About to get into growing, could use some advice

• Thread starter Tofta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DR.PNW

DR.PNW

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

Is this adequate for 12 plants?

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance

Late on the draw here but:

4x8 is good for 8-18 plants, depending on how you like to grow. Your might see some problems with height restrictions with a 6' tent. I would suggest 12-18 smaller plants to avoid height issues.

Eg.10x20 Gorillas with extensions putting them @ just under 8' ceilings is our standard tented room. These grows would be manageable at 7ft for some strains.

Autos are a hard way to enter into cultivation. Growing photo period allows a better understanding and control.

Pre-charged soils are usually well balanced but always require monitoring, and occasionally supplemental feeding.
On the other hand some soils are too hot for younger plants.
Charged soils are great for low-attention grows;
so running a more inert medium and learning about your plants needs will give you a better footing and a more interactive grow.

Coast of Maine has a long line of products, and look like a good company to support.

As for feeding; watching your plants carefully as well as referring to feed schedules, while taking into account any pre-charges is a standard method of gardening. As previously mentioned: some pre-charged soils will be hot enough to kill a seedling while others might only have enough nutrients to support a seedling.

Last edited:
T

tgpeters

That was grown outside, wasn't it? Yield is usually more for outside growers. I'm curious though, was that 80 ounces weighed wet or dry? I'm only asking because the bud in the bucket looks like it was before drying.
No, this was Hydro inside a 4x4 tent. BB3 Auto Flower. That plant probably had 6 or more tie downs to spread the plant across the grow area. So... don't tell me auto's suck due to lower harvest values. I don't sell, my weed, I give it away and don't weigh it. I never said it was 80 oz, some other guy extrapolated a 5 gallon bucket must weigh x. fact is I harvested about 6 gallons of slightly trimmed buds from an auto flower gown inside using a hydro method. It was probably well over 24 quart mason jars (taking a guess), and it was very strong. Image was just after initial trim (cut off the branches and slight trim). Weight? don't know, don't care. I no longer sell weed. Now it's purely for the fun.

Last edited:
Sunasun

Sunasun

No, this was Hydro inside a 4x4 tent. BB3 Auto Flower. That plant probably had 6 or more tie downs to spread the plant across the grow area. So... don't tell me auto's suck due to lower harvest values. I don't sell, my weed, I give it away and don't weigh it. I never said it was 80 oz, some other guy extrapolated a 5 gallon bucket must weigh x. fact is I harvested about 6 gallons of slightly trimmed buds from an auto flower gown inside using a hydro method. It was probably well over 24 quart mason jars (taking a guess), and it was very strong. Image was just after initial trim (cut off the branches and slight trim). Weight? don't know, don't care. I no longer sell weed. Now it's purely for the fun.
Sorry, I weigh mine and use half gallon jars and fit about 4-5 ounces in each. But that's dried and trimmed properly. Sorry for offending you with my usage of elementary math.

T

Tofta

Lights raised, temp is between 76 and 83 humidity is 75% up to 85% and drops into the 50% range if humidifier runs out. For medical reasons the 56-70 day seed to harvest is the main reason

20240118 171408
ReallyOldDude

ReallyOldDude

Tgpeters, first I can't find the thread. From email I could see the bucket.
I don't think people are saying "auto's suck" as they have their place with certain growers. Rather, they are saying they can do way better with photoperiod plants which is true.

I dont like autoflower because they have what i consider inferior ruderalis genes.

Ruderalis is the smallest of canabus plants < 80cm, has almost no THC, short life cycle as is usually done in under 2 and a half months (but some find this a benefit) ... Basically the only reason they a breed into other canibus is it's recessive auto flower genes. But in doing so, the other inferior ruderalis genes are still present.

So typical autoflowers yeild 50gr per plant with super autos up to 250gr per plant (which you probably grew). However some Photoperiods can easily quadruple that. Autoflower have not achieved THC percentage that some photoperiod have. And in fairness to autos, many are seed to flower in less time then some of the photoperiod's are in flower phase alone. But if you are claiming an autoflower can get same yeilds as photoperiod, I have to call BS there.

I do have to note that Autoflower typically are just let to grow because there just isnt available time to recovery before they flower; hence usually does more damage then good. I have to assume you achieved success, or was more successful
with LST ... that's truely exceptional or plain lucky.

I'm not saying autoflower suck or doesn't have its place, because it does. BUT, thoes of us growing photos are doing so because we get more that's better!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
No, this was Hydro inside a 4x4 tent. BB3 Auto Flower. That plant probably had 6 or more tie downs to spread the plant across the grow area.
Okay. Thanks for the correction. Yeah. Hydro is out of my league.

So... don't tell me auto's suck due to lower harvest values.
I didn't say that. I said outdoor plants tend to have higher yields. Ya, know. Like trees.

I don't sell, my weed, I give it away and don't weigh it.
I see. I don't sell mine, but I still am curious about yield.

I never said it was 80 oz, some other guy extrapolated a 5 gallon bucket must weigh x.
I missed that. Sorry.

fact is I harvested about 6 gallons of slightly trimmed buds from an auto flower gown inside using a hydro method. It was probably well over 24 quart mason jars (taking a guess), and it was very strong.
Were those 24 jars from one plant? That must be close to 3 pounds. Wow!

Image was just after initial trim (cut off the branches and slight trim). Weight? don't know, don't care. I no longer sell weed. Now it's purely for the fun.
I cut mine, too, then it's off to the drying tent. It has worked well for me.

T

tgpeters

I grew photos, for many years. I did SOG before SOG was a common process. Not to date myself, but I used SOG with cuttings and rockwool well over 30 years ago when it was first described in a Hi Times magazine. Back then the only good seeds you could get were from Amsterdam. If I could - I would go back to that process in a heartbeat. Amazing & consistent yields per square foot. I probably grew over a few thousand (or more) plants, buying the 4x4 rockwool cubes like 3 or 4 cases at a time.

When I see the commercial hydro grows, that essentially was what I did well over 30 years ago, just smaller scale.

I have some experience. Different tools for different jobs. I don't knock photo. They both have benefits.

Everyone has an opinion, and I don't knock one over the other.

T

tgpeters

Okay. Thanks for the correction. Yeah. Hydro is out of my league.

I didn't say that. I said outdoor plants tend to have higher yields. Ya, know. Like trees.

I see. I don't sell mine, but I still am curious about yield.

I missed that. Sorry.

Were those 24 jars from one plant? That must be close to 3 pounds. Wow!

I cut mine, too, then it's off to the drying tent. It has worked well for me.
Yep one plant. Second round of BB3 pretty much the same yield - A sh__ load. So... I would hardly say it's luck.

Hydro (IMO) is easier then soil. Everything is on timers and sensors. Other than DWC it's pretty hard to over water. I water every hour for around 7 minutes. Water goes in the top and out the bottom. When I did SOG I had a large square tray (lack of a better word) that was simply flooded and then water drained. 1 large water reservoir to maintain, can't get much easier. Unlike DWC, the roots are never exposed / in water for any extended period of time. Root Rot just never happened. Don't be afraid of hydro. My first few years were only soil. Then moved to hydro inside and soil outside.
I'm legal now. and it's a lot more fun. No worries.

If you "really" want massive harvests - per square foot, consider the concept of a perpetual harvest from the Sea of Green. It's easy, but if your not legal, having a few hundred plants at a time, is not a good idea.

Last edited:
T

Tofta

Thinking I should pull these 2 and pop 2 new seeds? The one in the back left popped put its stem went back in the ground and popped back up so it has a near ground level canopy and the stem seems to be anchored down at both the original root and from the portion of stem that curved back into the soil. The one to the right of that just seems stunted it's reserve leaves are yellowing and is far behind the others that sprouted at the same time

20240122 034529
20240122 034450
T

Tofta

Growth is continuing, a few nutrient deficient plants took well to a coffee ground mix I made, coast of maine fishmeal will be in today to start to add to larger plants so it will be available when flowering starts

20240124 130025
20240124 130030
20240124 130059
Sunasun

Sunasun

Growth is continuing, a few nutrient deficient plants took well to a coffee ground mix I made, coast of maine fishmeal will be in today to start to add to larger plants so it will be available when flowering starts
Raise your lights if you can or lower intensity. You're stunting them during the most crucial time, root development. If you fuck the roots now, in the flowering stage, your plant will crash and burn.

T

Tofta

Raise your lights if you can or lower intensity. You're stunting them during the most crucial time, root development. If you fuck the roots now, in the flowering stage, your plant will crash and burn.
Lights were raised again last night 34 inches from canopy in total

T

Tofta

Tallest is the blue cheese and is 17 days from seed it also showed either signs of light burn or nitrogen deficiency, lights have been raised and a small amount of Fish bone meal has been scratched onto the surface for nitrogen and in a few weeks phosphorus to help flowering.

20240125 023931
OldDogger

OldDogger

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

Is this adequate for 12 plants?

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance
Just FYI. The number of legal plants is likely to change down to six per household. The General Assembly is already working on it, and the Governor has said he'd agree to the change. That said, the politicians are in no hurry to act on their part of the law voted on in November. I assume most of them disagree with their constituents on this, and they think that dragging their feet might open an avenue to severely restrict or reverse the new law. Their SOP on facts they don't like is to pretend those facts don't exist. All that said, the law as of this writing still says 12 plants. You might get those autos harvested before the politicians make their move. I hope so. Good luck and get those seeds going.

T

Tofta

Just FYI. The number of legal plants is likely to change down to six per household. The General Assembly is already working on it, and the Governor has said he'd agree to the change. That said, the politicians are in no hurry to act on their part of the law voted on in November. I assume most of them disagree with their constituents on this, and they think that dragging their feet might open an avenue to severely restrict or reverse the new law. Their SOP on facts they don't like is to pretend those facts don't exist. All that said, the law as of this writing still says 12 plants. You might get those autos harvested before the politicians make their move. I hope so. Good luck and get those seeds going.
Good looking out! It should take at least 90 days unless I'm mistaken, I know the Columbus flavor band is in the same situation and it takes 90 days for reversal since they voted to reverse it. If that's the case my harvest will be well before any changes can be made. If it goes down to 6 I'll have to Jumpstart my transition over to photos instead of autos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom