Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Im sorry i type such large messages, am a touch typer and i ramble on, often.

IIRC tent caterpillars only eat the foliage of the plant they were born on, wandering ones do no harm to anything. Put them on a plant they weren't born on and they don't even know what to do lol.

Most the wandering one's you see are already doomed unless they can find their way back o the same species of plant they hatched in. It's kinda bizarre though. They can be hatched on just about any tree or shrub, and thats the one they stay eating. If hatched from a tent on something man made (rare, but does happen) all those caterpillars starve to death usually, unless they fall out of the tent onto foliage, then thats what they'll stay eating.

They only problems they really create here are the mess when you step on them after they hatch in thick. Most of the time they end up in very large trees that can more then handle a tent or two, but they do end up in my moms dogwoods and goldenrods sometimes. When that happens we do indeed spray the tree.

They make insanely good fishing bait too. A lot better then nightcrawlers. The birds i see eating them most here though, are usually mockingbirds and Robbins, both species im quite fond of. I've seen the killdeer get em good when theyve fallen to the ground.

Wouldnt surprise me if tent worms take out entire old growth trees in a month up there. Its so warm so quickly in spring down here, and foliage so dense from canopy to floor, theyre only around for a week or two before they disappear to become moths, and a week later you cant even see any evidence they were ever there besides the old washed out tent.

I like tent caterpillars a lot more then i do blue jays. Personally lol. They can tear up a tree/bush pretty bad if its small enough and a tent gets pitched in em though. But they dont swoop at me or sh*t on me while yelling at me either...

What i've actually done most with tent caterpillars if i find a tent i can get to early/easily enough, is toss em in a jar full of host foliage right as they bust out of the nest. And let my nieces/nephews raise them into little moths. Great tools for peaking an interest in nature/biology/ecology for kids. Them and tadpoles both.
Never knew that about caterpillars not eating anything but their own plant. interesting. I still love to watch the tadpole transition, especially when you see that fat little thing swimming around with tiny legs dangling!

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Never knew that about caterpillars not eating anything but their own plant. interesting. I still love to watch the tadpole transition, especially when you see that fat little thing swimming around with tiny legs dangling!
that doesnt apply to all caterpillars as far as i know, but definitely does to these guys, and their many subspecies, i imagine its a similar process to young birds imprinting on the source of their food, and once done so, will only accept food from that source/sources until old enough to feed their selves naturally.

Images 2
cpurola

cpurola

Just what you needed another bump in the road eh that’s a first!
Yep, I'm beginning to think I'm going to have all the BAD luck this year!

But! I was able to identify my 12 females going into the beds in back.
One each from Lucky13:
Angel '98
Blood, Milk and Sky
Dirty Dancing
Frostberry
LAX
Mint Trip
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
&
Afghan Outdoor (f) from High Supplies

With the luck I'm having , I'm keeping the others for awhile, 'just in case'.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter

One each from Lucky13:
Angel '98
Blood, Milk and Sky
Dirty Dancing
Frostberry
LAX
Mint Trip
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
&

View attachment 2167219
Hey if it weren’t for bad luck you wouldn’t have any luck at all 🤦🏼‍♂️ sorry I had too😂

Good idea keeping those other plants around. Yuh never know🤷‍♂️

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

One each from Lucky13:
Angel '98
Blood, Milk and Sky
Dirty Dancing
Frostberry
LAX
Mint Trip
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
&

View attachment 2167219

You're doing a lot better then you are giving yourself credit for lol.

I myself and deciding what my backup late pops will be should i lose some plants tonight.

Got crazy storms with a ton if hail coming in that are supposed to get even worse before they get here. 80mph gusts and golf ball sized hail and apparently a couple tornados an hour west of me this very moment.

I only have 2 buckets i can cover plants with, i have 10 plants out there in ground... If a worst case scenario comes to pass ill be choosing which 2 of the 10 dont get pulverized by hail here in a couple hours.

I may cover the rest with unfolded picnic chairs weighted down by cinder blocks lol.

What @BearWater said about without bad luck, there is no good luck lol.

Galgrows

Galgrows

One each from Lucky13:
Angel '98
Blood, Milk and Sky
Dirty Dancing
Frostberry
LAX
Mint Trip
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
&

View attachment 2167219

One each from Lucky13:
Angel '98
Blood, Milk and Sky
Dirty Dancing
Frostberry
LAX
Mint Trip
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
&

View attachment 2167219
Sister you are gonna be fine. I don't grow as many outdoors anymore i'm feelin my 66yrs doing it all on my own. I got only 6 photos for outdoor it's all i can handle but they'll be in 10-15 gal. pots been doing that for years. I had a reveg few years back nearly broke my heart the work i had to do cleaning them up took weeks. Yes i did harvest but learned to always alway watch the sunrise/sunset clock and have 14hrs min. of daylight. I'm in the PNW Oregon and my gals are sitting in the sun for the first time today in there small pots getting acclimated and will be brought inside after sundown. Your place looks beautiful 🐝

cpurola

cpurola

You're doing a lot better then you are giving yourself credit for lol.

I myself and deciding what my backup late pops will be should i lose some plants tonight.

Got crazy storms with a ton if hail coming in that are supposed to get even worse before they get here. 80mph gusts and golf ball sized hail and apparently a couple tornados an hour west of me this very moment.

I only have 2 buckets i can cover plants with, i have 10 plants out there in ground... If a worst case scenario comes to pass ill be choosing which 2 of the 10 dont get pulverized by hail here in a couple hours.

I may cover the rest with unfolded picnic chairs weighted down by cinder blocks lol.

What @BearWater said about without bad luck, there is no good luck lol.
Whatever for the plants, YOU and yours stay safe!

cpurola

cpurola

Sister you are gonna be fine. I don't grow as many outdoors anymore i'm feelin my 66yrs doing it all on my own. I got only 6 photos for outdoor it's all i can handle but they'll be in 10-15 gal. pots been doing that for years. I had a reveg few years back nearly broke my heart the work i had to do cleaning them up took weeks. Yes i did harvest but learned to always alway watch the sunrise/sunset clock and have 14hrs min. of daylight. I'm in the PNW Oregon and my gals are sitting in the sun for the first time today in there small pots getting acclimated and will be brought inside after sundown. Your place looks beautiful 🐝
Thanks so much. When I'm battling I can't see the forest for the trees, so it's nice to get my head out of my ass once in a while and look at the big picture. 🙂
IF all these plants do well, I'm really in trouble come harvest. LOL

66? You're almost as old as me. 68! 😉

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Whatever for the plants, YOU and yours stay safe!
im not too worried about much with the shelter of the ridge line im on. Far as tornados and damagin winds go. Weve had a couple tonados quite literaly skip right over our heads.

Im most worried about the hail. And i dont have a car, so my concern is windows... And my plants first. The plants represent a potential cost saving beyond what replacing my windows would actually cost too. And my food in the fridge if power goes out is a concern but a drop in the bucket compared to not buying cannabis in ashop or on the street for a year or more.. As far as my selfish concerns go anyway. My mom has similar ridge line protection, and an even more solid house with an in ground finished basement. And my sisters got a trailer park a few blocks from her to run tornado interference as well as a finished basement (sorry if this joke lands in bad taste 😅 )

Im the kinda guy that stands on my back porch wagging my fist and shaking my finger at the damn storm for making a mess in my back yard i have to clean up now. Down in town gets a lot of storm damage and flooding though, May give me a valid excuse to call out of work and get by the post office with capt's care package too tomorrow lol. And if that happens ill have all the excuses to be in town helping clean stuff up too.

And yea, def take a load off where the plants are concerned, you are pretty well set, and you got a bunch of happy plants to watch grow

cpurola

cpurola

D-day (dirt day)!
Planted all 12 in the back acre. So tired.
Set the pots in water with a little tps silica until they were saturated.
Mixed bone meal and worm castings in hole.
Plants went in with a small moat then watered with 1 gallon water mixed with 2 teaspoons recharge and 1/4 teaspoon Great White.
I know it's overkill on the microbes, but I have no idea what the soil my husband bought has in it.
My plant list changed a little.
I think the Snow Angel is a girl, so she went in and Afghan Outdoor is going somewhere else.
So, all 12 spots are taken by the regular seeds I got from Lucky13.

20240510 120135

20240510 103525

20240510 122135

20240510 123148

20240510 131437

cpurola

cpurola

I wouldn’t worry about it! What are you doing with the reinforcements to replace whatever males you might get in those beds? Or were you able to sex them
Well, I THINK I picked the right ones, but I'm keeping them all just in case. I'll give the remainders a week or so before I start seriously thinning.
I kept the Frostberry early bloomers and the boys. They've been outside but haven't done much. I think like yours, they've stalled out. Haven't seen any re-vegging.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom