Is it normal to smell hay-ish smell on second day of drying?

• Thread starter bestbudgrowtraining
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

It's a natural process... you want your buds I would say 90% crispy and a tiny bit soft middle... I hang dry my plant whole between 10 and 20 days depending on temps
Ty I took them down and jarred them at day 16 and only a few stems were snappy. The other barely snapped or just bent hard. They are smelling great.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Ty I took them down and jarred them at day 16 and only a few stems were snappy. The other barely snapped or just bent hard. They are smelling great.
Glad to hear that!!!! I personally will wait 30 days before trying buds... a good cure will be between 3 and 6 months... im 30 days myself then I just can't wait any longer🤣🤣🤣

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
So, this is an interesting topic. Ive had this debate a couple times. The way I understand it, and I’m going to keep it pretty ley here, is that coumarins are an actual aromatic. Chlorophyll is a driver for fresh vigorous green growth And transpiration.

So I get what you are saying about the possibility of it. But it’s true, as zill was saying on the molecular end of things, it just isn’t so, that fresh cut grass scent only comes through for a short time as long as your drying conditions are goldilox, this will pass. One of these things just isn’t like the other.

Also if chlorophyll was giving off a scent, it would mostly be an amalgam of cal and mag iron ect. but again. That ain’t the case. It’s a cool topic really.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
i’ve got some buds from 3 yrs ago and still smell fantastic..
I’d love to sample that. If it’s kept right, the shelf life can really go a long time. How was it nick? Super crusty and dusty? Or was it still kosher?

bestbudgrowtraining

bestbudgrowtraining

So, this is an interesting topic. Ive had this debate a couple times. The way I understand it, and I’m going to keep it pretty ley here, is that coumarins are an actual aromatic. Chlorophyll is a driver for fresh vigorous green growth And transpiration.

So I get what you are saying about the possibility of it. But it’s true, as zill was saying on the molecular end of things, it just isn’t so, that fresh cut grass scent only comes through for a short time as long as your drying conditions are goldilox, this will pass. One of these things just isn’t like the other.

Also if chlorophyll was giving off a scent, it would mostly be an amalgam of cal and mag iron ect. but again. That ain’t the case. It’s a cool topic really.
Yeah, I think a lot of light needs to be said on it. It’s a very cool topic.

Pilted

Pilted

In my opinion, you get the hay smell while curing if you harvest too early. I've had some that had that smell for a while and needed longer cure times to get rid of it. Then I have had some that never smelled like hay and only smelled like fire all the way through drying. It seemed to me the earlier you harvest the more hay smell you have to cure off. That's just my personal observation from the plants I have grown. It could be a totally wrong answer for all I know, but it's what I have personally seen.

U

Usstoner420

Right on I’m a little late. But I was gonna say it’s only been 2 days give it a little time lol. Mine always seem to be dry from 7 to 10 days. Then I put in a baggie for a few days. The stem usually has some moisture and the buds will get some moisture back in them. Then I’ll put them in jars and burp them for a few days. Till I think there good.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter

that actually looks really good, you kept it in the right container. Def no light penetration and good temps will keep them going a great while. And really the older a plant is the browner it gets over time. It’s just plant degradation on a natural spectrum. That’s why I really do prefer blacked out containers.
I’d love to rip on that!

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
In my opinion, you get the hay smell while curing if you harvest too early. I've had some that had that smell for a while and needed longer cure times to get rid of it. Then I have had some that never smelled like hay and only smelled like fire all the way through drying. It seemed to me the earlier you harvest the more hay smell you have to cure off. That's just my personal observation from the plants I have grown. It could be a totally wrong answer for all I know, but it's what I have personally seen.
Indeed you will, but early harvest means a less formed terp profile. So you know, logically it’s just never going to have the same nose as a finished plant. Even with an appropriate cure. Sure you will coax some of the flavor out, but not fully formed more hints of flavor with a dash of grass.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
And also, smaller plant, faster dryout, less cure time. Much easier to pull the moisture out of a bud that’s 2inches around than one that is five inches around. Early harvesting can be tricky.

Pilted

Pilted

Indeed you will, but early harvest means a less formed terp profile. So you know, logically it’s just never going to have the same nose as a finished plant. Even with an appropriate cure. Sure you will coax some of the flavor out, but not fully formed more hints of flavor with a dash of grass.
I haven't pulled it that early yet. Lmao😎 but I believe you %100. Maybe this harvest who knows.

B

bloodeye

Ok, I know this is old but it's been very helpful so here's my 2 cents.

On my first grow. Harvested my little cutie, the creme brulee and have been drying so far for 5 days. Between 60-70% and around 15/16c in the dark in a cupboard with a fan going

I wanted a smoke and thought maybe the end of buying thought to speed up a bit. I cut off what weighed 8 gram, put it in a little cupboard at 30c, 30% with sun lamp hitting it.

Here's what I've discovered. The stuff dried in less than 24 hours and super crispy. It now weighs 3.5grams and stinks of cut grass. Been leaving it out on the side to see if it eases the smell and taste more. About to smoke a second of this stuff some 14 hours later. Still stinks of grass so I guess the lesson is, because the stuff in the cupboard doesn't smell of grass at all, this smell and taste comes from drying too quickly and is minging and only any good for desperate measures

Z

Zill

BE,

Repeat that experiment. Not saying you’re wrong. But maybe the drying process is important in releasing the cut grass aroma.

B

bloodeye

BE,

Repeat that experiment. Not saying you’re wrong. But maybe the drying process is important in releasing the cut grass aroma.
I guess so, but I've found that by speed drying that seems to have locked in the smell. Hopefully it'll fade but I'll be through this 8th in 2 days so not giving it much time 🤣
The stuff slow drying just smells of weed at the moment but I'm not going to rush the rest at all so will be interesting if that generates any cut grass smell at all. I can tell it's still some way from being suitable dry for curing

Latest posts

Top Bottom