Questions When Using an Evaporative Swamp Cooler

ComB

ComB

I live in a hot & dry state. A state that swamp coolers work well in.

I have 1-2 4x4’s tents in a 12’x15’ room. The lights come on at night when it’s coolest outside but the room still gets to 85+ degrees, even with box fans in the tents blowing onto the quantum boards. In the summer I leave the tents mostly unzipped or else it would likely get to 90+ in the tent if it’s 85+ in the room.

There are two windows in this room.

If I were to get an indoor evaporative cooler / swamp cooler, I will obviously need to leave at least one window open to have a constant supply of fresh dry air for the cooler.

My questions are…

1) Would it be best to try to get ducting to lead cool air directly from the cooler into the bottom of the tent(s)? Or, would it be best to simply leave the cooler in the middle of the room and continue to leave the tent(s) open/unzipped?

2) and with the evaporative cooler, do yall think it would be best to exhaust via my carbon filter and fan out of the top of the tent(s) and out of the second window? Or should I leave the second window open or closed?

I currently do not supplement CO2, but could see my self using tanks in the future.

Any tips, advice, suggestions, wisdom, experience, etc. you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
I live in a hot & dry state. A state that swamp coolers work well in.

I have 1-2 4x4’s tents in a 12’x15’ room. The lights come on at night when it’s coolest outside but the room still gets to 85+ degrees, even with box fans in the tents blowing onto the quantum boards. In the summer I leave the tents mostly unzipped or else it would likely get to 90+ in the tent if it’s 85+ in the room.

There are two windows in this room.

If I were to get an indoor evaporative cooler / swamp cooler, I will obviously need to leave at least one window open to have a constant supply of fresh dry air for the cooler.

My questions are…

1) Would it be best to try to get ducting to lead cool air directly from the cooler into the bottom of the tent(s)? Or, would it be best to simply leave the cooler in the middle of the room and continue to leave the tent(s) open/unzipped?

2) and with the evaporative cooler, do yall think it would be best to exhaust via my carbon filter and fan out of the top of the tent(s) and out of the second window? Or should I leave the second window open or closed?

I currently do not supplement CO2, but could see my self using tanks in the future.

Any tips, advice, suggestions, wisdom, experience, etc. you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Make it easy. Just cool the room. I use an evaporative cooler in my garage and crack the main garage door a few inches. Depending on strain, temps up to 96 will be fine. Just keep the humidity constant. 45-60% you can do that by attaching an ink bird to it for automation.
IMG 20230929 153546 01 1

Newty

Newty

Supporter
How's your humidity during the warmer months? Evap Swamp Coolers add humidity, an actual A/C unit will remove humidity and will be better in hot and humid climates.

ComB

ComB

How's your humidity during the warmer months? Evap Swamp Coolers add humidity, an actual A/C unit will remove humidity and will be better in hot and humid climates.
It’s pretty dry. Like 15%-30% in the summer months

Newty

Newty

Supporter
It’s pretty dry. Like 15%-30% in the summer months
Sounds like it would work really well then!

Do you exhaust your tent into the lung room or outside?

I would start with the simplest thing which would be to just cool the room, no ducts or anything. Let it run for a bit and if you want better results, start trying other things.

I run intake fans on my tents and when I need to heat or cool my lung room, my environment changes much quicker then when I ran passive intakes.
I have my intakes on ducts with register boots on them, I do this so I can move them closer to the heating and cooling source if needed.

I've had times where I've needed to have my tent doors open a bit, I bought a roll of white screen used for doors/windows and laid it over then openings to catch any debris or insects.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I use A large, three pad side draft cooler to cool my house! I wouldn’t want anything like that inside my house! The rinky-dink float levels you use to control the water level in the pan tend to stick, and the pan can overflow! I don’t know about portable ones! I’m thinking they might be pretty messy also! The window ones work, pretty good, and all of the mess remains outside! And it will bump up the humidity! I have an inverter window air conditioner in the bedroom that I use for drying! Keeps the room at 60 as long as I want it to. And surprisingly easy on the electric bill! I think they are like 15 seer! But they cost more upfront! I would never go back to a regular window, air conditioner! Good luck!

Last edited:
Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
I use A large, three pad side draft cooler to cool my house! I wouldn’t want anything like that inside my house! The rinky-dink float levels you use to control the water level in the pan tend to stick, and the pan can overflow! I don’t know about portable ones! I’m thinking they might be pretty messy also! The window ones work, pretty good, and all of the mess remains outside! And it will bump up the humidity! I have an inverter window air conditioner in the bedroom that I use for drying! Keeps the room at 60 as long as I want it to. And surprisingly easy on the electric bill! I think they are like 15 seer! But they cost more upfront! I would never go back to a regular window, air conditioner! Good luck!
Little off topic, but my AC went down last week and my full replacement was with one of them inverter units you mentioned here. Wish I did this 5 years ago. Works like a champion. Cools the house effortlessly. And we're in the middle of triple digit weather right now.

Top Bottom