How/when do you choose a 'Mother'?

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

@cpurola you are fixing to go about this all backwards.

The seed plant is the one you want to keep. The clone is what you want to flower.

So plan accordingly to have plants for your outdoor grow.

If not all you have is a clone of a clone of a clone.......and not the original.

The original seed plant will give you the same cutting year after year.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter

The seed plant is the one you want to keep. The clone is what you want to flower.

If not all you have is a clone of a clone of a clone.......and not the original.

I agree 100%

cpurola

cpurola

Thank you! That makes alot of sense.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Yeah i m keeping 1gen clones as mothers instead of plants from seeds just because it's easier in my small appartement and not breaking my harvests rotation.

but ideally yeah you want to keep the plants from seeds as mothers and flowers clones from them and do the selection from thoose flowered clones then discard all the plants from seeds you don't want to keep as mothers.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Thank you! That makes alot of sense.
here an interesting article about clonal degradations:

flowering 2nd gen clones instead of 1gen clones won't be that much different while few mutations can happen amongst clones generation there is low chance they affect significantly enough the final product so you can notice it, on the other hand the genetic will most likely degrade over time after several years.

K

Kingaus

I have been growing from seed outdoors in southeast Michigan for 5 years now.
Most of the resulting plants have been all over the map with growth patterns and THC/CBD levels and hardly ever match the descriptions.
I'm seriously considering setting up an indoor grow area and taking cuttings of a favorite to have a more uniform grow outside for the next year.

Question: When and how do you choose a 'Mother' plant to clone?
After all, you don't get a true idea if it's a 'keeper' until after harvest and the plant is dead and gone.
What am I missing?
I harvest then select out of the first wave of phenotypes of the strain like, I cut clones off every strain I have grown since the start and would give them to my indoor growing friends and sometimes years later get the runt cuts back. Look up 4th generation clone mother. How to lock the DNA in, have to have your strain then clone it then clone it and clone it. Also when the plant finally revegs after you harvest would need a little tent inside with atleast 50-100w led and then give it 24 hours takes over a month and a chance you could leave to much bud or leaf on or to little bud or leaf. I feed like it's in grow during the flip to 24 hours from 12/12. Will be like monster crop to. I have just put my mother from over two years ago. I selected 3 out of 6 cuts off the first seed, as they had the profile I wanted, 3 went yellow not black/dark purple when they ripen and had a diesel smell not lemon

figolus

figolus

I Cut clone of all strain in m'y box before flip 12/12,

I wait for the drying, the final weighing, the curing, the smoke test and I choose the best one that meets all my needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom