprint varies with phenotype. This is why I've always preferred clones to seeds, because you are getting the exact same phenotype.

Been looking into the Super Skunk and have seen some let downs. Maybe because there's like 20 different versions of SS from different breeders? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Have yet to see any pheno that has these leaves, other than the MSS. All of them have a more broad leaf structure. This one has double ridges too. (Notice those 2 bottom fingers that shoot down reverse from the top of the leaf.)

So my guess is this is from the first run of Sensi Seeds Super Skunk - either the MSS pheno or a sister pheno.

The roadkill clone is still pretty small and not much plant material on it yet, but the up close wiff of those baby leaves is still a rank skunk, more skunky and nasty than the SS.

So more good news on this end, the thiols / VSCs / CSCs are absolutely in these genetics. 🦨

20240524 111433
20240524 111558
20240512 034829
Screenshot 20240525 113853 Chrome
M

mono414

Update on the Super Skunk-

In many ways the SS is the most interesting to me - maybe because there is some sort of known provenance to the breeding/genetics.

The strains/phenos from these early breeding programs, especially from the early seed packs, always seem to hold fire.

I

Infusd

Lol just a few
🤣 They're not all Super Skunk yet! Only took 4 SS cuttings (2 from each plant.) Was thinking about running these 4 outdoors in organics in so we can see a few different growing styles (like the old cannabibles.) I just don't know how long they take to flower, and our season is very short (usually snows by mid October-early Nov.)

Been flowering in aeroponics indoors lately, so I'm waiting for enough clones to do at least a full light. I don't know how these plants grow so its much easier doing 1 pheno per light (or multiples if they all grow similar) for even canopy and growth.

I should be able to get a run of indoor done a month or 2 ahead of outdoors so that will help gauge flowering time and skunkiness.

I

Infusd

In many ways the SS is the most interesting to me - maybe because there is some sort of known provenance to the breeding/genetics.

The strains/phenos from these early breeding programs, especially from the early seed packs, always seem to hold fire.
Agreed. Being that it's older genetics, and most likely from the original Sensi run of SS, gives more credence than some of these fly by night breeders. There's documented proof that Sensi was part of the epicenter of the original skunks. They're one of the oldest seed banks I remember, and we ran a lot of their early 90s gear back in the day with great results. The similarities with the MSS gives this SS an additional level of credibility.

Some form of roadkill that was before or still in the SK1 may still be in these genetics, but 30+ years later it's most likely watered down or completely gone. That's what a lot of posts about newer Sensi Seeds seems to say.

What gives me hope is that everything about this Super Skunk seems to be right on track.

The real proof will be in the flowering and finished buds.

M

mono414

Agreed. Being that it's older genetics, and most likely from the original Sensi run of SS, gives more credence than some of these fly by night breeders. There's documented proof that Sensi was part of the epicenter of the original skunks. They're one of the oldest seed banks I remember, and we ran a lot of their early 90s gear back in the day with great results. The similarities with the MSS gives this SS an additional level of credibility.

Some form of roadkill that was before or still in the SK1 may still be in these genetics, but 30+ years later it's most likely watered down or completely gone. That's what a lot of posts about newer Sensi Seeds seems to say.

What gives me hope is that everything about this Super Skunk seems to be right on track.

The real proof will be in the flowering and finished buds.
Yeah, like SS is part of Death Star via the ecsd, and I imagine a serious contributor to it 'smelling like death'.

Rooke

Rooke

Decomposing
Yes perhaps that kinda onion smell that I’ve picked up on in my room is coming from my DSxECSD crosses. I wish my nose worked better I was stem rubbing and my Dub Star is very rank kinda GMO stink to it. I will be hardening the gang this week 3 days of rain then sun after that I’m pretty excited

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Yes perhaps that kinda onion smell that I’ve picked up on in my room is coming from my DSxECSD crosses. I wish my nose worked better I was stem rubbing and my Dub Star is very rank kinda GMO stink to it. I will be hardening the gang this week 3 days of rain then sun after that I’m pretty excited
I ran Ike’s 80s humbolt last summer outdoor,
She stunk like rotten garlic,
This is my first run indoors with her.

Leeboy

Leeboy

East Coast Sour Diesel back in the house after a decade⛽️ Had it for years but had to get rid of it due to security concerns. It was the stinkiest plant I've ever grown. Will be cool to see it growing side by side with the SS.
Where did you acquire the sour diesel from ?

Top Bottom