My Return to Growing by BudRanger!

• Thread starter BudRanger1919
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Well, when it comes to the root system of cannabis plants, there are a few factors that ultimately affect growth: Moisture, temperature and oxygen. One very important note is that these roots actually breathe in oxygen

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

Well, when it comes to the root system of cannabis plants, there are a few factors that ultimately affect growth: Moisture, temperature and oxygen. One very important note is that these roots actually breathe in oxygen
Yeah I was also worried about shit like root rot without dry cycles which I am assuming is more of a risk with living soil. I'm glad I have it sorted now, the last 3 watering's I have been doing wet to dry and they are responding well.

Do you run regular IPM treatments for your plants? I never had to deal with bugs before, but I was in coco and the risk was limited. I read that with living soil prevention is something a lot of people do. Do you spray your plants for bugs with an IPM product of some kind weekly for prevention?

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

i sometime deal with thrips in summer, i treat with spinosad when it happen.
Sometimes I have to deal with fungus gnats in my house in the spring-summer, but before I started I had a plumber come out and clean out all my drains, then I treated them with boiling water a number of times and they didn't come back thankfully. I bought a product for that too if they come back, its a "biological larvicide" that I heard works, a more popular option isn't available in my country but this one is the same thing. I never was bothered by them before but I was in coco, I kept hearing bugs are a lot more common in soil so I tried to prepare.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

few tips for fungus gnat:

Does sand on top of soil prevent fungus gnats?

Discard the soil immediately, and replace this top layer with sand, which is free of organic matter and dries out quickly—an unappealing medium for fungus-gnat eggs. Let the soil below dry out completely before the next watering. This should eliminate all fungus-gnat larvae present and prevent new eggs from being laid.

What to put on top of soil to kill gnats?

Inorganic soil covers, like pebbles, coarse sand, chicken grit, or diatomaceous earth (Some swear by the gnat-killing power of diatomaceous earth!); Pyrethrin sprays approved for organic gardening.

What kills fungus gnats instantly?

A peroxide solution apparently kills larvae and eggs on contact, effectively killing off all infant gnats and disrupting the lifecycle. You should be able to buy hydrogen peroxide from any high street pharmacy or online. Mix 1 part 9% hydrogen peroxide with 6 parts water.

Will a layer of perlite stop fungus gnats?

Fungus gnats lay their eggs in the top inch of soil so you could remove and replace it with fresh soil. Also adding a layer of fresh perlite/shell to top dress your plants can help to deter them.

What do fungus gnats hate?

The only way to get rid of gnats without killing them is to repel them with scents they don't like: vinegar, vanilla, pine oil, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and lavender. Even dryer sheets could help. Of course, the first line of duty would be to get rid of the infestation's root cause.

Will baking soda kill fungus gnats in soil?

Fungus gnats are also sensitive to baking soda. An ideal household remedy. Sprinkle some baking soda on the soil and then moisten it. The larvae that are in the soil absorb the baking soda and die over time.

a glass with apple cider vinegar may also attract and kill them

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

I have now saved that to a document in my plant folder! A lot of those tips will help me keep them gone in my bathroom and toilet area, which is approximately 3 meters away from my flowering chamber. I have the door sealed off now, but I'm not one to take chances, they are so tiny.
vanilla, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus,
Best part of this is that I love those smells. Especially eucalyptus. I'm glad I know of a few tools to fight them with when it warms up again, thank you!

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Does sand on top of soil prevent fungus gnats?

Discard the soil immediately, and replace this top layer with sand, which is free of organic matter and dries out quickly—an unappealing medium for fungus-gnat eggs. Let the soil below dry out completely before the next watering. This should eliminate all fungus-gnat larvae present and prevent new eggs from being laid.

What to put on top of soil to kill gnats?

Inorganic soil covers, like pebbles, coarse sand, chicken grit, or diatomaceous earth (Some swear by the gnat-killing power of diatomaceous earth!); Pyrethrin sprays approved for organic gardening.

What kills fungus gnats instantly?

A peroxide solution apparently kills larvae and eggs on contact, effectively killing off all infant gnats and disrupting the lifecycle. You should be able to buy hydrogen peroxide from any high street pharmacy or online. Mix 1 part 9% hydrogen peroxide with 6 parts water.

Will a layer of perlite stop fungus gnats?

Fungus gnats lay their eggs in the top inch of soil so you could remove and replace it with fresh soil. Also adding a layer of fresh perlite/shell to top dress your plants can help to deter them.

What do fungus gnats hate?

The only way to get rid of gnats without killing them is to repel them with scents they don't like: vinegar, vanilla, pine oil, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and lavender. Even dryer sheets could help. Of course, the first line of duty would be to get rid of the infestation's root cause.

Will baking soda kill fungus gnats in soil?

Fungus gnats are also sensitive to baking soda. An ideal household remedy. Sprinkle some baking soda on the soil and then moisten it. The larvae that are in the soil absorb the baking soda and die over time.

a glass with apple cider vinegar may also attract and kill them
I break up the top 2-3” of soil at least once a week one so the top dress dosent brick up, other is to keep the top 3” of medium in my buckets dry, made a massive difference in gnat reduction on its own, I also spray with captain jacks deadbug 2-3x before flip to flower, after that stuff wiped out my thrips in 2 days I use it every run before flower now just to CYA! 🤣

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

THIS tent, how many tents do you have? Also, those sticks, are they for further net or kinda supportive? I mean, they are inclined for a reason, right?
i have them there for support and training as that branch groes up the stick it spreads it out

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Absolutely stunning, I think you wont have a problem with that haha they look like they will occupy every inch of that space. I am anxious to start a real pheno hunt again, I should have ran all my seeds then maybe I would have had plenty like you, that is a massive L for me. My next run is going to be up to 10, depending on how many make it. I have 4 candidates, but I think the Bella Vista (MSG99 x RMQ) will be what I end up running.
what do you mean plenty like me i have 5 plants in that tent

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

what do you mean plenty like me i have 5 plants in that tent
Exactly. Maybe if I had planted all my 10 pack of my seeds I would have had 5 good choices right now instead of just deciding to plant 4 and hope for the best and end up with 3 lol. Next time I am planting every seed in the pack.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Exactly. Maybe if I had planted all my 10 pack of my seeds I would have had 5 good choices right now instead of just deciding to plant 4 and hope for the best and end up with 3 lol. Next time I am planting every seed in the pack.
ok so first off i never opened a 10 pack
i had a 6 pack of devine seeds opium used 3
i had 6 ganja farmer seeds skunk used all 6
had 3 pack auto overdose used all 3
had a 3 pack of ganja farmer tequila sunrise used all 3

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

and if my plants look better then yours it is because i do not have any big ass fan leaves blocking light or air flow like u have on your plants if u would defloiate your plants let in more air and light your plants will explode with vigor and growth

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

ok so first off i never opened a 10 pack
Oh yeah of course, I was referring to my 10 packs haha. My seed packs, right now, are all either 8 or 10 packs, but most are 10 packs. Usually when I plant, I plant the whole pack, but for some reason I just thought "she'll be sweet!" and just planted 4 🤣
and if my plants look better then yours it is because i do not have any big ass fan leaves blocking light or air flow like u have on your plants if u would defloiate your plants let in more air and light your plants will explode with vigor and growth
Aaaaah, I see! So you reckon those fan leaves are doing more harm than good where they are? I removed, about a week ago now, the top 2 fan leaves for that same reason, but as the picture you just shared shows MORE leaves are already taking their place. So if this was your grow, you would get rid of those huge fan leaves to the left and right of that picture?

I have been afraid to do any heavy work on them. I used to defoliate no worries, but its been so long I do not trust myself.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Oh yeah of course, I was referring to my 10 packs haha. My seed packs, right now, are all either 8 or 10 packs, but most are 10 packs. Usually when I plant, I plant the whole pack, but for some reason I just thought "she'll be sweet!" and just planted 4 🤣

Aaaaah, I see! So you reckon those fan leaves are doing more harm than good where they are? I removed, about a week ago now, the top 2 fan leaves for that same reason, but as the picture you just shared shows MORE leaves are already taking their place. So if this was your grow, you would get rid of those huge fan leaves to the left and right of that picture?

I have been afraid to do any heavy work on them. I used to defoliate no worries, but its been so long I do not trust myself.
yea i would have cut them off a while back i barely have a fan leaf bigger then my hand lol some guys say they never defoliate and some guys do , i was told when i started growing if it is blocking a bud site it goes lol

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

yea i would have cut them off a while back i barely have a fan leaf bigger then my hand lol
Okay I am going to come back in about 10-30 minutes. I had a good look the plants just then and every fan leaf has something important under it that wants light.
some guys say they never defoliate and some guys do , i was told when i started growing if it is blocking a bud site it goes lol
Yeah I think the best thing I have ever done is make an account here. I hope you are around in 10-30 minutes, Ill post pictures after I open up the canopy.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

but i;m not sure i would remove them all at once take 1 or 2 of each plant when u see new growth take another 1 or 2 at least that is how i do but im no master grower either

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Okay I am going to come back in about 10-30 minutes. I had a good look the plants just then and every fan leaf has something important under it that wants light.

Yeah I think the best thing I have ever done is make an account here. I hope you are around in 10-30 minutes, Ill post pictures after I open up the canopy.
if this plant was mine the leafs i marked blue i would remove

BudRanger1919

BudRanger1919

if this plant was mine the leafs i marked blue i would remove
I took 3-4 off each plant, and opened up the branches below that were being shaded and had little airflow.
I also took the massive fan leaves off the very bottom you marked as well, so air and light can make it through.
The 2 main colas are already ready to be tied down again.
100 0204

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I took 3-4 off each plant, and opened up the branches below that were being shaded and had little airflow.
I also took the massive fan leaves off the very bottom you marked as well, so air and light can make it through.
The 2 main colas are already ready to be tied down again.
View attachment 2185917
you will be able to tell a difference in a day or two

Latest posts

Top Bottom