What hygrometers are you using?

• Thread starter Newty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newty

Newty

I need to replace quite a few curing hygrometers and can't find the same ones I use, I was wondering what members are using in their jars/bags?

Mini Squares?
Mini Rounds?
Mechanical?
Other?

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
We mostly use the little round ones, but we have some rectangular ones, too. We cure in one-pound Grove bags for 4 to 6 weeks before putting the buds in jars. Those bags get the humidity perfect every time. They're well worth the cost, IMO. They cost $36 for five of them on Amazon and are worth the price. I've been reusing them, so they can last a long time.

Newty

Newty

We mostly use the little round ones, but we have some rectangular ones, too. We cure in one-pound Grove bags for 4 to 6 weeks before putting the buds in jars. Those bags get the humidity perfect every time. They're well worth the cost, IMO. They cost $36 for five of them on Amazon and are worth the price. I've been reusing them, so they can last a long time.
I always used jars and boveda but after joining the form, decided to try Grove.
I ordered 16 - 1 ounce bags, 6 - 1/2 ounce, and 1 - 1/2 Glassless jar. I bought directly through them, $35. Amazon was a lot more expensive, at least for the sizes I purchased.

Is the accuracy about the same between the round and square hygrometers?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Hey LoveGrowingIt, are you putting a whole # in those bags? Do you have a set amount you shoot for per bag each cure?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I always used jars
Same! Good ole hang in the out building for a while then into jars for burping and what not : ) I’m totally down to try the grove bags.

So do you use the hygrometer in the bags? Is that to just keep a check and balance? (My understanding of the bags is they self regulate Rh%? )

Newty

Newty

Highly accurate. I hear they have digital now. I bought mine last century.
They don't make them with the mechanical hygrometers anymore, just the round digital.
I definitely dig mechanical and no batteries and the ability to calibrate.
I think these are the gauges they used in their lids.
Screenshot 20240510 221711 Amazon Shopping

Same! Good ole hang in the out building for a while then into jars for burping and what not : ) I’m totally down to try the grove bags.

So do you use the hygrometer in the bags? Is that to just keep a check and balance? (My understanding of the bags is they self regulate Rh%? )
Just to make sure the bag is doing its job, I probably won't put 1 in every bag. I never put 1 in every jar but rotate them weekly.

I bought ounce and 1/2 oz bags so I don't have to expose more then I need to when I need to refill my personal bag. The Grove Glassless Jar I bought is what I'll transfer my personal into, it has a heavy duty zipper that can take the abuse of being opened a bunch and the way my girl smokes, I definitely will need a heavy duty zipper. Actually, probably don't even need a zipper at all, it won't stay closed long enough to matter lol

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hey LoveGrowingIt, are you putting a whole # in those bags? Do you have a set amount you shoot for per bag each cure?
No. I don't fill them. How much I put in them depends on the size of the harvest. As a guess, I probably put about 4 ounces in each bag.

I only keep the bud in the Grove bags for 4 to 6 weeks for curing. After that I use Mason jars.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The bags regulate the RH. I usually put a hygrometer in each bag, but I have yet to have a problem.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
They don't make them with the mechanical hygrometers anymore, just the round digital.
I definitely dig mechanical and no batteries and the ability to calibrate.
I think these are the gauges they used in their lids.
View attachment 2168855

Just to make sure the bag is doing its job, I probably won't put 1 in every bag. I never put 1 in every jar but rotate them weekly.

I bought ounce and 1/2 oz bags so I don't have to expose more then I need to when I need to refill my personal bag. The Grove Glassless Jar I bought is what I'll transfer my personal into, it has a heavy duty zipper that can take the abuse of being opened a bunch and the way my girl smokes, I definitely will need a heavy duty zipper. Actually, probably don't even need a zipper at all, it won't stay closed long enough to matter lol
That’s good to know. And thanks LoveGrowingIt for the info. Looks like I have a few more things to add to the list: )

Newty

Newty

I ended up purchasing a 10 pack of the mini digital round style.
I picked a seller on Amazon that had good reviews for this product but had a realistic total number of reviews. I don't like to buy products that have 8,000 reviews with 7,900 5 star and 100 1 star reviews, doesn't seem legit.
I didn't see in the advertisement that they came with batteries so I purchased a pack of 10 batteries. When the hygrometers arrived, they came with batteries but it's still nice to have extra on hand. I paid $14.38 for 10 hygrometers and $3.99 for the spare batteries.
I tested the hygrometers against a calibrated Controller 69 and a calibrated room hygrometer/thermometer. I found 3 of them to read the same humidity as the 2 calibrated units and the other 7 were minus 1% or 2%, temp was +/- .7.
I decided to trim a small amount and put it in a Grove Bag with one of the hygrometers just to see where I'm at.
First picture is 5 minutes after bagging, Second picture is 1 hour after bagging, and Last picture is 8 hours after bagging.
20240515 232820

20240516 002034

20240516 073058

Top Bottom