Storage and shelf life for buds

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

Quick question since I’m not growing this season.
What’s the longest you’ve stored your buds before you just toss them or do something else with them besides smoke it?
I’ve got about 4 or 5 oz of gg#4 that have been in storage for going on 3 yrs and plenty of some other strains I’ve grown over last 2 seasons.
The GG has decent taste and smell still…not quite the kick it had originally but still decent. I still burp them and have humidor packs in jars.
Just curious as to how long people have stored is all

Galgrows

Galgrows

Shoooot nothing every last that long in my home. Heck why you still burping them after 3yrs those should be bone dry. 12 months is the longest i been able to keep a huge stash. Gawd my stuff is gone well within a year.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
What’s the longest you’ve stored your buds before you just toss them or do something else with them besides smoke it?
I’ve got about 4 or 5 oz of gg#4 that have been in storage for going on 3 yrs and plenty of some other strains I’ve grown over last 2 seasons.
The GG has decent taste and smell still…not quite the kick it had originally but still decent. I still burp them and have humidor packs in jars.
I keep them until they smell like hay. Think the longest is maybe two years maybe. Only because my brother n law moved and no way he was gonna risk carrying all that weed with him.
Stored in the coolest room of the house away from any lighting.
My personal gets given away if it reaches near a year of storage.

Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

There was a study that kept them for 2yrs in different environments. The best was vac sealed and in the fridge - don't remember if vac sealed jars or vac bags. Freezer surprisingly did worse. I can't recall the study nor what the figures were.

I've kept CBD flowers for over 2yrs and they still had nice color. I didn't know about checking trichomes back then but I did see that the ones that were stored almost as long in a jar at room temp turned brownish while the fridge ones looked almost fresh.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
There was a study that kept them for 2yrs in different environments. The best was vac sealed and in the fridge - don't remember if vac sealed jars or vac bags. Freezer surprisingly did worse. I can't recall the study nor what the figures were.

I've kept CBD flowers for over 2yrs and they still had nice color. I didn't know about checking trichomes back then but I did see that the ones that were stored almost as long in a jar at room temp turned brownish while the fridge ones looked almost fresh.
Yup, they do turn brown near the two year mark. In the fridge is interesting. Freezing them would just knock the trichs off entirely maybe.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Probably 3-4 years. Ive left quarts after being satisfied with the humidity level ina dark closet with a 2 way pack for a reaaaaaal long time. And although the terpine content and flavor is usually pretty muted after a year or two and color goes flat, in my personal opinion, there is no better high then that fully, and naturally decarbed flower with a little bit of CBN in it, even if it doesnt smack you in the face or chest as hard as before. Decarbed thc along side CBN is where that chinese eyed, smiley, shit eatin grin, not a care in the world cannabis high comes from ime. Think that high school brick weed buzz, just a lot more potent lol.

After having my old columbian land race tested while in kc, and then trying her offspring, im pretty convinced that those skunky lineages have that high, because something about their terpine chemistry aids in naturally decarbing the THC, and breaking some of that down into CBN earlier then other flowers. I didnt have acess to testing facilities while growing long enough then to totally confirm that with her offspring though.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Yup, they do turn brown near the two year mark. In the fridge is interesting. Freezing them would just knock the trichs off entirely maybe.
I totally missed this comment lol

you can freeze dry jarred buds. And so long as you let the jar come to room temperature, then sit for a few additional hours before you open it theyll do fine. especially extra resinous buds. I do this one most bigger harvests. Ill aslo get lazy on trimming sometimes and throw fresh buds in a ziplock and deep freeze em to make live resin later (food saver them if you think itll be for a good while). 2 years later its still making extracts more or less the same as went it in. Ive never really let stuff get older then that before blasting it though. But i also kept a small deep freeze exclusively for cannabis stuff, It wasnt also full of freezer-burnt meat and frost thats been there since the big bang. That essence can permeate just about anything in a deep freeze lol.

But i like naturally decarbed flower, i tent to only freeze cured buds or fresh for making extracts later. But the cured buds break and smoke just fine so long as you stick to that thing i wrote in bold lol. I think flower is perfect at the 7-9 month area for me usually. That's where im always enjoying new popped jars the most.

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

Shoooot nothing every last that long in my home. Heck why you still burping them after 3yrs those should be bone dry. 12 months is the longest i been able to keep a huge stash. Gawd my stuff is gone well within an I’m a light smoker and Everyone who smokes near me grows it so it’s kinda hard to give it away. I’ll personally know when it’s no good anymore but looked for a little feedback on the longest anyone stored it was all. Not really burping more than checking them occasionally is all I should have said. Just sitting on more than my lungs can handle was all,lol

Top Bottom