Growing outdoors in Albuquerque

• Thread starter Seva108
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Seva108

I'll be doing a small outdoor grow this year. I just sprouted eight seeds of which I plan to keep five, which I will grow outdoors in a 7 gallon fabric pots. The seeds are just bag seed as I'm curious if I can get better results than what I smoked. They are Amnnesia, Strawnana and Cherry Wine. Four sprouts popped today and I'm hopeful they ohers will do so tomorrow. I plan on transplanting to one gallon pots in about 10 days or so and I'll take pics then.

S

Seva108

Thank you Galgrows.

So today's update, no additional sprouts of an expected four more from germinated seeds planted on Monday 6/3. The four that did sprout yesterday were given ample direct sunlight even on their first day. They seemed to tolerate it ok, but that's pretty hard to quantify. The wind here, which can be extraordinary, is going to kick up overnight and so I've tucked the seedlings behind some barriers for protection.

One thing I did learn today was that a strain that I believed was Strawnana, is actually something called Strawrillaz. I was only able to find one real entry of that strain online and it happened to be from a grower in New Mexico. I tried reaching out on IG to get some more info, but I have not heard back yet.

Two other things I'm doing in preparation for future transplanting is I've started some mycorrhizae cultures by sprinkling some spores (Mykos) onto some moistened soil in 2 oz. deli cups. I'll be putting those beneath the roots in the transplant to one gallon pots (I'm estimating 10 days or so. I also received some composting worms today. I was considering putting some in the seven gallon fabric pots that my plants will ultimately be in, but I'm not sure it's worth it and it would be harsh on the worms for sure.

S

Seva108

I discovered that the four seeds that were germinated but that did not sprout, died. I only found two, but I figure the other two would at least have a noticeable tap root. It seems they died in their shells. I will be sprouting two more seeds, an Amnesia and another Strawrillaz.

The four sprouts that sprouted on Tuesday are doing well, they do however have long stems. I realized when I went looking for the others that didn't make it that I used a soil that was much too dense, sifted potting soil and sand. I would have done well to mix in a fair amount of perlite, but I have learned.

PXL 20240608 022426916
S

Seva108

9 June, seedlings, less than one week old, transferred to one gallon pots with quality soil (potting soil/peat moss/perlite/vermiculite/compost/fertilizer and for some, Mykos mycorrhizae fungi starter. Only some because I forgot, so perhaps we'll see at next transplanting, scheduled for 30 June to see if the fungi had any effect. Fertilizer was Down to Earth Vegan Mix).

Then we had a hail storm, just hours later. The plants got knocked down but again I propped them up with some rocks and they were back to normal today.

I also repotted my tomatoes, eggplant and peppers as I believed their soil had become anaerobic.

Just waiting on a few more seeds to sprout and then transplant. Everything is going in their own 7 gallon fabric pots on 30 June.

cbrians

cbrians

Good stuff. I’m planning to up pot from 7 gallons to 30 gallons on father’s day. Planted a ton of corn, some cukes, romanesco, and some peppers this week. I don’t have any real evidence but I feel like the more plant varieties together the better.

S

Seva108

All seven sprouts up. Again, these are bag seeds that I am most curious about the buds given that two strains came from bags of shake (Cherry Wine and Strawrillaz) and the third was from a bud that smelled like hay but the price was good.

Anyway, the next major step is to transplant to seven gallon fabric pots on 30 June.

Mistakes made so far: germinating seeds in substrate that was potentially problematic (sifted potting soil/sand mix and also fertilized soil). Just some weird things I did that when I look back, I ask myself, why didn't I keep it simple with just some potting soil and perlite.

Triumph: placing 4" terra cotta pots over the seedlings when the winds kicked up.

It was high 90s today and will be high 90s again tomorrow. Seedlings are getting some morning sun, dappled mid-day sun and full sun for about four hours in the afternoon.

PXL 20240612 233319948
Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

if you grow bagseeds from good bud that only have a seed or two here and there, good chance there was some stress hermie pollen making the seed (feminized seeds ) sometimes you get seed identical to the host bud (S1 feminized)

If the bud is totally loaded down in seed, chances are youll either have regular seed (with males) or genetic hermaphrodite seed, which are plants that will produce smokable flower. But also produce full formed male flowers regardless of stress factor as well.

The majority of bagseed you find in good quality flower, will actually produce female plants worth growing lol. At least now a days.

Weclome here and happy growin! May wanna post up in the grow diary section if you're gonna stick around a bit.

S

Seva108

if you grow bagseeds from good bud that only have a seed or two here and there, good chance there was some stress hermie pollen making the seed (feminized seeds ) sometimes you get seed identical to the host bud (S1 feminized)

If the bud is totally loaded down in seed, chances are youll either have regular seed (with males) or genetic hermaphrodite seed, which are plants that will produce smokable flower. But also produce full formed male flowers regardless of stress factor as well.

The majority of bagseed you find in good quality flower, will actually produce female plants worth growing lol. At least now a days.

Weclome here and happy growin! May wanna post up in the grow diary section if you're gonna stick around a bit.
Thanks man. Yeah, I saw the grow diary section after I started this and I wasn't sure if I could transfer the thread or if I'd need to start over. Most important was to get the words 'outdoor' and 'Albuquerque' so that others could find it on a Google search. I had a very tough time finding anything on growing outdoors here.

Yes, I'm hopeful you are right about the likely genders of the plants, just a few seeds in oz. and half oz. bags.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thanks man. Yeah, I saw the grow diary section after I started this and I wasn't sure if I could transfer the thread or if I'd need to start over. Most important was to get the words 'outdoor' and 'Albuquerque' so that others could find it on a Google search. I had a very tough time finding anything on growing outdoors here.

Yes, I'm hopeful you are right about the likely genders of the plants, just a few seeds in oz. and half oz. bags.
strong likely hood of female plants. Very strong. Nearly guaranteed lol.

Yea, new mexico, its gonna be rough starting this late outdoors. You may want to invest in partially light transparent shade cloth if you're anything like phoenix weather wise. The Sativa leaners are gonna be your friends for sure. I know it's hot and dry there. Most probably grow indoors. I do know a couple who pull it off in their yards in phoenix, but they both use partially transparent shade cloth during the hottest 4-6 hours of the day.

S

Seva108

I will consider the shade cloth for sure. I am ok with the late start, I didn't really want to grow anything too giant. Oldchucky on here has given me some good encouragement for growing in hot and dry conditions and I'm feeling pretty hopeful.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Phoenix can be insane. Im doubtful you're quite that bad. Just similar. Cannabis will grow nearly unaided in high desert mexican mountains, itll def grow in Albuquerque lol.

I just imagine the excess heat will be the main thing to watch for. That dry heat is fine with cannabis so long as it has the moisture it needs to transpire.

Last edited:
S

Seva108

Day 10 for the biggest seedlings. Yesterday, temps got to 100 and the stems sagged a bit. This morning they were upright and looking good and endured a fair amount of wind today and remained strong.

In the hopes of better retaining moisture and possibly reducing temps, I have placed these washcloths around them, which I plan to keep soaked, generally.

PXL 20240615 0123269862
Top Bottom