Has anyone here used the wyze 3 pro for timelapsing your grow?

• Thread starter wobbleysausage
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

If so have you utilized the night vision feature and did that impact your plants at all? I'm looking at buying 3 of these (would come out to like $150 and the pros have way better resolution than the other models) to use for checking my grow while I'm away and to use for house security in case of a break in although I don't think that would happen for anything I own EXCEPT my grow supplies and maybe musical instruments. Ideally I can do some sort of time-lapse with these.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I've wanted to do something like this for quite a while. That looks like a good camera, but the reviews could be better. I read some time ago that a camera's night vision can cause problems if it comes on when the lights are off. So, that might be something to consider. I've been thinking about using an old web cam and computer to do time lapse. I'd rather do what you've described. I haven't yet looked for software that can do it, though.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

I've wanted to do something like this for quite a while. That looks like a good camera, but the reviews could be better. I read some time ago that a camera's night vision can cause problems if it comes on when the lights are off. So, that might be something to consider. I've been thinking about using an old web cam and computer to do time lapse. I'd rather do what you've described. I haven't yet looked for software that can do it, though.
I'm sure I could put it together myself in DaVinci resolve, I'm slightly computer literate haha. But yeah I am worried the night vision would trigger hermies or it won't be possible to turn off the IR band of light which would be a huge issue. The ones I looked at are like 2k res and wireless (which in and of itself is a security concern if your running any kind of network or server) and are like 40 bucks each.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Some reviewers said the V2 cameras were better. I'm still looking though...

Hey check out a raspberry pi. I don't know if you've heard of them before but I'm going to go with that and make a few of them and see if I can get a really good custom time-lapse. Plus you can add a humidity and temp moniter that runs calculations for vpd and even have it log them remotely to a Google doc. Very neat!

Newty

Newty

I know you're talking about the Wyze, I've not used this camera myself. Posting this in case anyone was considering using a Roku Camera.

I use the Indoor Roku Cameras, quailty definitely could be better and without a subscription it can only record events to an SD card, with a subscription then you cam view event videos on your phone. Live feed is alway available. Roku camera is how I figured out the controller 69 was making my lights shut off a couple times a day for 1-5 seconds, recent contoller updates eliminated the issue.

Roku camera quailty is not that great, I posted a picture below of quailty. Maybe someone has a Wyze or different to compare quality.

I use the photo option on the Roku camera and take a picture every day, then I use my phone to make a gif off all the pictures, easiest way for me to make a time lapse.

I'm sure there's way better cameras in this price range.

7C67AB4DA6F0 1707857177284

Grower1974

Grower1974

I know you're talking about the Wyze, I've not used this camera myself. Posting this in case anyone was considering using a Roku Camera.

I use the Indoor Roku Cameras, quailty definitely could be better and without a subscription it can only record events to an SD card, with a subscription then you cam view event videos on your phone. Live feed is alway available. Roku camera is how I figured out the controller 69 was making my lights shut off a couple times a day for 1-5 seconds, recent contoller updates eliminated the issue.

Roku camera quailty is not that great, I posted a picture below of quailty. Maybe someone has a Wyze or different to compare quality.

I use the photo option on the Roku camera and take a picture every day, then I use my phone to make a gif off all the pictures, easiest way for me to make a time lapse.

I'm sure there's way better cameras in this price range.

View attachment 2123858
Still a fairly great image from an inexpensive Wi-Fi cam. I like your “take a picture daily” idea! I should do that with my O-KAM Wi-Fi tent camera.

Newty

Newty

Still a fairly great image from an inexpensive Wi-Fi cam. I like your “take a picture daily” idea! I should do that with my O-KAM Wi-Fi tent camera.
It's not to bad, it does everything I want it to anyways. I'm happy enough with it!

I'll have to see if I can get a gif to load onto here so others can see, quailty drops a bit with the gif but I think that's my phone itself fault.

I have a camera in each corner of my tent so I take a picture daily from both ends and make them into gifs!

I like the picture daily, it's neat seeing how much they can grow in just a day or 2.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

It's not to bad, it does everything I want it to anyways. I'm happy enough with it!

I'll have to see if I can get a gif to load onto here so others can see, quailty drops a bit with the gif but I think that's my phone itself fault.

I have a camera in each corner of my tent so I take a picture daily from both ends and make them into gifs!

I like the picture daily, it's neat seeing how much they can grow in just a day or 2.
Gif are usually always low quality or atleast they used to be because the max file size is so small. Idk if there's a way around that now. Anywho I think I'm gonna build one of those raspberry pis and learn a few things about them while doing so. Like I commented before I guess they are pretty customizable. The one I saw had the ability to do on the fly vpd calculations while reading your humidity and temps and then logging all of that to a Google docs. You could also hook a camera to it but it becomes much more expensive at that point but atleast you can customize what camera your putting on there. The one I looked at specifically was only like 12 megapixel.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hey check out a raspberry pi.
Thanks for the link!

I think I'm gonna build one of those raspberry pis
That sounds like something I'd like, too, but I'm wondering if a simpler solution might be better for growers who just want pictures or who already have environment controllers with built-in programming.

What I want is a camera package that excels at time-lapse photography, which would include software and network. I sure don't want to pay for a subscription just so I can look at my own data. If a pi could do that, I'd be interested.

Newty

Newty

Gif are usually always low quality or atleast they used to be because the max file size is so small. Idk if there's a way around that now. Anywho I think I'm gonna build one of those raspberry pis and learn a few things about them while doing so. Like I commented before I guess they are pretty customizable. The one I saw had the ability to do on the fly vpd calculations while reading your humidity and temps and then logging all of that to a Google docs. You could also hook a camera to it but it becomes much more expensive at that point but atleast you can customize what camera your putting on there. The one I looked at specifically was only like 12 megapixel.
Gif is lower quailty but still not horrible IMO. This forum doesn't support .gif files. I tried to screen record it but the quailty dropped even more so I couldn't post the file for people to see.

Raspberry Pi is a good platform, I also toy with Arduino. Both have great communities to learn how to build and code. I've made smart plugs, cameras, rc cars, cranes, thermometers, hygrometers, etc. Couple years ago I had a cheap coffee maker, I was able to build a device that turned it on every morning for me. My biggest builds with these platforms were my wifi reptile misting system, I use a humidity probe to turn on and off my misting systems based on humidity reading. I also built a wifi reptile thermostat that dims the heating device to keep constant temp based on probe reading, instead of an on/off style that fluctuates a couple degrees. There's literally endless possibilities, just do your research and be safe when working with electricity!

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Gif is lower quailty but still not horrible IMO. This forum doesn't support .gif files. I tried to screen record it but the quailty dropped even more so I couldn't post the file for people to see.

Raspberry Pi is a good platform, I also toy with Arduino. Both have great communities to learn how to build and code. I've made smart plugs, cameras, rc cars, cranes, thermometers, hygrometers, etc. Couple years ago I had a cheap coffee maker, I was able to build a device that turned it on every morning for me. My biggest builds with these platforms were my wifi reptile misting system, I use a humidity probe to turn on and off my misting systems based on humidity reading. I also built a wifi reptile thermostat that dims the heating device to keep constant temp based on probe reading, instead of an on/off style that fluctuates a couple degrees. There's literally endless possibilities, just do your research and be safe when working with electricity!
Awesome, and yeah electricity scares me for sure. I'm gonna give it a go im not super great with computers. I did build mine but at this point in time thats basically just plug in things right haha. If I can get a raspberry pi to also run a mister and my lights or whatever else, that will be great. I'll start with some time-lapse stuff to learn haha.

Newty

Newty

I will say that you will probably not save as much money as you think building with Raspberry Pi and Arduino once you start adding shields, sensors, lcds, outlets, etc. The main benefit is learning, being creative, and being able to customize the build to your personal needs.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
We have family members who like devices like the raspberry pi. I've never been able to tolerate the frustration of trying to use Linux. Anyway, I'm pursuing a different approach.

I've been working to see if an old cell phone could be used for doing timelapse. It could be much cheaper than using a timelapse camera. Evidently, intervalometer software can be installed for picture taking. Then separate software can be used to stitch the individual images into a video. There's plenty of software for that, too. I have a spare phone I can use for testing. I'm putting the pieces together and will post again if I have any success.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Every grow…

Wyze cam V3 pros

5 minute intervals, for the night vision use the “near” settings (940nm) above plants visible light spectrum. My camera is less than a foot from large colas every grow with no herm issues, the “far” setting is 840nm and is too close to IR, even when changing this setting at night you can see the light increase on the camera covering the plants, so stay in “near” with power indicator off (light on front of the camera is a red LED that may affect flowering not sure of the spectrum on that specific LED
We have family members who like devices like the raspberry pi. I've never been able to tolerate the frustration of trying to use Linux. Anyway, I'm pursuing a different approach.

I've been working to see if an old cell phone could be used for doing timelapse. It could be much cheaper than using a timelapse camera. Evidently, intervalometer software can be installed for picture taking. Then separate software can be used to stitch the individual images into a video. There's plenty of software for that, too. I have a spare phone I can use for testing. I'm putting the pieces together and will post again if I have any success.
nah pick up the wyze cams there about $30 (plus a micro SD chip) but they work great been using mine for a few grows now and love watching the time lapses

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
nah pick up the wyze cams there about $30 (plus a micro SD chip) but they work great been using mine for a few grows now and love watching the time lapses
Thanks. For only $30 it's worth a try and the image quality looks great. I found a way to do it with a phone camera. The ProShot software was $7. Its max interval is only 2 minutes, but I'm still learning how to use it. For that price, it looks like a good addition to my S23 Ultra.

It's fascinating to see how the plants move with the light changes.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thanks. For only $30 it's worth a try and the image quality looks great. I found a way to do it with a phone camera. The ProShot software was $7. Its max interval is only 2 minutes, but I'm still learning how to use it. For that price, it looks like a good addition to my S23 Ultra.

It's fascinating to see how the plants move with the light changes.
Can do internals from minutes to days with the wyze cams

5 minute intervals for 7 days can be uploaded, if you go to 4 or less the file size is too large (around 380mb)

S

SnoopingAsUsualI

Every grow…

Wyze cam V3 pros

5 minute intervals, for the night vision use the “near” settings (940nm) above plants visible light spectrum. My camera is less than a foot from large colas every grow with no herm issues, the “far” setting is 840nm and is too close to IR, even when changing this setting at night you can see the light increase on the camera covering the plants, so stay in “near” with power indicator off (light on front of the camera is a red LED that may affect flowering not sure of the spectrum on that specific LED

well for 30$ that filmed hell damn well I'd say

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Can do internals from minutes to days with the wyze cams

5 minute intervals for 7 days can be uploaded, if you go to 4 or less the file size is too large (around 380mb)
A reviewer said a subscription was needed to do timelapse and some other things. Is that true?

lenhug

lenhug

Every grow…

Wyze cam V3 pros

Another vote for the Wyze here. Cheap, simple to use and pic/vid quality far better than I expected.

Top Bottom