Heat Damage To Seedling, So. Cal. Outdoor

• Thread starter Bakataha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bakataha

Bakataha

FIRST GROW EVER. Growing 6 plants outdoor in Southern California in Los Angeles County. It gets really hot down here, obviously. I'm thinking about getting one of those garden sail sun shade things for my greenhouse, which would give it a much needed temperature drop because my yard gets every second of sun, as long as it's up. I'll leave a little pic of one of the seedlings, and any suggestions are very much welcome, and appreciated! Thanks, and have a wonderful weekend!
Heat damage to seedling so cal outdoor

Quagmire

Quagmire

By the looks of the burnt tips it may also be nutrient burn.. either from the soil being to hot, and by this I mean to much food in the soil for baby plants.. or feeding to much to soon.. try adding some coco or peat to your mix on starting them and once they get established you can then top dress with fresh soil .. I usually try not to feed first 2wks or so... mix soils with food 50/50 with coco/coir... good luck man.

Bakataha

Bakataha

No feeding yet. Definitely wanted to pick up some long cut peat, and I have less mulchy soil in my fabric pots for transplanting, if they make it. If they don't, they're freebie seeds. I plan to move my gh into the back yard where there's a lot more shade. It probably stays like 10 degrees cooler, but still getting sun. We'll see where it goes. I'm goping for the best. I wasn't going to give them nutes until 2-3 weeks. Only day 7 here for the oldest one.

Bakataha

Bakataha

I was also considering just buying one of those garden shades you put above your plants. Looks like a fabric tarp, kinda

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I'd take her in under a cfl or something less srtessful. At least till she recovers a bit. Like @Seamaiden said the roots are probably too hot. She's super stressed. She should go somewhere she can relax. Being that young she doesn't need the full power of the sun.

Bakataha

Bakataha

I moved the ladies into the backgard out of direct sunlight. Strongly considering buying some mesh tarps to throw over my greenhouse to make it shady. Also, I have gravel on the floor so I plan to hose that down with cool water as much as I can to keep it cooler. If that doesn't work out, I may just move my greenhouse to the backyard all together. Also keeping the floor wet in the backyard so it's cooler for the recovering seedlings. Thank you guys for suggestions. More are always welcomed :)

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I'd wait for a couple healthy nodes. Something like 2 weeks. I'd just make sure they are healthy and happy first. Sometimes they recover quick and sometimes they don't at all. Just be as gentle as you can. They will show you it they are happy.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Cheers brother. Good luck with them babies. I lost 2 babies recently, just stalled out... I've only grown indoors and hydro but I like starting them under florecents. I use a t5, its really gentle let's you get them established. This is my 10 day old OG auto.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I can't wait for an outside grow. But inside I try to start a new auto about once a month. No room for a big grow. So I need to be chopping one down close to every month to supplement my cost as much as possible.

Bakataha

Bakataha

Would it be that expensive to get a small indoor grow op started with cfls, and soil? Like 2, maybe even 4 plants?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Would it be that expensive to get a small indoor grow op started with cfls, and soil? Like 2, maybe even 4 plants?
Lol that's a loaded question. I'm not a dirt guy. But I would buy a 250w hps/mh over cfl. Cfl are OK for starting but ime just not intense enough for good growth or flower. I just bought a 600w dimmable hps with hood timer and hangers for $90. Fox farm dirt is $20 for a small bag. And floranova bloom is $20 for a liter/quart. You'll need a fan and pots but should be able to grow some bad ass plants with that. @FrankieCoste grows some beauties under a 250w.

Bakataha

Bakataha

Dude, order your fox farms online. I've seen 1.5cu ft for 25 bucks on amazon for fox farms ocean forest blend. That's pretty killer, isn't it? It's not a 12 quart. I already have a couple of fabric pots. They're inexpensive. I'm just concerned about a tent/light setup. I'm also afraid of getting a cooling system set up. Well, afraid is a really poor word for it, more like skeptical about the cooling of the room with all of the lights and everything, and getting the hot air out.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Dude, order your fox farms online. I've seen 1.5cu ft for 25 bucks on amazon for fox farms ocean forest blend. That's pretty killer, isn't it? It's not a 12 quart. I already have a couple of fabric pots. They're inexpensive. I'm just concerned about a tent/light setup. I'm also afraid of getting a cooling system set up. Well, afraid is a really poor word for it, more like skeptical about the cooling of the room with all of the lights and everything, and getting the hot air out.
Well I'm in a 2x4x7 tent they run about $60. And I don't run ventilation but have to open the tent in the morning and close at night. You could add a cool tube and 4" fan and controller for about 150 with the duct. If you want a carbon filter for smell that's another 60. And 90% of what I use in my grow comes from online. So ...
Tent 60
Nutes 20
Soil 25
Cool tube, 600w dimmable balast and bulb, hangers, timer. 90
Fan and duct 80
You have pots.
300 gets you in the ballpark

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Hey guys!
Hope you're well!
Thank you for your kind words Jay!
Bakataha, I empathise deeply. Heat really is something that has been disturbing all my plants since I started to grow (and it's still winter...!!!). The reason for that is the small size of my cab (2x2x5), which is located in a small room too, where temp does not drop below 70-75F. I've put a fan and a humidifier in the small room near the cab, and they help the plants survive I suppose... Heat definitely impacts on the quality of the smoke, as some of the terpenes (which give smell and taste) seem to dissipate at 75F+.
When I harvested my first plant (Grapefruit), I looked at the buds, and was like 'Weird, this looks like outdoor weed', then I realised it simply was because of the heat. It makes the buds airy/fluffy apparently...
Anyways, heat can definitely be an issue if not prepared...
I wish I could buy myself a small AC or something... I guess this is the only thing that would truly work at reducing heat near the cab...
Well I hope you'll figure something out brother!
Let's keep each other updated, and perhaps we'll end up with some kind of solution to the heat problem?!
PEACE!

Latest posts

Top Bottom