How do you pop clones?

• Thread starter GreenThumbGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

I was a little confused last night when I responded 🤩

I’ve only made a few attempts. But I have been successful.

I watched a video where a guy cut the limb off the plant with a sterile, cutting tool. Being careful not to crush the plant material.

Then he put it in a glass of water, so that air didn’t get into it. Then he cut this about a half inch slit up the middle and scraped the sides of the cut it end.

Then he dipped it in cloning gel, and then cloning, Powder. I just put it straight in the dirt, here’s a pic of the best one I’ve done and what I use. That gel and powder together were less than 20 bucks.

There’s also a pic of a clone attempt that somehow hasn’t died, but she doesn’t look too good. Lol.

Edit to add I don’t know if it was the video or somewhere else. It said that ANY cloning gel or powder will work with some working better with either Powder or gel that’s why used both.
Pretty much my process minus the gel. One thing I try to do is always have 2 nodes buried and pour a little of the rooting power into the hole in the medium before inserting the clone and keep the humidity as high as you can for the first week.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Same here, I'm using rooting harmone from lowes and and rooting into a pre made mixture of organic potting soil and Dr Earth dry amendments. Mixed up and watered thoroughly 1 week before rooting clones. I keep them at 80/80 humidity and temp and typicaly at 10 days roots are shooting out the bottom of the pot with nice new growth. With the nutrients from the dry amendments kicking in about the same time roots are developing I'm able to keep the clones in the small pots they were rooted in until I'm ready to do something with them without feeding nutes.
I take smaller cuts off my plants, just off some of the bottom branches. I just need them to live...the time it takes to root and grow into a fully vegged and ready to flower plant has to co- ordinate with my tent so I've 2.5 months to veg any earlier I've no where to put it/them.

GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

I take smaller cuts off my plants, just off some of the bottom branches. I just need them to live...the time it takes to root and grow into a fully vegged and ready to flower plant has to co- ordinate with my tent so I've 2.5 months to veg any earlier I've no where to put it/them.
Yea, timing is crucial, especially with limited space. I'm running a perpetual grow with 2 4x4s and a 4x8 shorty veg tent. Harvesting every 1 4x4 every 4/6 weeks. Gives me 4-6 weeks to veg (keeping 2 bonsai trained momas for clones. 4 plant runs are working great.
Theese clones will be flowering in 6 weeks.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Clonex seems to cost considerably more than gel/solution from other brands. Is it really that much better? Doesnt it just come down to the concentration of rooting hormones?
Its way too expensive...never again......lots of alternatives...but the shit helps. I've used honey, aloe, and powders too and I'm not 100% its any better than anything else...it might just be me....lol...something took me from 75% - 100%...

I always take 2 cuts just to make sure but every things growing now. Even cuts I ignore and just have in water sitting in my veg closet sprout roots......

I always cut at 45* scrape & a slight slash sideways on the soft stalk in 2 - 3 places place a drop of the clonex on the fresh meat put in pre made hole with a drop of the stuff in the hole. Dome, spray cuts twice a day for 10 - 12 days then take out of the dome and place them still off the light on the edge of my grow for a few days before I transplant and feed.

GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

I was a little confused last night when I responded 🤩

I’ve only made a few attempts. But I have been successful.

I watched a video where a guy cut the limb off the plant with a sterile, cutting tool. Being careful not to crush the plant material.

Then he put it in a glass of water, so that air didn’t get into it. Then he cut this about a half inch slit up the middle and scraped the sides of the cut it end.

Then he dipped it in cloning gel, and then cloning, Powder. I just put it straight in the dirt, here’s a pic of the best one I’ve done and what I use. That gel and powder together were less than 20 bucks.

There’s also a pic of a clone attempt that somehow hasn’t died, but she doesn’t look too good. Lol.

Edit to add I don’t know if it was the video or somewhere else. It said that ANY cloning gel or powder will work with some working better with either Powder or gel that’s why used both.
That little one needs a humidity boost. id sugest taking a ziplock bag, spraying th inside and put it over the pot like a dome and she should bounce back in 4 or 5 days.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yea, timing is crucial, especially with limited space. I'm running a perpetual grow with 2 4x4s and a 4x8 shorty veg tent. Harvesting every 1 4x4 every 4/6 weeks. Gives me 4-6 weeks to veg (keeping 2 bonsai trained momas for clones. 4 plant runs are working great.
Theese clones will be flowering in 6 weeks.
sounds like a nice set up...I don't keep moms, I take cuts, flip the mom & raise the kids when moms done so are the kids so I take cuts off the kids and flip them....the cycle continues....I've 7 - 8 different strains going now...with 2 tents a 5x5 and a 3x3 with an 8x3 veg closet. I have a revegged auto going...4 months old and another month plus before I've anywhere to put her. I just put her in a 5 gal pot today, I could see signs of stunting...I've pics in my profile of her

GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

sounds like a nice set up...I don't keep moms, I take cuts, flip the mom & raise the kids when moms done so are the kids so I take cuts off the kids and flip them....the cycle continues....I've 7 - 8 different strains going now...with 2 tents a 5x5 and a 3x3 with an 8x3 veg closet. I have a revegged auto going...4 months old and another month plus before I've anywhere to put her. I just put her in a 5 gal pot today, I could see signs of stunting...I've pics in my profile of her
Sweet! Sounds very simular to my set up. I also use the same technique for most of my strains but I had this one wedding Cake that was super dank that I forgot to pull clones from so I pulled and cloned a budsite at 8 weeks into flower. What's that....a super crop or something like that lol. Took 2 months to see any type of new growth but she's banging now! And the second little moma is a normal clone that mutated...it knuckled up at the first node and started shooting branches off like a Supercroped clone. No training or anything so l just had to hold onto her. Pulled 6 clones off of each a few days ago and I'll probably put theese to flower next cycle.

20230423 191519
20230423 191525

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I've run pretty much all the different ways you can clone but dusting with rooting powder and sticking them in the soil has been the most successful for me. I usually take fairly large cuts so no less than 3 nodes on my cuts.

Top Bottom