Rights Of Home Grower

• Thread starter Underthesun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

Feeling anxious this morning. Last night I chopped my first girl down, wife said she could smell it from a 1/4 mile away or more. My neighbors were outside, 50 yards or so away, I could here them and they sounded angry but couldn't make out what they were saying. They are small minded people from what I can tell, I can name numerous things they do like burning trash and shooting wildlife with no merit. They are not the kind of people that like marijuana and don't like me. So all the yelling I could only assume was about me stinking up the neighborhood. They both work for the goverment one way or another and not sure what kind of ties they have if any. I went to bed last night worried they were going to call the cops, and sometimes your gut feeling is right. Today the police rolled by my house, stopped right in front of it, drove off, came back 2 minutes later and slightly pulled in my driveway, then parked about 20 feet up from my house for 5 minutes....than left. No smells this morning since I got everything in my shed with a carbon filter but even then that doesn't work that well in some cases. It really smells when I'm moving plants from my greenhouse to my shed and I can't do anything about that.

So, I'm not breaking any laws that I know of. Having quite a bit of dried bud from last year in jars in the garage has me a little worried. I'm a paranoid ass when it comes to cops so if they do decide to talk to me I'll look suspicious even though I'm not breaking any laws. Can they search my house just because they smell it? Is there anything my neighbors can do to me, like take me to court? Just seeing if anyone has dealt with this before. Wish they would just talk to me like you know, neighbors, but no lets call the police.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
No guns?
In Colorado?
If worried bury last years in 5 gallon buckets or not..
what county?

Underthesun

Underthesun

That's a good idea about burying, thanks. No more than an ounce ever leaves my property. I have one 12 gauge...maybe I'll send it to a friends house. My county is lenient on cannabis I believe. Yes, in Colorado.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
would considering Getting the gun out asap. Send all cash on hand our way for safe keeping so they will not confiscate lol...
I have a 22 LR for skunks and its a worry I hide it well but come on were a farm needs skunk defense in barn...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There was a recent court ruling that said odor is not sufficient cause to search, but I can't recall who made the ruling or where. I'm sorry! I can ask around though if you like.

Underthesun

Underthesun

There was a recent court ruling that said odor is not sufficient cause to search, but I can't recall who made the ruling or where. I'm sorry! I can ask around though if you like.

After a little internet searching I believe it was AZ. But I also thought I read somewhere in CO that smell can be propable cause if there is another contributing factor, like me looking nervous with green sticky fingers? I think if I get my gun out, I won't be too worried with a 1/4 of bud in the garage....but the law says 2 oz. Which doesn't make any sense and I have also heard if you grew it at home you can have an larger amount as long as it doesn't leave your property.

Either way, I'm hoping the cop was called, he rolled by, didn't smell anything and its a done deal. I'm going to do all my trimming late night now with the loud ass filter on in my ear and with any luck I'll be smoking some fire in a few weeks and this will all be a distant memory. Why can't we just live and let live, sheesh.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Now see, I thought it was CO courts that ruled smell is *not* probable cause. But I think you may be right.

I hate asshole neighbors. Seriously.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Now see, I thought it was CO courts that ruled smell is *not* probable cause. But I think you may be right.

I hate asshole neighbors. Seriously.

Beaned neighbor in head with a rock once upon a time..
He provoked me and I suckered in.
Every morning he would bang on an anvil with a hammer right outside my bedroom window and say...Good morning devil...
He golf clubbed chunks of concrete and hit my chevy alarm went off one morning mowing lawn with a hangover....
I picked up rock and threw it back and hit him square in forehead..
OH OH OH!! I said.....
Blood gushing out, fire Dept. Ambulance 4 cops cars..
Arrested for felony assault to the elderly hauled off to Denver jail...
$10,000 bail. My senior neighbor bailed me out and picked me up from jail
She had a cooler with a 6 pack on ice in car just waiting for me.
long story made short he shit his pants at the trial as the witness and case was handled in chambers, probation one year and case was dismissed.
The city condemned his house he was a mass hoarder...
A new guy moved in and we loaded 5 huge dumpsters over 1000 plastic milk gallons filled with water. Suitcases full of foodstuffs mice had invaded. Packed floor to ceiling could not walk anywhere.

He Cleaned and gutted entire house. Then he got upset at me for all the parties and drinking lol....
Moved out, gay guy moved in tolerated my antics....

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm like 90%positive you can possess all you want at the place you grew it at in co. I would loose the gun and any large amounts of cash just to be safe and if you have a scale of any sort as well. As long as our not over plant count and people can't see your plants from any angle even from above you should be solid....fuck your neighbors

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
The cops get tons of calls about smell and from what I've heard is they send out code enforcement not the cops to fine your ass! I never answer the door unless I know who's out there. No warrant no entry. You open that door they will get in I promise you that.

xavier7995

xavier7995

You can possess as much as you want as long as it doesn't leave where produced. Echoing the sentiment to get any firearms well away from your residence. Same with cash, it can be a difficult process to try and recover your money even if there is no criminal case. Would be a good idea to get those items to a trusted person ASAP or go bury it off your property...but uuhhhhhhh. ...just make real sure you remember where it was buried.

Underthesun

Underthesun

The cops get tons of calls about smell and from what I've heard is they send out code enforcement not the cops to fine your ass! I never answer the door unless I know who's out there. No warrant no entry. You open that door they will get in I promise you that.

This was a county sherrif that pulled up. I can't find any laws regarding smell where I live, but it kind of hints that a call in about smell may allow the police to investigate further. I'm hoping their further investigation was just a drive by to smell, and the conclusion by the sheriff is that my neighbors are full of shit.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
This was a county sherrif that pulled up. I can't find any laws regarding smell where I live, but it kind of hints that a call in about smell may allow the police to investigate further. I'm hoping their further investigation was just a drive by to smell, and the conclusion by the sheriff is that my neighbors are full of shit.
Unless your neighbors have connections with the cops" and they may if they work for the government " I can not see them getting out to you that fast. And normally if they come as far as to pull in your driveway they will be knocking on your door to at least try to bate you into a crime.
With how many people that grow today they need a bit more then smell to get a judge to sign off on a warrent. Just to be safe lose the gun scales and money until your all packed up.
I fucken hate pussy ass neighbors! If you have a problem come talk to me when you see me outside. Don't come dinging my door bell or calling the cops.i always make sure to see my neighbors outside once a week. That way if your really bothering them that much hopefully they have the balls to ask you to clean it up instead of being a little bitch.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Well, I wish I had a stack of cash to hide...but it looks like just the 12 ga that needs to go. Feel weird asking friends to take a gun, they might think I did an actual crime.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

The advice so far is good. I agree with X that recreational regulations do not cap possession assuming the product stays where it is grown.

I know the pres. of a local HOA and they had a grow house in the neighborhood. Rather than talk to the homeowner, neighbor complained to HOA. HOA has no procedure so they call county sheriff, who shares his view that growing is not illegal, even if grandma across the street doesn't like 'all those illegal mexicans coming and going'. Sheriff's office goes to property for a knock and talk, people living in the home are patients with high plant counts, over a hundred plants for two patients. Cops asked questions, did not ask for med card or EPC paperwork, occupants complied because they were legal. HOA followed up with sheriff, who confirmed compliance and confirmed over 100 plants on the property. Sorry granny, nothing can be done. Sheriff confirmed they do not ask about electric usage or work with local utilities if grows are reported. So that's nice.

Smell is not probable cause for a search warrant. If they come you can play nice and show them you are legal, or you can ignore a knock and talk but you will likely be put on a list somewhere. If you are legal and have nothing to hide it's all good. If you are not compliant or are otherwise engaging in risky behavior like having a gun in the garden is exactly that, risky. I think it's safe to say that those who are serious about not being caught are taking steps to ensure that, and the cops are more interested in demonizing pot so they can keep charging DUID's.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
The advice so far is good. I agree with X that recreational regulations do not cap possession assuming the product stays where it is grown.

I know the pres. of a local HOA and they had a grow house in the neighborhood. Rather than talk to the homeowner, neighbor complained to HOA. HOA has no procedure so they call county sheriff, who shares his view that growing is not illegal, even if grandma across the street doesn't like 'all those illegal mexicans coming and going'. Sheriff's office goes to property for a knock and talk, people living in the home are patients with high plant counts, over a hundred plants for two patients. Cops asked questions, did not ask for med card or EPC paperwork, occupants complied because they were legal. HOA followed up with sheriff, who confirmed compliance and confirmed over 100 plants on the property. Sorry granny, nothing can be done. Sheriff confirmed they do not ask about electric usage or work with local utilities if grows are reported. So that's nice.

Smell is not probable cause for a search warrant. If they come you can play nice and show them you are legal, or you can ignore a knock and talk but you will likely be put on a list somewhere. If you are legal and have nothing to hide it's all good. If you are not compliant or are otherwise engaging in risky behavior like having a gun in the garden is exactly that, risky. I think it's safe to say that those who are serious about not being caught are taking steps to ensure that, and the cops are more interested in demonizing pot so they can keep charging DUID's.
Never in my life will I ever let some pig fuck in my house to do a plant count. Legal or not.
Totally agree with the pot DUI bullshit. Revenue seeking asshats! I found a DUI therapy class that doesn't ua there unsupervised probation clients. What a relief lol

Underthesun

Underthesun

This all makes me feel a little better. I can't see them scrambling through my home causing my marraige all kinds of issues just because of a few stinky plants.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have avoided quite a few issues by just not opening the door. Same as keeping your mouth shut unless your attorney is present, no sense in giving a single shred of evidence against yourself or any sort of assistance to those trying to harm you.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

edit-
I have avoided quite a few issues by just not opening the door. Same as keeping your mouth shut unless your attorney is present, no sense in giving a single shred of evidence against yourself or any sort of assistance to those trying to harm you.
Show them your ATH Number Two and they'll leave you alone for shizzle.
Never in my life will I ever let some pig fuck in my house to do a plant count. Legal or not.
Totally agree with the pot DUI bullshit. Revenue seeking asshats! I found a DUI therapy class that doesn't ua there unsupervised probation clients. What a relief lol
Be careful, it is very likely that you will be asked to drop a UA when you have your final meetings prior to getting out of the system. It fucked me into another six months of probation. Never took a UA during the time I was under supervision, and they got me. Fuckers.

I completely agree about allowing a knock and talk. They can knock and I will talk through the door and kindly ask them to fuck off and to come back with a warrant. Normally I don't advocate being an asshole to a cop, but the guys who would come knocking, in my eyes, are not police with my best interests in mind, they are there to arrest people to satisfy their quota-that-doesn't-exist. The folks in my example are sick patients, not cash croppers, so they have nothing to hide and were happy to do a show and tell. Legit situations usually lead to legit solutions.

I would rather see cops try and fix their own shit like murdering innocents, not acting like untrained wannabe soldiers, maybe require police abuse lawsuits to be settled with police retirement funds and not citizen tax dollars. If Sheriff Dick wants his full retirement he better make sure Sheriff Richard doesn't shoot unarmed minorities. It boggles my mind that cops can and do kill pets because they can and because they are assholes, but if a citizen injures a police dog they are charged as if the dog was a cop. That's fucking nuts.

I feel like david after dentist.

Is this real life?

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

This all makes me feel a little better. I can't see them scrambling through my home causing my marraige all kinds of issues just because of a few stinky plants.
Make sure the better half is on the same page as you are with regards to saying thanks but no thanks to a police visit. Once the front door opens there are no take-backs, but you are definitely in the right place. It's good for you that there are a lot of bigger fish out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom