Long time grower - Back at it - Interesting Genetics.

• Thread starter Thatoneguyyouknow_
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Group shot!

20240612 192701

Forget a couple months, they're gonna be holding hands in a couple weeks lmfao.

I may cut 3/4 of that mystery sativa in the middle away here soon

Thinking oj x BB may actually be a late bloomer male. Didn;t respond to the last toppings well at all, bushes out better then most males, but worse then most females, and it has those hard to say preflowers.
20240612 192517

20240612 193403

Im thinking if i cut the sativa waaaaay back, and this oj x BB #1 goes male (ill be cutting it down and bringing clones inside to collect pollen) ill be breathing WAY easier on the space my plants have.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

If that oj x BB goes male...

I will be cutting the plant out of the plot to make room for PB 2.

But ill be cutting him down into multiple clones. And bringing him inside into a 2x2 tent with a hepa exhaust and a couple CFL's. Ill be putting them into 12/12 to collect and preserve pollen. Desiccated and into the deep freeze.

I will be pollenating a lower branch on each PB to bag up.

Ill probably carefully paint up a few lower branches on both of the OJ x BB females. The more seed on those the better, idec if i overseed them, the more seed on those ones the better imho. Id also love to be able to send Original Jack Herer and Original big bud genetics (planted in 1997 left to naturally interbreed since) to literally anyone who wants them.

Rama777

Rama777

When you set your drip system up, get a screen filter if you can to protect your drip hose. You probably know that already ;)

I like Wi-Fi for multiple reasons but mainly because I like to be in 100% control of my irrigation on a day to day basis and not have to rely on timers. Plus my shit’s stupid complex since I specialize in growing top-tier greens and other spring and fall crops in the summer. Punishing but pays very well because nobody else does it around here. Zero competition that I’ve ever detected between June 1st and roughly October 7th.

I knew when I went in to farming that I wanted to do something unique to secure easy sales at all times without ever having to do farmer’s markets.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

When you set your drip system up, get a screen filter if you can to protect your drip hose. You probably know that already ;)
im actually a little curious how things will go. My water is that super hard, boiled-egg well water. Im sure the drippers will clog first, but idk, this water straight up mauls house water filters. That screens days are numbered too i imagine 🤣 🤣 🤣

It only took 3 months for the mesh on the water inlet of my washing machine to clog with galvanic buildup and shit.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

I like Wi-Fi for multiple reasons but mainly because I like to be in 100% control of my irrigation on a day to day basis and not have to rely on timers. Plus my shit’s stupid complex since I specialize in growing top-tier greens and other spring and fall crops in the summer. Punishing but pays very well because nobody else does it around here. Zero competition that I’ve ever detected between June 1st and roughly October 7th.

I knew when I went in to farming that I wanted to do something unique to secure easy sales at all times without ever having to do farmer’s markets.
I hear ya there! I do a roadside stand with a Mini fridge lol. I just removed the unsold vegtable seedlings, they did well, but now time to start rackin up the micros again 😁

IMG 2369
IMG 2370
IMG 1153
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Im a total cheapskate man, im just going to have 14 dripper outlets. Half inch lines with a 1/4" barbed outlet per plant. And i probably wont even use the timer as it usually would be. Ill just run it before i go to work, and when i get back on the hot dry days and use the timer to make it stop so i dont have to remember. Im pretty weather obsessed and i check em every morning and evening even if its raining and storming. Ill adjust watering as i get used to using it here.

If i have anything become substantial over time, im sure ill get a lot more in depth with it. The irrigation designs out there can get absolutely mind blowing lmao. Produce and cannabis both im a home grower. At least these days. Im eyeing a comfy board member salary position a country club.. In some time anyway.

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Im a total cheapskate man, im just going to have 14 dripper outlets. Half inch lines with a 1/4" barbed outlet per plant. And i probably wont even use the timer as it usually would be. Ill just run it before i go to work, and when i get back on the hot dry days and use the timer to make it stop so i dont have to remember. Im pretty weather obsessed and i check em every morning and evening even if its raining and storming. Ill adjust watering as i get used to using it here.

If i have anything become substantial over time, im sure ill get a lot more in depth with it. The irrigation designs out there can get absolutely mind blowing lmao. Produce and cannabis both im a home grower. At least these days. Im eyeing a comfy board member salary position a country club.. In some time anyway.
That’s my next goal Is drip irrigation through the whole garden the kits would be wayyy to pricy where the best place to buy individual components? Emitters tubing barbs etc is Amazon the cheapest?

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

That’s my next goal Is drip irrigation through the whole garden the kits would be wayyy to pricy where the best place to buy individual components? Emitters tubing barbs etc is Amazon the cheapest?
I went to ace hardware for the fittings and timers. Youll be glad you did. Water cutoff valves and filters etc.

Things like tubing and T's just order online, cheap is fine with those.

Use black line or algea will grow inside it lol.

There are cheap kits on ebay that will last you a season. But they arent anythign youll be holding onto. I used one of those to decide how i was gonn layout my moms, then just went to ace to replace the bits i determined were donky-doo. The drippers and stuff in those will last ok for a season if you pipe tape the threads. You can find much better ones at bigger nurseries, hydro stores, and online though.

Rama777

Rama777

If you ever want a drip setup just private message me. I have hundreds of hours between in depth irrigation studies and building systems. It’s not that expensive, it’s just daunting as fuck when you don’t know any of the intricacies. Kits are mostly overpriced, or trash.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I went to ace hardware for the fittings and timers. Youll be glad you did. Water cutoff valves and filters etc.

Things like tubing and T's just order online, cheap is fine with those.

Use black line or algea will grow inside it lol.

There are cheap kits on ebay that will last you a season. But they arent anythign youll be holding onto. I used one of those to decide how i was gonn layout my moms, then just went to ace to replace the bits i determined were donky-doo. The drippers and stuff in those will last ok for a season if you pipe tape the threads. You can find much better ones at bigger nurseries, hydro stores, and online though.
Yeah I was looking at the individual pieces like I’d need about 100-150 emitters to start, was gunna use 1/4” black tubing. I’m real familiar with ace tons near me, will definitely check them out first, the tubing I saw there was super expansive compared to a 100’ roll for $20 on Amazon was gunna pick up 3-4 rolls to start with. I’m so confused looking at the emitters though I want drip not those sprayers, have a link or pic to the correct emitters?

@Thatoneguyyouknow_ sorry for the thread hijack ⬆️

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
If you ever want a drip setup just private message me. I have hundreds of hours between in depth irrigation studies and building systems. It’s not that expensive, it’s just daunting as fuck when you don’t know any of the intricacies. Kits are mostly overpriced, or trash.
Hell yeah I’ll PM you, it’ll be a work in progress for sure but gotta start somewhere! I was worried about pressure loss on the end of the long runs etc I know minimum I gotta start with like 10x 20’ runs with 10-12 emitters per run

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Yeah I was looking at the individual pieces like I’d need about 100-150 emitters to start, was gunna use 1/4” black tubing. I’m real familiar with ace tons near me, will definitely check them out first, the tubing I saw there was super expansive compared to a 100’ roll for $20 on Amazon was gunna pick up 3-4 rolls to start with. I’m so confused looking at the emitters though I want drip not those sprayers, have a link or pic to the correct emitters?

@Thatoneguyyouknow_ sorry for the thread hijack ⬆️
you're 100% fine. i dont mind at all.

Was technically my job for a bit to design and implement/maintain semi-large-scale recirculating reservoir hydroponic systems commercially. But those systems systems are more like the plumbing in and around an in-ground pool then anything else.

As far as the hose driven outdoor irrigation systems go i just cobble stuff together. I can def give a couple tid bits of advice but rama would be the wiser ask there for sure. Ive never done anything large enough with them to really have to worry about design implementation and efficiency of the hardware and whatnot. It's just to water a garden for me lmao.

I definitely dont mind discussion going on in my thread though.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

So i made a decision today, and i pulled a trigger. The mystery sativa is now about 1/2 the size she was. Gives PB 1 and 2, and Biggs a lot more breathing room.

Ill be rooting clones, just in case it's something hazy and not a wild hemp hybrid lol.
20240613 172922
20240613 173122

I went over carefully with a mag glass after the plant went shaded. OJ x BB #1 is indeed female, not a male. I found several sets of very tiny mostly encased pistils. PB#3 is gonna overwhelm her here in a month or two. And i really dont wanna cut anything off either plant 🙄
20240613 172937

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Testing a new phone. Seems a LOT better image quality 🤙

All big girls, aside from the mystery sativa.

PB 1 a bit over 4 foot tall now 😍
IMG 20240615 181052477 HDR

Biggs
IMG 20240615 181103612

PB 2
IMG 20240615 181111720

PB 3
IMG 20240615 181131191 HDR

OJ x BB 1
IMG 20240615 181117492 HDR

OJ x BB 2
IMG 20240615 181123849

OJ x BB 3
IMG 20240615 181140331 HDR

Little ones in flowing order. Tammy 1,2,3. PB 4, mexi skunk
IMG 20240615 180947146

IMG 20240615 180951890

IMG 20240615 180958001

IMG 20240615 181029521 HDR
IMG 20240615 181035186 HDR

The "Mexi skunk" genetics should be mexi fire hair x Afghani land race. Heavy Afghani look to the margins and ridges already. I wouldn't mind an Afghani dominant phenotype tbh. Not one bit.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

New phone video test 🤙

PB 1 measures right at 4'6". Brought the tape out after the video.

Actually Measured the hedge line height instead of eyeballing, they're gonna give me right at about 8 foot of height to play with.

I'm going to let all 3 peaceblasters get as big as they want to get I think.

PB 3 is gonna make some FAT buds. And PB 1 is gonna make a LOT of buds. And PB 2, well, she's just one of the most beautiful plants I've ever grown.

Yea im barefoot in the briars, im a hillbilly. That's not unusual.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Long time grower, getting back at it. Ill try to keep this short, i can be very long winded with text.

Around 20 or so years growing experience indoor and out both. Last several years i've been workking for NOAA/Nat'l weather service and just haven't had time for it. Had connections with many long time growers, and several commercial growers in the Kansas City area for a while.

Now im out in the sticks, and i have my own land to play around on. I had some really cool genetics in the fridge, and on a whim decided i might as well start a grow this season.

It's going to be a combination small indoor soil grow/outdoor/as i finish remodeling the basement ill be putting a 5x5, 4 bucket DWC grow together to transition to with my soil closet hosting soil bound clone mothers.

There will be some explanations on the genetics down below somewhere. My mix is 50/50ish coir/self made compost. No perlite locally so i didnt use any. This mix drains better and clumps less then you'd think looking at it though
3 Gobnugget fem self made

3 Peaceblaster Fem self made

2 Biggs ---- Fem self made

4 crazy old deadhead's sativa beans His buds were just big pointy christmas trees that tasted as good as pine-sol smells, in the best way possible that i know a lot of others miss too. The top most my seeds came from (about 50) weighed clos to 10g and it was absolutely connoisseur grade sativa goodness that's hard to find. Honestly im excited about these the most. Claims to have been running for 30+ years outdoor from a couple of original plants. One was supposedly the original jack herer, another was the original big bud. So his crazy old deadhead story goes anyway.

Got a couple weirdo trifoliates from the deadhead's beans, so i do believe him that his plants have been incbed for 30 years 🤣

View attachment 2154441
View attachment 2154442

Some rambling on the origins of the genetics.

The biggs and peaceblaster seeds are both about 5 years old (Also the most vigorous to start, but seed keep for a VERY long time in the cold) The gobnugget seeds are about 3 years old, untested seeds. fridge stored. The old deadhead's beans i obtained this last winter on a trip back to missouri.

Biggs= Bubba kush x gelato f1 regular cross. Pheno hunted for two very similar females. two small clones were grown in a small tent together, one was forced to hermaphrodite. The seeds im calling biggs are these seeds. Ive grown 3 of them and so far theyve been similar enough to not justify giving them numbers. If stressed can hermie. But just a few little bananas and a seed or two per. No full male flowers.

Gobnugget= thin mint cookies x male seedsman original afgani #1 F1 cross. Male selected....
GG4 clone x selected F1 male (it was selected for tight node spacing and rapid flower development, didnt translate as wished really.) Female selected
Selected female clone X Blue dream male. (I traded some female bubba x gelato pollen for this male pollen to another Missouri area cat) Female selected. Gobnugget is an accidental F1 feminized cross of this selected female and Biggs. Grew them together once and had a family emergency and no one to plant sit. Left town for about 4 days leaving lights off (for safety) in a DWC grow. Came back and finished up. The Biggs spit a few bananas. The selected female clone did not. Her seeds were kept and labeled "Gobnuggets?"

I will likely be numbering the Gobnugget females at some point until i chose one. I'll prob just call it gobnugget then. I have never grown these seeds before.

Peaceblaster
=

x forced hermaphrodite Columbian landrace sativa - F1 fem cross (Yup :blsmoke:....you can go back and look and let that one sink in for second. You can't have any. Sorry) The phenos ive run tended to test in the mid 20s

Ill be numbering these too. Ive done a couple of these, one was a heavily sativa dominant plant with hybrid vigor that would triple in size during flower, outyeild any of my indicas in grm/m3 metrics, be ready to pull in 55 days flat on a solid DWC run. It could do this in half the veg time of my Biggs while ending up twice the size and more then double the yield if you compared directly on a plant to plant basis.

Those old deadhead's beans= Is a non fem sativa cross that's supposed to be the original Jack Herrer x Original Big bud. Dude also, like many crazy old deadheads, has crazy old dead head stories. Said he's been running the same males and females for 30 years now and got both plants from a friend of Jack himself. The buds he shared were seriously massive, and seriously good. Had that sativa straight pine taste you just basically never find anymore. I got 2/4 trifoliates which is interesting, haven't had 50% trifoliates in any beans ive popped before, so i AM at least somewhat inclined to believe that wherever this seed stock originated, it's been inbred for several generations. So maybe it is an older genetic worth preserving or breeding??? I have pretty solid confirmation his claim of essentially inbreeding the same plants for 30 generations would play well with this % of likely inbred origin deformity. I have probably 50 more of these seeds too. More then ill ever need. The guy really just let his pollen chuck itself year after year never removing the males starting from just a couple plants if his story checks out. These seeds are very fresh. Big fat, very circular seeds with dark stripes, fridge stored

Im open to some genetic trading with anything but the Peaceblaster, i only have about 10 of those. Assuming im allowed to say that. I have a small handful of the columbian land race beans left too. But they are nearly 10 years old at this point and haven't spent the entire time in the fridge and i dont want to pop anything i dont want to grow.

Ill dig out and post up some pics of my past grows with these genetics when i feel like actually doing that, this post got way bigger then i wanted it to. I have pics somewhere of a monster DWC grow with the columbian land race that pulled about 2 pounds from a plant that was about 5' tall 6' wide because she wouldn't ever finish flowering lol. It was entirely by accident. Had to bust out an old 1kw HPS to finish her and still couldn't. She went in to flower like a foot tall next to 2 other plants in a 6x7 spac

Lol, totally just realized my OP was on 420 😎

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Am struggling with an unusually alkaline bag of peat i used to mix my seedlings soil. Every bag from this brand (its crappy cheap stuff) has sat about 4.5-5 out the bag, and adjusted this one as if the case, but seems like it was probably sitting closer to 6. My runoff on the two banners is over 7, and both are stunted 🙄

The maui has a soil surface bulge going on as of today. Its been going super slow, but expecting to see a baby in the next couple days :3 She's in the last of my last mixed up batch so not too worried. I may scrap the banners, remix soil, and start them again. They were NOT a fan of this batch of peat... at all. Yay big box stores! It wasnt the old perlite i used, the banners didnt have any of that bag in their mix. Just new peat and screened potting soil. Whats left of my screened soil in bag is electrode testing identical to before, so its not the screened soil. Has to be a crappy peat batch imho. Was toward the bottom of the pallet, probably had other bags draining rain down into it for a super long time.

It has been very difficult to find what i actually want locally here, and when i do,. its always very old product, that's often sat outside for months, if not all winter long in a stack of bags. It's a lot more difficult then i expected it to be lmao. I think im going to try and arrange a small road trip to Asheville with a friend so i can stock up on lots of good quality soil stuff without having to tear myself a new a-hole on shipping charges

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I like this phone. Means more pics.

Group shot!
448742778 996062871689269 5652189290788203377 n

The peaceblasters are pretty rapidly stealing the show at this point. Even on the little ones, PB 4 is pretty handily taking off on em.

PB1. Getting hard to get the whole plant in a single picture. Absolute beast of a phenotype.
448502321 373387055760045 8193700051376636983 n

PB2 looking all sexy
448365934 373619968627070 2150291029483379787 n

PB 3. Also quite the looker
448434618 3622491101332530 6991790820582948072 n

OJ x BB 1. Still small. but still happy too.
448389920 326666197159129 6417542855472634897 n

OJ x BB 2. Biggest of the OJ x BB's
448581029 1005982570964415 6691809778567846874 n

Mystery Sativa coming back nicely.
448703529 485524110525226 6090133783873520111 n 1

I forgot to snap full pics of my Biggs, and OJ x BB 3 apparently lol

PB 4. Def the show stealer of the little ones so far.
448435288 441663338723169 7243963975372166068 n

Mexi-Skunk
448469469 994463838998927 8694120883430766126 n

Tammy 1,2,3. In order of pics.
448383747 354104344362057 3457026242618376111 n

448474163 26122389137352241 2079889143802590241 n

448600227 1203614637719515 6882676873967041571 n

The biggs i gave to my friend survived being poisoned and stunted by a black walnut tree, and is finally taking off as it should 🤙
448509279 1656224775124264 5749191103926456331 n

448259926 1133786261212680 1696355617207285374 n

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

There's a small aphid presence on a couple of the plants. PB 1 and OJ x BB 3. Interesting because they have less cover on them because of how they grow, and i see fewer predator species on them as well. I would normally think that to be a less insect friendly plant during a heat wave.

When i check during twilight im finding lady bugs, small mantises, and a lot of various spider species though on most of the plants. Less on those two, even though there is more food for them there.

Ill check again next coupe evenings in twilight and assuming i continue to see the ladybugs and stuff, im not going to worry about the aphid presence at all just for now.

Im going to treat this as an opportunity to observe which plants my local exoskeletoned predators prefer hanging out in, as well as which plants the aphids prefer.

Ive had this theory for a while that when it comes to good ole every day aphids on outdoor plants, they tend to be more focused on plants your local ant species have determined to be more free of predators for one reason or another and i wanna learn something here lmao. Ants absolutely move aphid eggs around and farm the little bastards for honeydoo here. Thinking some plants because of how they grow more then anything, are more susceptible to pests, because they are less supportive of a predator insect presence. idk, maybe ants depend those plants from predator species too. Its not hard at all to see an ant colony doing that. There are red, black, harmless tiny pissants, and invasive fire ants all on my property and i see them on my plot and on my plants too.

I havent had spider mites in years before i temp retired, knock on wood, but i just cant seem to escape the good ole, squishy derpy aphids outdoors anywhere 🤣 . If i could choose a mite to manage, it would def be aphids though, so maybe im lucky.

Last edited:
Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

We have lift-off on the 86 Maui. Its been like a week since i planted a cracked seed. was expecting to find a dead seed. Did not. Very carefuly recovered the seed and returned the cup to the baggie

Soil looks wetter then it is, i used flash. All the little v shaped white things low in the image are some kind of image artifacting or something. They all point to the center of the image.

IMG 20240619 145829905
Top Bottom