Seed Storage

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I was able to get a couple packs of seeds ( sour bubble, and boggle gum )from BOG at Cannabis Cup this weekend. I am super stoked about it but can't pop them for a while. What is the best way to store them? Thanks

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Vacseal and refridgerate!
...i agree although i don't vacseal myself, i just put my beans into those weekly pill organizers you see for any who need them, anyway, i then put that seed filled pill organizer into another, slightly larger plastic food storage bin after which i bury that pill organizer in raw rice, kind of like a low tech desicant, anyway, then i just put the lid on the container and put that container into one of the chiller drawers at the bottom of my fridge. ...this keeps my beans fresh and, if anyone looks, all they see is a bin filled with leftover rice.

...i recently popped all 6 of a particular strain i traded for a bit more than 2 years ago and got 100% germination although 2 died shortly thereafter.

...last year i had similar results with some freebies i'd received some 5+ years ago. ...i've read about those who have successfully germinated seeds more than a decade old!

peace, bozo

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

You can get away without the vacseal but if your storing for long term 5+yrs id vac seal to be safe. I actually just popped some 9-10 yr old beans and the issue isnt getting them cracked its getting them to survive with its 10yr slumber expiring energy.

BushyOldGrower

BushyOldGrower

Well finished seeds just in the fridge will keep ten years. I have tried two ten year old sets recently and they all germinated and grew normally. But sometimes seeds that would germinate and grow don't keep well. Probably because they weren't fully mature to begin with.

Just put them in a dry container in the fridge and don't freeze them. You can if you wish to store forever but frozen seeds lost half thhe germ rate and must be used right away when thawed so don't do that.

Thanks for stopping by my booth. We will be in .Denver for the HT 420 Cup! Bog. ;)

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Well finished seeds just in the fridge will keep ten years. I have tried two ten year old sets recently and they all germinated and grew normally. But sometimes seeds that would germinate and grow don't keep well. Probably because they weren't fully mature to begin with.

Just put them in a dry container in the fridge and don't freeze them. You can if you wish to store forever but frozen seeds lost half thhe germ rate and must be used right away when thawed so don't do that.

Thanks for stopping by my booth. We will be in .Denver for the HT 420 Cup! Bog. ;)
Ouch 50% percent germ rate in frozen seeds eeeeeee I made a big mistake....how common is this 50% germ rate with frozen seeds um im in denial I recently froze everything I have and to lose 50% due to freezing em I'm devestated.!!

Not saying your wrong I'm praying your wrong while pullin g my hair out

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Ouch 50% percent germ rate in frozen seeds eeeeeee I made a big mistake....how common is this 50% germ rate with frozen seeds um im in denial I recently froze everything I have and to lose 50% due to freezing em I'm devestated.!!

Not saying your wrong I'm praying your wrong while pullin g my hair out
...the problem is that inside each seed is an embryo and while it's minimal, there is SOME moisture inside, unfortunately, moisture expands when it freezes which breaks cell walls so i'd say 50% germ rate would be optimistic and lucky.

i've never tried it myself though so maybe i'm misremebering my high school science.

...and if you look at this as a learning experience maybe you can let go of the depression, it's nothing but a thing bro, we live and we learn.

...it'd only be depressing if you did it AGAIN.

peace, bozo

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

...the problem is that inside each seed is an embryo and while it's minimal, there is SOME moisture inside, unfortunately, moisture expands when it freezes which breaks cell walls so i'd say 50% germ rate would be optimistic and lucky.

i've never tried it myself though so maybe i'm misremebering my high school science.

...and if you look at this as a learning experience maybe you can let go of the depression, it's nothing but a thing bro, we live and we learn.

...it'd only be depressing if you did it AGAIN.

peace, bozo
You think I should take em out and put in fridge

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I like this thread. I need to do more of what you guys are doing.
I'm going to add I guess to it. I don't do near what you guys are doing and it all seems viable. I have little baggies each separated in a sealed jar with two or three pieces of rice in each one. They stay in a dark cabinet at room temp. I feel like I should be doing more.

NagaKing

NagaKing

Me, I've always just kept in a cool dark place.
Haven't kept them past 2 or 3 years...
But never had issues.

Myco

Myco

I have a designated mini-fridge/freezer where I keep all of my seeds and pollen. I don't do anything special with the seeds aside from not freezing them... Of course you want to make sure they are dry, is obviously the main thing.

You think I should take em out and put in fridge
From everything I've always understood, is that if you do freeze seeds, to not thaw them until they are ready for use. So it would seem to me that any damage that will have been done, is already done by initially freezing them, and thawing them in the refrigerator could further reduce your future germ rates.

That's my thoughts on it, if someone with more experience freezing seeds wants to chime in, feel free.

I hope this isn't a significant seed collection... :/

Live and learn. Good vibes to you and your beans...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I have a designated mini-fridge/freezer where I keep all of my seeds and pollen. I don't do anything special with the seeds aside from not freezing them... Of course you want to make sure they are dry, is obviously the main thing.

From everything I've always understood, is that if you do freeze seeds, to not thaw them until they are ready for use. So it would seem to me that any damage that will have been done, is already done by initially freezing them, and thawing them in the refrigerator could further reduce your future germ rates.

That's my thoughts on it, if someone with more experience freezing seeds wants to chime in, feel free.

Very significant......I'm beating myself up. I think what gets me is most if my seeds were or are gifts and I doing this shows no appreciation I shouldve done my home work ......gues I'll do a germ rate thread on frozen seeds

Myco

Myco

I'm sorry to hear that man. But it's not like you were purposely negligent in storing your seeds, you thought you were doing the right thing to preserve them. I'll bet you're not the first to do it :) I feel like I've seen information that could be misinterpreted, making one think that the freezer is good for short term storage.

But like I said in my post you quoted, there's no benefit in throwing them in the fridge now... at this point, not all is lost, but if you put them into the fridge, all might be lost.

Intense

Intense

I just keep them in the packets they come in, in a plastic container that's kept in a drawer. Probably not as effective as some of you guys methods but I don't hoard them for years or anything. :)

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...i agree although i don't vacseal myself, i just put my beans into those weekly pill organizers you see for any who need them, anyway, i then put that seed filled pill organizer into another, slightly larger plastic food storage bin after which i bury that pill organizer in raw rice, kind of like a low tech desicant, anyway, then i just put the lid on the container and put that container into one of the chiller drawers at the bottom of my fridge. ...this keeps my beans fresh and, if anyone looks, all they see is a bin filled with leftover rice.

...i recently popped all 6 of a particular strain i traded for a bit more than 2 years ago and got 100% germination although 2 died shortly thereafter.

...last year i had similar results with some freebies i'd received some 5+ years ago. ...i've read about those who have successfully germinated seeds more than a decade old!

peace, bozo
...yeah, i took a couple pics to illustrate.

...the bin as it looks in the crisper drawer of my fridge. ...obviously though it would be IN the fridge and not on an ottoman, lol.

DSCN0375

...and here it is with the contents removed.

DSCN0382

...a pretty good shot of that pill organizer i use to contain my beans.

DSCN0384

...and some packets that show i need another pill organizer.

DSCN0385

...i've been storing my beans this way for almost 8 years now and my germination rates are as good after a few years as they are when i first get them, ...i have a few i've had for more than 5 years because i keep finding stuff to pop that seem more interesting but last year i popped some freebies i'd had for almost 6 years and had 100% germinate, i didn't find any keepers but they all popped and lived through harvest.

peace, bozo

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I'm sorry to hear that man. But it's not like you were purposely negligent in storing your seeds, you thought you were doing the right thing to preserve them. I'll bet you're not the first to do it :) I feel like I've seen information that could be misinterpreted, making one think that the freezer is good for short term storage.

But like I said in my post you quoted, there's no benefit in throwing them in the fridge now... at this point, not all is lost, but if you put them into the fridge, all might be lost.
Well it's bean popping time ......
All my beans were stored together back and forth from fridge to freezer a few times.....
This shall be an experiment on germ rates of not so well stored beans anf the beans I popped are all old from a friend who only god knows how he stored them so these shall be a great test .....
Plus im taking a simple approach just pop the seed into wet medium with no temp control no heat mat or thermostat just freestyling it

Top Bottom