Mikedin’s garden center, Let’s grow!

• Thread starter Mikedin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rama777

Rama777

You talkin’ about the silvery areas on your zucchini leaves?

If so, 100 full percent genetic. Not a problem at all. Lookin’ good!!

Best preventative that I know of (looong lasting effects) for PM (id it’s bad in your area on cucurbits) is an aerated tea made from common horsetail.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Best preventative that I know of (looong lasting effects) for PM (id it’s bad in your area on cucurbits) is an aerated tea made from common horsetail.
Nice! Yeah a closer look and I was like wait that’s not PM was scared to get close to it for a few days cus I had to go in the tent after I was out there so I gave them a wide berth 🤣 the ones with the spots are garden spineless the ones with no discoloration are black beauties

But since we’re here we can bring the drip irrigation discussion here and stop hijavking @Thatoneguyyouknow_ thread 🤣

You can see in the videos of the main garden, that’s where I wanna run the drip at, each run of plants is between 20-22’ long and has between 10-12 plants per run

Rama777

Rama777

You don’t need ANY emitters. Fuck all that noise..

Here’s the chain -

Water source (can be hoses or poly pipe from lowes)
Screen filter
Pressure regulator
Header pipe (main horizontal branch from where all your drip lines come off of)
Punch in valves where tape starts
Drip tape (holes are built in, emitters are entirely unnecessary..
Barbed caps

The sizing of every one of those components needs to be designed properly but once you have all the components, it’s easy peasy to build. I can give you a parts list of you decide to build something.

I run 100 foot long drips on gentle slopes with no emitters and virtually zero problems.

I’m thinking the only other major consideration is how much pressure comes off you main water supply. Based on some of this and that, it will determine how many feet of drips you can run, depending on the flow rate per foot of the pipe (pressure regulator mandatory to keep that value true)

And then therefore how many zones you need on your irrigation controller.

Or you can step it up a little bit more, get a Wi-Fi controlled unit and put your drip zones on solenoid valves and not have to deal with the inevitable (but better than nothing) hassle of cheap timers.

Rama777

Rama777

Or hell, look at that, a totally reasonable, high quality kit right here. I’d maybe ask them to upgrade the punch tool. Only other thing you’d need is either a Wi-Fi controller with solenoid valves or a timer with however many valves you want/need.

I’d also want to specify the drip spacing on the tape in the kit. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind you doing that.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
You don’t need ANY emitters. Fuck all that noise..

Here’s the chain -

Water source (can be hoses or poly pipe from lowes)
Screen filter
Pressure regulator
Header pipe (main horizontal branch from where all your drip lines come off of)
Punch in valves where tape starts
Drip tape (holes are built in, emitters are entirely unnecessary..
Barbed caps

The sizing of every one of those components needs to be designed properly but once you have all the components, it’s easy peasy to build. I can give you a parts list of you decide to build something.

I run 100 foot long drips on gentle slopes with no emitters and virtually zero problems.

I’m thinking the only other major consideration is how much pressure comes off you main water supply. Based on some of this and that, it will determine how many feet of drips you can run, depending on the flow rate per foot of the pipe (pressure regulator mandatory to keep that value true)

And then therefore how many zones you need on your irrigation controller.

Or you can step it up a little bit more, get a Wi-Fi controlled unit and put your drip zones on solenoid valves and not have to deal with the inevitable (but better than nothing) hassle of cheap timers.
Yeah I was thinking about the solenoid valves tape sounds good too! Still debating where I’d want the header, most likely along the fence and let the legs branch out to each run,

It’s hard to tell if I really need it atm, in a month, I’ve watered 2 times and only to feed, since I put down the plastic they retain moisture awesome, the actual section around the main root base dries back slightly but continues to pull moisture from the soil under the sheeting, and I think the plants are liking the added heat retention in the soil. But I know it’ll come to watering at some point when it’s mid summer and 90 out haha.

Or hell, look at that, a totally reasonable, high quality kit right here. I’d maybe ask them to upgrade the punch tool. Only other thing you’d need is either a Wi-Fi controller with solenoid valves or a timer with however many valves you want/need.

I’d also want to specify the drip spacing on the tape in the kit. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind you doing that.

I’ll check out this kit! I’d have to put together a more exact number for lengths of runs, plants per run etc there all within 1-2 of eachother i believe

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Yup, mine have that white look too, not pm. First time I saw it I sprayed them with baking soda tho 😂🤣😂

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Kind of embarrassed to admit, but the first year that I grew them back in 2022 I sprayed them with copper fungicide! 😂🤣😂
Almost… almost lol I just used the copper on all my fruit trees, all my nectarine and peach trees got leaf end curl fuckin sucks but gotta get them straightened out for next year I guess lol

Caught it too late, diddnt notice it till leaves started dropping then saw the dreaded blistering lol looks identical at first, then the trees just go completely bare (like mine are now)
IMG 5297

BUT on a positive note, the tent is drying much better than expected with the 70f 60%RH, 7 days in, can still feel moisture in the buds, so relieved haha, grabbed one and quick trimmed it and damn is that blueberry there! Sticky as all hell, buds stick right to your fingers, just smoked a tester I pulled 4 days before chop, was still slightly damp, (good sign as it’s been hanging in the veg tent this whole time at 75f and still has moisture to it) but can confirm I’m pleased with this run, even with the 2 weeks of high temps at the worst possible time in flower they pulled through, buds look great, for sure improvement on density vs the mother, on average I’d say 3” long buds, (but a whole scrog full of em!) super sticky, straight blueberry aroma, slightly earthy under it, can’t wait to cure it up!

IMG 5293
IMG 5294
IMG 5296
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Thank fam! Long post/ few videos, I live in vineyard / orchard country, wineries every 2 miles, my backyard was an old riverbed, grabbed a video of our back through the trees. Its SUPER sandy loom, like one side of my yard if you dig up then replace the medium and water it turns into quicksand in the hole, but amend that with some compost, topsoil, manure, and tons of saved peat moss from past indoor runs and homemade compost out back, I dig a 5 gallon bucket sized hole for each plant, amend it, put back into the hole, each year will be a repeat empty hole, amend, replant so the soil surrounding the holes should be super inoculated with all the mycos and organics I put into it, these have been amended with Tru organics

my fruit trees (peach / nectarine) got hit hard with peach leaf curl so that killed off most of the leaves so no fruit set, caught it too late, but there still about a year to 2 early for full fruit set anyways so Cooper fungicide here I come 🤣 we’ll round 2 they’ve already been hit a few eeeks ago and have some new growth but they’ll all come around around the year 5-6 mark the cocktail fruit trees up front fruited pretty damn heavy for such small plants so fingers crossed those give us a bit this year no idea what type of fruit set as it hold 6 types but we’ll find out! I know the peach brach got he leaf curl so that branch is wiped out (really cool seeing how it affects the nectarine / peach branches only but leaves the other types alone) I’ll grab some videos tomorrow if I remember

My compaost is about 80% composted dark leaf some last fall’s leaves, I repeat the cycle every year saving then reusing. Upside to the heavily amended holes, I don’t have to rotate crops as the soil is fully re-amended after each cycle and no soil nutrient depletion as I continually top dress and feed Alaska fish fertilizer, once every 2 weeks I hit them with a half dose of jacks 20-20-20 to make sure they have eveything they need, so I’m not fully organic out there but close enough. The bi-monthly feeding of jacks won’t be enough to hurt the soil biology from what I’ve read about it. Supposedly even weekly would be fine as well. This year I choose TRU organics tomato and vegetable feed (granulated, slow release) Then bone meal, coast of Maine earthworm castings, some coast of Maine kelp extract, some got the coast of Maine fish bone meal and some got the Espoma organic bone meal, the homemade compost, a store bought compost /manure mix as well as some plain topsoil per hole, it takes awhile 🤣

When I’m not busy in the tent I always have plenty to work on 🤣 I usually prune a row of tomatoes per day before or after work to keep up with the garden chores

Couple videos

Garden
View attachment 2192006

Behind the fence / river looks like some squirrels have been using my fire pit bench to eat acorns on 🤣
View attachment 2192007

And the zucchini and berry patches, i think I was talking to @TreeBee or @Rama777 (my stoned ass can’t rememeber 🤣) about PM on cucurbits. To be honest this dosent look like PM, after looking closer this appears to be more of a leaf bleaching from the sun, nothing wiping off and it appears to be the foliage itself that lost color not white Pm on top

View attachment 2192009
awesome man them tomatoe plants are going for it👍 if i ever get a decent place to grow outdoor be, something like yours mike well id try😁 bet all the fruit and veg tastes great with the hm compost.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Thank fam! Long post/ few videos, I live in vineyard / orchard country, wineries every 2 miles, my backyard was an old riverbed, grabbed a video of our back through the trees. Its SUPER sandy loom, like one side of my yard if you dig up then replace the medium and water it turns into quicksand in the hole, but amend that with some compost, topsoil, manure, and tons of saved peat moss from past indoor runs and homemade compost out back, I dig a 5 gallon bucket sized hole for each plant, amend it, put back into the hole, each year will be a repeat empty hole, amend, replant so the soil surrounding the holes should be super inoculated with all the mycos and organics I put into it, these have been amended with Tru organics

my fruit trees (peach / nectarine) got hit hard with peach leaf curl so that killed off most of the leaves so no fruit set, caught it too late, but there still about a year to 2 early for full fruit set anyways so Cooper fungicide here I come 🤣 we’ll round 2 they’ve already been hit a few eeeks ago and have some new growth but they’ll all come around around the year 5-6 mark the cocktail fruit trees up front fruited pretty damn heavy for such small plants so fingers crossed those give us a bit this year no idea what type of fruit set as it hold 6 types but we’ll find out! I know the peach brach got he leaf curl so that branch is wiped out (really cool seeing how it affects the nectarine / peach branches only but leaves the other types alone) I’ll grab some videos tomorrow if I remember

My compaost is about 80% composted dark leaf some last fall’s leaves, I repeat the cycle every year saving then reusing. Upside to the heavily amended holes, I don’t have to rotate crops as the soil is fully re-amended after each cycle and no soil nutrient depletion as I continually top dress and feed Alaska fish fertilizer, once every 2 weeks I hit them with a half dose of jacks 20-20-20 to make sure they have eveything they need, so I’m not fully organic out there but close enough. The bi-monthly feeding of jacks won’t be enough to hurt the soil biology from what I’ve read about it. Supposedly even weekly would be fine as well. This year I choose TRU organics tomato and vegetable feed (granulated, slow release) Then bone meal, coast of Maine earthworm castings, some coast of Maine kelp extract, some got the coast of Maine fish bone meal and some got the Espoma organic bone meal, the homemade compost, a store bought compost /manure mix as well as some plain topsoil per hole, it takes awhile 🤣

When I’m not busy in the tent I always have plenty to work on 🤣 I usually prune a row of tomatoes per day before or after work to keep up with the garden chores

Couple videos

Garden
View attachment 2192006

Behind the fence / river looks like some squirrels have been using my fire pit bench to eat acorns on 🤣
View attachment 2192007

And the zucchini and berry patches, i think I was talking to @TreeBee or @Rama777 (my stoned ass can’t rememeber 🤣) about PM on cucurbits. To be honest this dosent look like PM, after looking closer this appears to be more of a leaf bleaching from the sun, nothing wiping off and it appears to be the foliage itself that lost color not white Pm on top

View attachment 2192009
cool as the river is almost your back yard, id do some fishing there😁

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
awesome man them tomatoe plants are going for it👍 if i ever get a decent place to grow outdoor be, something like yours mike well id try😁 bet all the fruit and veg tastes great with the hm compost.
They love it! Growth rates are crazy this year, but I also credit johnnysselectseeds.com

Fucking awesome seeds in my experience about 97% germ rate their hybrids are super productive good prices for true organic seeds, heirlooms, and hybrids! Give ‘em a try next time you buy some seeds been buying from them for years now nothing else I’ve tried compared not even gurneys, burpee, or burgess
cool as the river is almost your back yard, id do some fishing there😁
This is the upper side of a dam about a mile down, it’s about 200’ across at this point and about 50’ deep, there’s shallows up river and a few grass islands the Muskie and pike hide in, there’s a ton of bass as well, below the dam there an Insane salmon and trout spawn, can’t even get a spot to fish during the spawn, no exaggeration shoulder to shoulder fishermen every year, out of spawn I go down and fish bass and trout and salmon,

I can get down to the water but it’s STEEP, need a rope to traverse it, but I can set that up no problem, there’s a small dock the old owner built but the lower section of his little path collapsed so I gotta get down there and fix it back up, I’m top side of the dam

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
the 12 gallon grow bags are exactly what I expected, fuckin huge haha, can’t wait to transplant but I gotta sit for the tent to open up, Don’t wanna be movin these beasts around full and watered lol

Probably transplant, from the 3’s up to these 12’s wait a week then flip

1st pic my 5 gallon buckets I usually use inside the bag, 2nd pic is the current 3 gallon pots that the frostettes are in

IMG 5303
IMG 5304
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

They love it! Growth rates are crazy this year, but I also credit johnnysselectseeds.com

Fucking awesome seeds in my experience about 97% germ rate their hybrids are super productive good prices for true organic seeds, heirlooms, and hybrids! Give ‘em a try next time you buy some seeds been buying from them for years now nothing else I’ve tried compared not even gurneys, burpee, or burgess

This is the upper side of a dam about a mile down, it’s about 200’ across at this point and about 50’ deep, there’s shallows up river and a few grass islands the Muskie and pike hide in, there’s a ton of bass as well, below the dam there an Insane salmon and trout spawn, can’t even get a spot to fish during the spawn, no exaggeration shoulder to shoulder fishermen every year, out of spawn I go down and fish bass and trout and salmon,

I can get down to the water but it’s STEEP, need a rope to traverse it, but I can set that up no problem, there’s a small dock the old owner built but the lower section of his little path collapsed so I gotta get down there and fix it back up, I’m top side of the dam
yeh certainly will bud, will check the site out. i where gonna say id be trying to catch some salmon to, right up.👍 be cool to see it fixed up.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
you’re going to have to wash your clothes twice😂 that’s a good thing : ) Looks really good!
Got about 6 oz done by 3 am took a break, got some sleep, working in the garden will have to get back to it later lol

Made some worm poop soup mixes with Alaska fish fertilizer and lettin it brew for a bit then I’ll dilute it out into the sprayer (spray tip removed) and feed everything, been 2 weeks so I’ll add jacks 20-20-20 again, supposed to get a little heat wave this week, some stations predicted 97, which is is somethig. We almost never see all summer, so I want them nice and watered and fed and let the plastic hold them over moisture wise through the heat, these things are growing beautifully, the cherry tomato hedge row is filling in great with some training, continued removing pepper flowers on the in ground plants one more round while they get a bit bigger

Took a nice walk yesterday got a great view

Couple of the cats, (yes that’s the cats own couch 🤣)

IMG 5358
IMG 5340
IMG 5334
IMG 5362
IMG 7375
BearWater

BearWater

If you were a hotdog would you eat yourself?
Supporter
Got about 6 oz done by 3 am took a break, got some sleep, working in the garden will have to get back to it later lol

Made some worm poop soup mixes with Alaska fish fertilizer and lettin it brew for a bit then I’ll dilute it out into the sprayer (spray tip removed) and feed everything, been 2 weeks so I’ll add jacks 20-20-20 again, supposed to get a little heat wave this week, some stations predicted 97, which is is somethig. We almost never see all summer, so I want them nice and watered and fed and let the plastic hold them over moisture wise through the heat, these things are growing beautifully, the cherry tomato hedge row is filling in great with some training, continued removing pepper flowers on the in ground plants one more round while they get a bit bigger

Took a nice walk yesterday got a great view

Couple of the cats, (yes that’s the cats own couch 🤣)
That cat and couch go hand in hand! 😂 holy shit that thing looks like a spaz! We only have one cat at the moment and hes a big sweet heart. I like the ones that will attack for no reason from a vantage point you had no idea they were at! : )

Your garden as always is rockin! I’ve been looking at that 20-20-20 and will get some today or next week. I’m trying a less hands on approach this year (im usually all up in it) with minimal results lol! So the set and forget it is this year! were starting to get some heat up here, nothing over 100 so far (hopefully it stays that way! Windows are open and my house is like 65 degrees right now! ♥️

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
That cat and couch go hand in hand! 😂 holy shit that thing looks like a spaz! We only have one cat at the moment and hes a big sweet heart. I like the ones that will attack for no reason from a vantage point you had no idea they were at! : )

Your garden as always is rockin! I’ve been looking at that 20-20-20 and will get some today or next week. I’m trying a less hands on approach this year (im usually all up in it) with minimal results lol! So the set and forget it is this year! were starting to get some heat up here, nothing over 100 so far (hopefully it stays that way! Windows are open and my house is like 65 degrees right now! ♥️

No shortage of animals in this zoo, the black and grey ones are sisters, the white one is a demon, name is yeti, she’s the crazy one, well the one holding them all is the craziest in the picture but if she hears that I’m done for 🤣🤣

Don’t mind the ripped carpet we’re waiting to switch to all hardwood 🤣

IMG 3707
IMG 3708
IMG 2461
IMG 2393
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Happy Sunday all! And happy Father’s Day to all the other dads out there!

The plan! Each Frostette will get a half the 4x8 so 4x4 per plant, 12 gallon pots, not easy to locally source saucers but I did! 16” saucers, pots are exactly 16” wide, but airflow….. I have an idea, guy sells used golf balls up the street and these saucers have little divots in them, you know where I’m goin with this…. Gotta cut the lawns then I’ll run up and see how many dozen he has, need about 5 dozen I think

Trimming done ✅
Tent cleaned out ✅
Rewired lights to remove driver from the tent✅
Rearrange exhaust to back side so light can raise another 12”✅
Floors bleached✅
Ready to rock! 🤘🤘🤘

Just waiting on my Gaia green hopefully it shows today if not I’ll water the girls but they are huge and wanting an up pot

IMG 5375
IMG 5376
IMG 5378
IMG 5379
IMG 5380
IMG 5382
IMG 5383
IMG 5384
IMG 5385
Top Bottom