What the hell is FIM

• Thread starter Jedsdead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stokes

Stokes

Its a way of topping a plant with an unknown outcome. If you insist on topping just do it so you have a known outcome of 2 known chutes. Also know that topping or fimming do not increase the maximum yield of a plant, each plant has a definite genetic potential. Topping is good for canopy management, its allows for more consistency in quality of buds, not necessarily size. Also, dont top unless you plan on cleaning up the bottom or lollipopping.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
You cut 3/4 of the new growth vs cutting all of the new growth for a topping. It is unpredictable, but potentially 3 or 4 new tops vs the guaranteed 2 tops with topping ✌️

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Its a way of topping a plant with an unknown outcome. If you insist on topping just do it so you have a known outcome of 2 known chutes. Also know that topping or fimming do not increase the maximum yield of a plant, each plant has a definite genetic potential. Topping is good for canopy management, its allows for more consistency in quality of buds, not necessarily size.
Training allows you to maximize the genetic potential so training definitely raises yield. No way untrained can hang with proper training yield wise

Stokes

Stokes

Training allows you to maximize the genetic potential so training definitely raises yield. No way untrained can hang with proper training yield wise
Depends on what type of training youre talking. Ive seen lst alone smash the dogshit out of topping several times.

Youre kinda putting words in my mouth, i never said to not train.

Stokes

Stokes

You cut 3/4 of the new growth vs cutting all of the new growth for a topping. It is unpredictable, but potentially 3 or 4 new tops vs the guaranteed 2 tops with topping ✌️

With each topping bud size is reduced proportionately, i will die on that hill

Stokes

Stokes

These were grown by a friend of mine on another site. Fantastic grower. He would sometimes top his plant 16 or 32 times. Quite possibly some of the best canopies ive ever seen. This was the first time he just lst’d iirc

Im all about topping for canopies, but just saying theres more than one way to skin a cat

IMG 9158

P

Phyto

Its a way of topping a plant with an unknown outcome. If you insist on topping just do it so you have a known outcome of 2 known chutes. Also know that topping or fimming do not increase the maximum yield of a plant, each plant has a definite genetic potential. Topping is good for canopy management, its allows for more consistency in quality of buds, not necessarily size. Also, dont top unless you plan on cleaning up the bottom or lollipopping.
FIM stands for "Fuck I missed", it's where instead of taking the entire apical meristem you just pinch the top of the new growth, but don't take it all off. Pretty much does the same thing, except you normally get more growth points. In any case you'll get two growth points, and usually you get 4, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

All topped, never cleaned out the bottom. Not a perfect canopy, but it doesn't need to be. I disagree that it doesn't increase yield, because it forces lateral growth and sets you up for more bud sites. You can achieve almost the same results by bending/tying your plant down, that's what we used to do back in my Humboldt Daze!

IMG 0942

Stokes

Stokes

FIM stands for "Fuck I missed", it's where instead of taking the entire apical meristem you just pinch the top of the new growth, but don't take it all off. Pretty much does the same thing, except you normally get more growth points. In any case you'll get two growth points, and usually you get 4, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

All topped, never cleaned out the bottom. Not a perfect canopy, but it doesn't need to be. I disagree that it doesn't increase yield, because it forces lateral growth and sets you up for more bud sites. You can achieve almost the same results by bending/tying your plant down, that's what we used to do back in my Humboldt Daze!

View attachment 2174629

It definitely leads to more consistently dense quality bud. But that definitely doesnt mean more. Buds are ALWAYS reduced proportionately in size with each subsequent top. Ive never seen a plant that was topped 32x with a canopy of hand grenades with a reasonable amount of veg time. I think people are misrepresenting what im saying. Topping and training aren’t interchangeable terms. Absolutely train every plant. Topping = training but training =/= topping. I think people struggle with the concept of potential, I said topping does not increase the maximum yield. In other words, it has no effect on what is or is not genetically possible, only increases the likelihood of consistency.

Anyways, my whole point was that with fimming you have an unknown variable outcome. It makes more sense to top once or multiple times, atleast that way you have a predictable outcome

Last edited:
J

Jedsdead

Ok I think I touched a nerve there🤔 but all good points and worth thinking about so well done class. I have 3 glue gelatos so I think I’ll FIM/train 2 and leave the 3rd to it’s own devices to see what happens.
Next question …
How often should I feed and should I be also using just water?

7munkee

7munkee

It doesn't stand for anything. It was the name of the guy who first documented the technique.

Source: Kyle Kushman @ 21 minutes in

Last edited:
Stokes

Stokes

Ok I think I touched a nerve there🤔 but all good points and worth thinking about so well done class. I have 3 glue gelatos so I think I’ll FIM/train 2 and leave the 3rd to it’s own devices to see what happens.
Next question …
How often should I feed and should I be also using just water?

No nerves were touched on my end. Also, train every plant grown in a tent. Whether its topping and/or LST. Untrained plants do well outside, indoors you have 1 single light source that never moves. Buds that dont get adequate lighting leads to larf.

Timing of watering/feeding depends on medium and solubility of nutrients. Water when dry.

T

TheGreatPotoo

would you say topping or FOG helps a plant reach its max potential yield when growing in a confined space, vs Christmas tree?

Stokes

Stokes

would you say topping or FOG helps a plant reach its max potential yield when growing in a confined space, vs Christmas tree?
Depends on number of plants. Just one?

There are pros/cons of topping or just lst. Im gonna be honest here, what is going to effect yield more than anything is proper environment and nutrition more than anything for a new grower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom