Overwatering or light stress? Leaves seem to be drooping a little

• Thread starter GSCdoink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budtirement

Are those aluminum foil reflectors? I have a total DIY setup so that's the only reflector material I have lol. Works like a charm and I save hundreds of dollars on a bunch of equipment while I learn how to grow.
Aluminum foil taped to thin cardboard. Yup. Budtirement in my case means limited budget. But tent farming is paying big dividends!

G

GSCdoink

idk

should you? be a little independant sometimes, especially when it comes to transplants. This can be a collaborative effort, but fr spend some time one on one with the girls! 😉
Yeah you're right I should probably stop asking advice every chance I get lol. Just tryna make sure I do this right but again this is my first grown so there's gonna be room for improvements

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

@GSCdoink

Don't stress so much. You would be surprised how resilient cannabis is. It's a just a weed but as is the way with plants they have their individual needs and preferences. On the other hand they all have the same basic needs. I've seen plants come back from the brink and still produce a respectable amount of good smoke. Here is an example. The plant in the pictures suffered from severe underwatering. Nearly every leaf was drooping. It had lost so much color that the leaves were barely still yellow. The stems were so purple they almost looked black. Like a blackberry. It was like seeing EVERY nute deficiency at the same time practically.. it was a trip. Wish i had a pic of it then. Sorry. I whipped up a little root tonic and it started coming back to life. One pic is like 3-4 days later and the other one is about a week or so later I think. As you can see she has her foliage color back and the branches are greening up nicely. So with a little tlc yours will be fine.

20240625 093009
20240625 093016

G

GSCdoink

@GSCdoink

Don't stress so much. You would be surprised how resilient cannabis is. It's a just a weed but as is the way with plants they have their individual needs and preferences. On the other hand they all have the same basic needs. I've seen plants come back from the brink and still produce a respectable amount of good smoke. Here is an example. The plant in the pictures suffered from severe underwatering. Nearly every leaf was drooping. It had lost so much color that the leaves were barely still yellow. The stems were so purple they almost looked black. Like a blackberry. It was like seeing EVERY nute deficiency at the same time practically.. it was a trip. Wish i had a pic of it then. Sorry. I whipped up a little root tonic and it started coming back to life. One pic is like 3-4 days later and the other one is about a week or so later I think. As you can see she has her foliage color back and the branches are greening up nicely. So with a little tlc yours will be fine.

View attachment 2202763View attachment 2202764
oh wow. The bounce back on this girl was crazy! Im taking everyone's advice surely especially when it comes to overthinking and letting her do her thing. I just get concerned when I don’t see the branches stretching out or even the main stem getting taller which is why I always think im doing something wrong. On the flip side of that, I know it could also just be as simple as genetics. What does purple branches indicate? just lack of nutes and lighting?

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Sometimes purple stems are a genetic trail. I have girl right now that has the same 3 fan blade that won't green up no matter what I tried. As it got older I noticed that every other leaf that repeated this tendency. That's genetics. Nothing will change it so I don't sweat it. Everything's seems fine. Purple stems but everything else looks healthy? Then it's not an issue probably. It can happen from cold temps at night or wide temp swings. Most deficiency issues develop at a pace that gives you or the plant time to correct things. Focus on the basics. Correct watering is one that many may have taken some time to dial in. Take it from a (mostly) rehabilitated over waterer.

As I like to say, the hardest thing to do when you're growing weed is to do nothing.

mobshit

mobshit

wait longer before you water. when you repot up a size and have overwatering issues it will usually compound more unless you make adjustments by watering less in the next container(say 25% water volume vs 35%). You always want to step up say 16 ounce cup, 1 gallon or 2 gallon pot, than a 5 gallon. You'll get the fastest growth this way. If you have a scale weigh the cup/pot before watering. now add 35% of the volume of media in water and weigh it. So say a 16 ounce cup add 5 ounces of water and weight it. now get used to the feel of how it feels when water is added. This is your balance, you don't want your pot to ever weigh more than that for fast growth. It's like dictating the air water ratio in the root zone. You don't ever want to fully saturate the medium early stages, it'll only slow you down from being overwatered. I would wait until transplanting before I oversaturate till runoff so you could flush excess feed. That's why you see people talk about crop steering. They would add say 10% water volume over 3-4 times a day so the medium has a higher air to water ratio vs saturating 35% once a day. When you automate feeding you will always get the better growth because no one wants to feed a plant 3-4 times a day. A smart power switch and pump can handle it with ease and put you at a higher oxygen ratio in the medium. Purple stems are sometimes genetic but most of the time not. It can tell you if the plant is too cold or in shock. When it's cold, the plant can't uptake phosphorus as well.

G

GSCdoink

wait longer before you water. when you repot up a size and have overwatering issues it will usually compound more unless you make adjustments by watering less in the next container(say 25% water volume vs 35%). You always want to step up say 16 ounce cup, 1 gallon or 2 gallon pot, than a 5 gallon. You'll get the fastest growth this way. If you have a scale weigh the cup/pot before watering. now add 35% of the volume of media in water and weigh it. So say a 16 ounce cup add 5 ounces of water and weight it. now get used to the feel of how it feels when water is added. This is your balance, you don't want your pot to ever weigh more than that for fast growth. It's like dictating the air water ratio in the root zone. You don't ever want to fully saturate the medium early stages, it'll only slow you down from being overwatered. I would wait until transplanting before I oversaturate till runoff so you could flush excess feed. That's why you see people talk about crop steering. They would add say 10% water volume over 3-4 times a day so the medium has a higher air to water ratio vs saturating 35% once a day. When you automate feeding you will always get the better growth because no one wants to feed a plant 3-4 times a day. A smart power switch and pump can handle it with ease and put you at a higher oxygen ratio in the medium. Purple stems are sometimes genetic but most of the time not. It can tell you if the plant is too cold or in shock. When it's cold, the plant can't uptake phosphorus as well.
So in a 1-2 gallon pot 1L of water every few days still isn't enough even if I see runoff? I guess that's where my confusion sits. I was always hell bent on overwatering and once I see runoff I immediately stop and make sure she's not sitting in it. I do need to invest in a scale because right now I'm just going off of picking her up and comparing dry/wet as you mentioned.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
im thinking both tbh

So in a 1-2 gallon pot 1L of water every few days still isn't enough even if I see runoff? I guess that's where my confusion sits. I was always hell bent on overwatering and once I see runoff I immediately stop and make sure she's not sitting in it. I do need to invest in a scale because right now I'm just going off of picking her up and comparing dry/wet as you mentioned.
a 2 gallon pot will take 2000 ml,. water 500 ml across the whole surface, let it soak a couple mins,. water another 500 ml and wait a bit longer to water 500 ml again,.
letting all the medium to get wet,.. if you water quickly the water will take the path of least resistance, leaving areas of the medium dry,.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
a 2 gallon pot will take 2000 ml,. water 500 ml across the whole surface, let it soak a couple mins,. water another 500 ml and wait a bit longer to water 500 ml again,.
letting all the medium to get wet,.. if you water quickly the water will take the path of least resistance, leaving areas of the medium dry,.
what’s the worst case scenario if you can visually see your plants daily,. so you don’t water until it looks sad, limp, lifeless? so you water and it’s all back to normal in a couple hours,. but if you water a day or two to early a few times that will affect the plant the entire grow/harvest,. so you need to learn if you need to let it get droopy sad once twice than do it,.
picking up pot to check weight is a great way,.
see the only issue with the plant is the confidence of the caretaker

G

GSCdoink

what’s the worst case scenario if you can visually see your plants daily,. so you don’t water until it looks sad, limp, lifeless? so you water and it’s all back to normal in a couple hours,. but if you water a day or two to early a few times that will affect the plant the entire grow/harvest,. so you need to learn if you need to let it get droopy sad once twice than do it,.
picking up pot to check weight is a great way,.
see the only issue with the plant is the confidence of the caretaker
I guess worse case scenario in my eyes is just overwatering and killing her and knowing the difference between when she's hungry or when she's not but after all the advice and knowledge coming for you guys I think I have a better understanding of everything. I worry about her not getting enough light in certain areas since I dont see the branches stretching but could be genetics like someone else mentioned. Im learning to leave her alone but not to neglect her either.

Top Bottom