What method should I use to water?

• Thread starter Don154
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Don154

Don154

Hey guys I’m gonna be staring my first grow 4x8 8 5 gallon pots, being that I’m new my main concern has been watering as I’ve read it’s easy to over/under water easily, so I was looking in to the ac infinity self watering pots, auto pots or drip irrigation, what do you guys think is the easiest most sufficient way to go?

BB22

BB22

I grow in soil with fabric pots and LED lights.

I mix water in a 1 gallon container. Water by hand.

Something that helped me water correctly was to start off with a smaller container. Let it get fully saturated and then dry out before watering again.

Solo cup for seeds and snips, 1 gallon, 3gsllon, 5 gallon then I flip ✌️

Good Luck !

Rama777

Rama777

I recommend mastering hand watering before trying other methods, but certainly you can try whatever jives with you.

I second BB that it is far easier to water correctly if you gradually work your way up in pot size.

Good luck man!!

Don154

Don154

Something that helped me water correctly was to start off with a smaller container. Let it get fully saturated and then dry out before watering again.

Good Luck !
I recommend mastering hand watering before trying other methods, but certainly you can try whatever jives with you.

I second BB that it is far easier to water correctly if you gradually work your way up in pot size.

Good luck man!!
Thanks

Good Luck !
makes sense basically master the smaller containers and by the time I’ve reached 5 gallon pot I’ll have a feel for watering properly thanks man

Don154

Don154

Good luck man!!
Thanks man makes sense

Mothman

Mothman

Good Luck !
I grow like @BB22 except I haven’t yet graduated to 5 gallon bags.

I water/feed one pint at a time using this overpriced 🏴‍☠️ 1-qt watering can
IMG 4816

and moving among my 4 fabric pots in rotation until they’ve gotten their fill, currently about 3/4 gallon each with about 10% runoff (not an “organic grow”).

I agree with @Rama777, learning how to water by hand is kinda fundamental. It gives me more of connection with the plants, and gives me some up close inspection time.

C

climbit

The more you imagine something to be difficult, the harder it seems. Watering in my opinion comes down to overall experience and intuition… sorta

Try imagining the root ball. What’s above so below? Become the plant!

Ensure you have proper drainage. Use a fabric pot, perlite, whatever. There’s more than one amendment to improve aeration. Water when dry just not bone dry.

Don154

Don154

I grow like @BB22 except I haven’t yet graduated to 5 gallon bags.

I water/feed one pint at a time using this overpriced 🏴‍☠️ 1-qt watering can View attachment 2149328
and moving among my 4 fabric pots in rotation until they’ve gotten their fill, currently about 3/4 gallon each with about 10% runoff (not an “organic grow”).

I agree with @Rama777, learning how to water by hand is kinda fundamental. It gives me more of connection with the plants, and gives me some up close inspection time.
Thanks really helps with my confidence far as hand watering, I was sorta locked in on setting up an automated program but that may not be needed right away seems like I have to get my hands dirty lol

Don154

Don154

The more you imagine something to be difficult, the harder it seems. Watering in my opinion comes down to overall experience and intuition… sorta

Try imagining the root ball. What’s above so below? Become the plant!

Ensure you have proper drainage. Use a fabric pot, perlite, whatever. There’s more than one amendment to improve aeration. Water when dry just not bone dry.
I thinking about going coco/perlite and oh yes the luscious roots I can see em now lol can’t wait to get started thanks for the jewels

B

Bdubs

Let me recommend a genius way to water properly. Slowly and thoroughly. A weed pump sprayer from the department store. Allows for slower watering, evenness. When watered slowly giving time to soak down before making another pass again, letting a small puddle then stopping and repeating until Any runoff is best watering practices.
Dumping water centrally from a spout or watering can, you’ll follow a 10-15% runoff rule for proper watering. But the 10-15% runoff rule of watering is because most water too fast. The soak and wait soak and wait, runoff stop is best way to know you’ve thoroughly covered and moistened all soil. You’ll allow more time between watering and never worry about dry spots watering slowly with a sprayer.

When young and in smaller pots, same deal, use a spray bottle in the same manner as the pump sprayer. 💪

It’s the knowing of when to water and how moist she currently is that really gets people overwatering though. Just go by feel/weight for determining that. Every day lift that pot up and get a true feeling of her weight and then cross reference your brain as to how heavy the plant is vs just the pot. Train your brian to the pot size and plant size to do lift/weight determination. Or finger, 2 knuckle deep checks can also help in that respect. If the finger tip is moist, don’t water them as the middle section is still moist therefore the bottom third is still Wet. The plants will not always eat the same all grow so time based scheduled feeds is asking for trouble.

N

Natep

Use earth boxes or city picker pots. Let the reservoir get completely dry before refilling.

Don154

Don154

Let me recommend a genius way to water properly. Slowly and thoroughly. A weed pump sprayer from the department store. Allows for slower watering, evenness. When watered slowly giving time to soak down before making another pass again, letting a small puddle then stopping and repeating until Any runoff is best watering practices.
Dumping water centrally from a spout or watering can, you’ll follow a 10-15% runoff rule for proper watering. But the 10-15% runoff rule of watering is because most water too fast. The soak and wait soak and wait, runoff stop is best way to know you’ve thoroughly covered and moistened all soil. You’ll allow more time between watering and never worry about dry spots watering slowly with a sprayer.

When young and in smaller pots, same deal, use a spray bottle in the same manner as the pump sprayer. 💪

It’s the knowing of when to water and how moist she currently is that really gets people overwatering though. Just go by feel/weight for determining that. Every day lift that pot up and get a true feeling of her weight and then cross reference your brain as to how heavy the plant is vs just the pot. Train your brian to the pot size and plant size to do lift/weight determination. Or finger, 2 knuckle deep checks can also help in that respect. If the finger tip is moist, don’t water them as the middle section is still moist therefore the bottom third is still Wet. The plants will not always eat the same all grow so time based scheduled feeds is asking for trouble.
Thanks growmie def makes sense was looking at some of the the backpack sprayers should get the job done and looks cool af 😎

Top Bottom