Heat Damage To Seedling, So. Cal. Outdoor

• Thread starter Bakataha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpiderK

SpiderK

Well if your not building the small evap then yes planting directly into soil would be the next best thing. Those small grow bags will warm up fast especially black fabric will retain heat. Your better off using the cheap plastic white bags from the hydro store .....
@Bakataha
In this thread I dropped some pic's of my grow's and white grow bags. Many people give advice without showing pictures. I grow A+ outdoor but my area has the perfect environment. The forums are filled with ton's of advice by people never backing up talk with pictures. And your location is not humbolt that holds the humidity at 42º latitude .....

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...t-pots-vs-in-ground.79353/page-2#post-1644487

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Seamaiden

He would keep his temps in the 70's w/ humidity with the ( Build your own DIY 5 gallon bucket no-ice evap air conditioner ) that I posted in this thread. Your product turns out much better in the perfect environment. I figured with only three plants for personal use he would want A+ .....

Would not really kill the electric bill adding this. Sure it will grow in the high temp's low humidity in summer but the product will suffer. Most the outdoor grown in cali has tons of extra leaf other issues because of the stress from high temp's and low humidity !!
I get your goals here, I really do, but an evaporative cooler isn't going to work very well, if at all, in his location. He's easily within 30 miles of the coast, which means he gets the marine layer that the SoCal coast is famous for. Here, it's even got its own Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Gloom
(Now I've gotta look for the May gray page! July...? Sometimes it's a July fry, but often the marine layer sticks around well into August.)
Thank you for the detailed replies @Seamaiden. Your advice is really helping my understanding of growing some herbs, here :). I really appreciate it. I believe my main problem here is I'm simply overthinking it. I've seen videos of outdoor grows in Palm Springs, Mojave, Arizona, So. Colorado (basically az) and think about all the herb in Afghanistan, and Morocco, and places like that. DESERTS. All I have to do is what you said. Try to make sure the roots stay cool. I'm thinking about ditching the plastic around the greenhouse, NBD because it's cheap and I have more. I'm going to keep the pvc structure, and wrap it with some black, or green mesh to provide some shade for it, and then I may get a good layer of hay, or maybe mulch to throw on top of the soil to keep it cool underneath? I feel mulch would just bake, though, but I know it gets cooler a couple of inches down. I just need to get these out of seedling stage fast, and into my 5 gals with some of your plastic suggestion(would the paper get moldy?) And then they will be able to take the heat. You were right :). Not that I doubted you, I just needed to do more research into my desert like climate and growing herb in it. It's supposedly great for it, just need to raise these little girls up a bit so they can take the brutal beating. I've also heard that people get that water retention crystal nonsense that expand and they throw them in the soil and they absorb water and slow release as the soil dries, resulting in cooler soil.
Ditch the shade cloth, keep it on hand in case it gets really hot and you lose seedlings and have to start more. OR, use the shade cloth to shade the side of the house, because that stucco holds onto a lot of heat and reflects it back out, especially if that's a south-facing wall.

Keep the mulch layer thick and it's going to do a great job of maintaining moisture *and* keeping the soil cool. You can add those water crystal thingies, I haven't used them, my understanding is that how well they work is much a function of the soil itself.

Don't use hay, use straw. Hay will begin decomposing and cause you problems, straw won't do that for quite a while.

Paper on the outside of a pot or bucket doesn't really get moldy, IME. If it's got print on it, that will bleed off as you water, etc, no big deal. Don't forget the used soil bags here, they really work! I used to use old telephone wire to tie it around my pots, but anything will work. I just used what I had on hand.

Bakataha

Bakataha

OH, I thought you meant line the INSIDE of the pots. Okay, so I'll throw those around the outside with some cables, or bungee chords or something of the sort. It's definitely going to get hot here. Easily 100 soon as july hits. I'm about 30-40 miles from the Ventura Coast. I'm pretty darn close to the 126, if you know where that is. Lots of avocados, and oranges growing out there. And that's maybe only hmmm like 20 miles from me. I'll just have to make sure that soil stays watered and cool. Hell, they grow apparently a ton of herb up in Fresno, CA. Supposedly over 300 outdoor farms up there, and that is way more desert than where I'm currently located. I get the same amount of sun as an open field out there, though :)

Bakataha

Bakataha

@SpiderK WOOWWWWW those are some immaculate buds, man. Seriously, bravo. I'm looking to grow some shit like that, hopefully one day. I'm feeling some sort of breakthrough in some growing knowledge here, and thank you all so damn much!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
OH, I thought you meant line the INSIDE of the pots. Okay, so I'll throw those around the outside with some cables, or bungee chords or something of the sort. It's definitely going to get hot here. Easily 100 soon as july hits. I'm about 30-40 miles from the Ventura Coast. I'm pretty darn close to the 126, if you know where that is. Lots of avocados, and oranges growing out there. And that's maybe only hmmm like 20 miles from me. I'll just have to make sure that soil stays watered and cool. Hell, they grow apparently a ton of herb up in Fresno, CA. Supposedly over 300 outdoor farms up there, and that is way more desert than where I'm currently located. I get the same amount of sun as an open field out there, though :)

Not terribly familiar, I spent most of my time in Nixon territory. Both my kids were born in Whittier. Once my dad got out of the Navy we landed first in Hacienda Heights, and then in La Habra Heights, which is where the Haas avocado was first grown. The mother tree died 11yrs ago. If you take a look at a map you'll see that the distance to the ocean isn't terribly different, though you could see the sea from my parents' backyard, and on clear days you could see Catalina Island.

What's your soil type? In the heights it's a heavy, almost black clay that turns into little polillos (turd balls) during summer. LOTS of limestone, so the water is super hard and alkaline. If you decide to stay in those fabric pots, like I said back at the start of the thread, my own suggestion is to cover them with plastic, and in this case I would think the soil bags would work best here. You could literally just pin or staple them to the bags. That will save you water and keep the roots cooler, much cooler.

Bakataha

Bakataha

Not terribly familiar, I spent most of my time in Nixon territory. Both my kids were born in Whittier. Once my dad got out of the Navy we landed first in Hacienda Heights, and then in La Habra Heights, which is where the Haas avocado was first grown. The mother tree died 11yrs ago. If you take a look at a map you'll see that the distance to the ocean isn't terribly different, though you could see the sea from my parents' backyard, and on clear days you could see Catalina Island.

What's your soil type? In the heights it's a heavy, almost black clay that turns into little polillos (turd balls) during summer. LOTS of limestone, so the water is super hard and alkaline. If you decide to stay in those fabric pots, like I said back at the start of the thread, my own suggestion is to cover them with plastic, and in this case I would think the soil bags would work best here. You could literally just pin or staple them to the bags. That will save you water and keep the roots cooler, much cooler.
Definitely going to take your advice and throw those bags around them, once I get them transplanted out of the solo cups I have the seedlings in currently. I was thinking of throwing2 into these, unfortunately, black plastic pots, maybe a 2 gal? Literally just for the hell of it. I was going to throw the badly burned plants from the neeming in these. There's only 2. I have high hopes for the other plants. As for soil in the area, I'm not too sure. I'm in a valley, and everywhereyou hike out here its rocky as hell. There is some Angeles National forest nearby, and that soil is soft soft soft and fluffy. They bust a lot of grows out there. My area looks like there would be an old western movie shot out here. I know there have been, so heh.

Bakataha

Bakataha

I've also come to learn that seedlings don't need direct exposure to sunlight until they get their like 3rd set of leaves. RIP. The more you learn. They seem to be recovering just fine. 1 or two may not make it, but nbd. It's all a learning process. I can always probably get some more freebie seeds and start a couple new plants, and start them off a bit more properly. We'll see how it goes:)

Bakataha

Bakataha

Here's a little recovery update. This one is the most far along. Poor girl. She's coming back, though :)
I think this one may just be a different strain entirely. It's leaves are skinnier, and longer. Maybea sativa dom?!?!?!?

FrankieCoste

FrankieCoste

Looking great!!!
And thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience...much appreciated!!
Although not growing outdoors, I feel like I have much to learn from everything you're talking about here, especially since I also have heat problems...!
Thanks for sharing!
Peace,

Bakataha

Bakataha

Looking great!!!
And thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience...much appreciated!!
Although not growing outdoors, I feel like I have much to learn from everything you're talking about here, especially since I also have heat problems...!
Thanks for sharing!
Peace,
BRUH! This is only my very first grow! I haven't even grown tomatoes yet! We're learning together, my dude! :) @FrankieCoste

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've also come to learn that seedlings don't need direct exposure to sunlight until they get their like 3rd set of leaves. RIP. The more you learn. They seem to be recovering just fine. 1 or two may not make it, but nbd. It's all a learning process. I can always probably get some more freebie seeds and start a couple new plants, and start them off a bit more properly. We'll see how it goes:)
Maybe they don't "need" it, but in my opinion it's a lot better, and easier, to get them hardened off ASAP.

I personally can't advocate for planting two unsexed seedlings in the same pot, it usually leads to headaches.

Bakataha

Bakataha

They're all going to be in their own pots. I was just wondering if it would be okay if I threw one or two plants in such a small container. I also got my fabric pots wrapped with the soil bags @Seamaiden today. They're looking good, and I cut them with peate, and compost. Things are swinging around a little. Only time will tell, though. I can't wait to get these transplanted into their bigger pots, and to really see them start to fill out.

Bakataha

Bakataha

Found out the dollar store in my area has green shade cloth for gardens. It's worth going to look at. I saw them in the add that came yesterday

Bakataha

Bakataha

Got the guerilla tent up to so cal code. Ditched the plastic and wrapped her in this dollar store netting :). I doubled up on the layers. It was also long enough to go around the entire front, so it's basically 4 layers of "cloth" it's very airy, though. Plenty of sunlight will get through. The pots are also nice and wrapped in plastic :). Hopefully we'll be doing some transplanting soon!
20160302 170102
20160302 084730
20160302 084653

Bakataha

Bakataha

Update: it's a miracle, rain came to so cal this weekend. I stuck these little ladies under a cfl in my room, and they're really exploding, probably from not being outside in the 45 degree cold every night. Idk, really. Maybe the bulb is doing them justoce in their young seedling stage? I know a lot of people start their plants indoor under lights, then take them out and harden them off. It's only a 2,700k bulb, but it's right on top of em, and the shits real bright. I can look at the sun longer than the bulb, really. The rain is supposed to go away for awhile, so I'll probably be sticking them back outside today. I'll throw in some update pics. Maybe I should just start a noobie grow journal, or I'll just turn this thread into one because all the pix... thanks anyways

sumerianak

sumerianak

a question: my seedlings cotyledon leaves are dying while i only have first set of leaves, will this kill my seedlings? or cAn the plant manage to continue grow without 'em? the seedlings are 1 week old.

Top Bottom