Is it normal to smell hay-ish smell on second day of drying?

• Thread starter bestbudgrowtraining
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

My humidity fluctuates from 58%-62% and my temperature stays between 68-72

The strain is Zkittles. I thought I did good but now I smell hay. I don’t understand what I did wrong

bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

Every dry there will be a hay period while the chlorophyll burn out. Totally normal as long as it goes away eventually
thank you! I started freaking out and wow didn't realize how attached I am to these plants. It ruined my entire day until I read a few posts on how it is totally normal and should go away. I am grabbing an ac unit today to get the temp down to 60....

so, I was also under the impression that I need it to be in total darkness. but, as long as the sunlight doesn't hit it, it will be fine correct?

Z

Zill

It has nothing to do with chlorophyll. What you are picking up is the aroma of coumarins. Normal and will fade over time. Just like your lawn clippings. Chlorophyll is neither volatile nor aromatic. It has no “flavor”.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
It has nothing to do with chlorophyll. What you are picking up is the aroma of coumarins. Normal and will fade over time. Just like your lawn clippings. Chlorophyll is neither volatile nor aromatic. It has no “flavor”.
Ok, so pump nitrogen in flower, fill the leaves with chlorophyll , get them dark and waxy and then see that hay smell, will never go away. The chlorophyll obviously have a direct effect on the hay smell.

Z

Zill

Sorry Canna. Chlorophyll does not have the molecular structure to be in possession of a “smell”. It cannot. You are picking up coumarins.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I haven't had a problem with hay taste or odor. Maybe I've been lucky. It could be that drying, curing and storage are the most important part of growing while also being the most overlooked.

I just did some reading on the subject, and saw that drying buds too rapidly can cause hay smell. The idea is that the inner parts of the buds don't dry well. So, the idea is that the residual moisture causes the problem. I dry the buds slowly, so maybe that's why I've been lucky. I use a tent for drying. The tent is well ventilated and has a fan inside for air circulation. It's also very dark inside, which deactivates chlorophyll and that provides a better color (in my opinion). The tent has Inkbird controllers for temperature and humidity.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Sorry Canna. Chlorophyll does not have the molecular structure to be in possession of a “smell”. It cannot. You are picking up coumarins.
Your reading comprehension is poor. I stated it has a direct effect, not the molecule itself producing the odor which is what you are arguing.

Z

Zill

Nope. I think it was the obtuse manner in which you attempted to say chlorophyll has role in coumarin synthesis. Weak.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I’m definitely not getting involved with zill and the rest of it noooo wayyy 🤣🙈

Just saying i normally don’t get that hay taste I did with a recent crop on just one plant it tasted like crap. a mth or less more i dunno it tasted normal just a case of time bud

bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

I haven't had a problem with hay taste or odor. Maybe I've been lucky. It could be that drying, curing and storage are the most important part of growing while also being the most overlooked.

I just did some reading on the subject, and saw that drying buds too rapidly can cause hay smell. The idea is that the inner parts of the buds don't dry well. So, the idea is that the residual moisture causes the problem. I dry the buds slowly, so maybe that's why I've been lucky. I use a tent for drying. The tent is well ventilated and has a fan inside for air circulation. It's also very dark inside, which deactivates chlorophyll and that provides a better color (in my opinion). The tent has Inkbird controllers for temperature and humidity.
I as well use a tent for drying. I have humidity at 58-62% at all times. Right now it's at %59 which is ideal. fan is going as well. It's also very very dark

bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

does it need to be pitch dark in my tent? I have the top 1/4 unzipped because it gets too humid or not humid enough with the tent zipped up. With it unzipped about 1/4 of the way it stays at a perfect humidity. imo.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
does it need to be pitch dark in my tent? I have the top 1/4 unzipped because it gets too humid or not humid enough with the tent zipped up. With it unzipped about 1/4 of the way it stays at a perfect humidity. imo.
I don't know if it needs to be completely dark in the tent. Many growers don't dry in the dark. I'm sure darkness deactivates chlorophyll, though, and I also believe chlorophyll affects flavor.

I was just about to post about this... I read that chlorophyll can remove odors. So, it dawned on me that that might not be what we want, because the smell of well-cured weed is truly special. We wouldn't want to diminish it. I dry in a dark tent. Then I cure the buds in Grove bags for 4 to 6 weeks in a dark cabinet. After that I finish trimming and put the buds in amber-colored glass jars that are kept in the dark.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I’m definitely not getting involved with zill and the rest of it noooo wayyy 🤣🙈

Just saying i normally don’t get that hay taste I did with a recent crop on just one plant it tasted like crap. a mth or less more i dunno it tasted normal just a case of time bud

Nope. I think it was the obtuse manner in which you attempted to say chlorophyll has role in coumarin synthesis. Weak.

Ok, then what terms on Google scholar will lead me towards your conclusion? In all seriousness I want to look it up. If you have a paper to recommend I have access to the portal so I can get them all. So don't hold back i love thats stuff😂
Also I use egg shells mainly for a free calcium source. You asked me this question a little while back, sorry for missing it.
Hopefully I'm not coming off as being too much of a dick. I see cap thinks your cool so that's enough for me. ✌

C

chronic2

Yep, mine is over a year old, just smelled it, smells just like hay with a pinch of horse piss. For sure, does not have the smell of a robust Hawaiian lei, but a past its shelf life is a dull spice rack.

Dry, cure, storage and burp that shit up? Oh fuck no. It's hangs and dries in the garage. I take it down when I'm good and ready. Fucking shit is nasty, like I have to burp and stick a thermostat up its rectal ass if I could find it.

Since man started eating plants and found this one? Yeah, they made urns that cured in some temp steady environment? They had rectal thermometers 4000yrs ago to dry their buds? I'd more guess they hung it in the garage like the old days.... Burp!

That was the bong water. Home he here at home grows and learns this shit on his own. Twat you do with your shit, reading all that shit&burp... Tell my pot it out burped all that drying process? Paranoid puffs R Us. Hang it dang it.

Signed,
Garage Band vs. Burp Band

clusterfucktuesday

clusterfucktuesday

When you first hang it, it will smell great and the terps will be strong, then the grassy hay smell comes - usually around day 3/4, especially in your environment, which is pretty close to perfect. The smell will come back completey, just make sure you keep it hanging until that happens. I don’t trim and bag until anywhere from day 12 to day 25. If you bag or jar while it still smells like hay, you‘ll be stuck with it.

I bag and store using Grove bags, but only after that dry/cure period in the tent. I have a few pounds in that stage now - day 4.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I have run out of space for drying... I don't have direct light on my drying buds...airflow going across and not on it... I've noticed I'll have awesome smelling buds... a couple of "hay days" and then right back to sweet smelling again... I don't have perfect conditions but rest assured after a few days pinch a bud again and then smell...

As for curing if your get the hay smell in your jars... pull all bids out and rest preferably on a screen overnight and re jar in a.m.

20231026 175128
20231026 175118
bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

I have run out of space for drying... I don't have direct light on my drying buds...airflow going across and not on it... I've noticed I'll have awesome smelling buds... a couple of "hay days" and then right back to sweet smelling again... I don't have perfect conditions but rest assured after a few days pinch a bud again and then smell...

As for curing if your get the hay smell in your jars... pull all bids out and rest preferably on a screen overnight and re jar in a.m.
damn brother, thank you for letting me know this info. I have been so upset with myself thinking the hay smell will not go away due to something I've done.

Top Bottom