Mr dizzle's doubled's MPB style jockin log

• Thread starter mrdizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

easypleasie

SoCali, if you're gonna do dwc, you might as well do rdwc. Not a whole lot different other than the plumbing and res/pumps. You still need to keep nute temps in check and aerated. It seems rdwc may actually be easier to maintain than individual dwc buckets. You most likely won't get near the same yield without the recirculation. That's where some of the magic happens.

First time grower or first time at hydro? DDS's system might not be the route you wanna take if you can't afford to lose your first harvest. Don't want to discourage you but starting anything new is gonna be a little risky. Grow how you know if harvest is vital and take on new challenges as you feel more confident. No need to rush things :) Plan, plan and plan some more! lol Gotta ask yourself if you're ready, willing and able to risk taking on an unfamiliar system.

DDS has laid out the plans and if you follow them to a tee, you could have great success. But know that you can lose a crop pretty fast if you're not on top of it.

To answer your question, yes you can do dwc and switch to rdwc. Thing is you can screw up either of them equally bad!

Best of luck in your ventures, bro.

M

mrdizzle

socali easy is right, dwc buckets are out of the question i think. really hard to maintain proper ec/ph. constantly checking them. blah. try some hempy's for your first run then read up on this system. Im setting up another room yesterday which turned into today and maybe tomorrow. but im gonna try to post as many pics as possible of the whole process, to show you how easy it really is

M

mrdizzle

Ive never seen anyone pull anywhere near close to what DD does in a stand alone dwc bucket, its a prius vs a mustang

E

easypleasie

Socali, the one benefit I see with individual dwc buckets is you can cater nute schedules and use different strains. It seems like it will be a ton of work if you have a lot of buckets/strains...but could be worth it if you're willing to put in the effort.
Ambient temps may be key here. If it's really warm, you might have some issues if you can't keep nute temps manageable.

I've seen a single dwc grow yield 4 pounds by foaf, but that was with a chiller and separate res so I guess it's still recirculating.

K

kushpheen

I dont clean buckets until harvest time. What is it you need to clean up bro?

When its time to change res (1ce a week for 1st 4 weeks) I completely drain the system and refill it with fresh ph'd water. I let that run in the system for 2 hours.
Drain the system and do the same again for 4 hours. Refill the sytem with fresh water again. Then i add the nutes.

dds

Hey DDS, are you using R/O water for your system? if so do you use it when you do this weekly flush or do you think a standard big boy water filter would be sufficient for your nutes or flush? I can't seem to find your choice of water in other threads, thanks bro!

K

kushpheen

Hey dizzle how are your 27 gal tubs holding up? The lids didn't seem quite as strong as the tubs and the triangular pattern seems like it might be tricky when cutting your holes for the 3 gal buckets. Any tips on working with those? In one of your pics it looks like your using the same hose and adapters as DD's right? Also, did you go with this layout
XoX
oXo
XoX

Im basically planning the same setup with the same size room, so I'm glued to this, keep up the good work bro!

M

mrdizzle

they are lifers, I dont see them breaking ever. once u get those cages on the weight on the tubs in minimal. haha it is actually the hardest part, cutting through the tops but you only have to do it once.

I am using those quick release fittings, $550 bucks for 11 buckets worth. would I reinvest in them.......probably not, they are really cool but a standard ebb n flow fitting can be bough for $2.50, saving you about $500 bucks

yep thats my lay out. im pondering a 4 plant lay out but i will decide after this room comes down, if i get 2 per light its stays

K

kushpheen

I was thinking the same thing, Ive used those standard ebb n flow fittings with great success, occasionally having to replace a bad o-ring but no big deal. Those fittings do seem a little overpriced, but it's an important corner I'm not sure I want to cut. I think maybe I'll give the standard ebb fittings a test on 1 bucket and see how they hold up before I invest in that many, I'll let you know how they hold up.

What did you use to cut those lids anyway, jigsaw or sawzall?

M

mrdizzle

razor blade. I bought those fittings because i thought it would be easy come cleaning time to remove the buckets. then DD stated he replaces the 1inch tubing anyways so it kinda makes the quickrelease fitting moot. I use the ebb n flow fitting for the feed line with no problems, I had trouble finding 1/2 bulkhead fittings, but i ordered some from marinedepot for 6bucks a piece so i will change them out next round

B

Boots Sugarleaf

yeah, I say unless you are going to be moving the setup a lot ebb and flow fittings are the good choice. I get them at my local grow shop $2 each any size I want

D

DaScoundrel

Following along, bro... guide the way.

I'll be ordering some 1" drain fittings within a few days for the 12 SuperBox totes i'm setting up.

:beer :cool :beer

S

Sway

DIZ lets see some update photos! i wanna see how your bitches are lookin now days, i bet they are monsters!

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I am w/ sway, the flowers must be bulkin' up fast now...when u get a chance bro

budfriend

budfriend

pounds per 1000w

Mr Dizzle,

How many pounds for each 1000w bulb is DD getting. He deleted all his journals.

Is it 42 pounds with 10,000w or with 20,000w.

Thanks

:free-character-smil

C

crossouttheiis

I was curious once you put them in there after vegging... How far did you hang the lamps down away from the plants, height wise? did you ever adjust them? I am new to vertical lighting!

C

Casper13

hey mrdizzle.... nice grow so far! Just curious about your thoughts on maybe using (1) inch and a half drain instead of using (2) 1 inch as DD sugests? Do you have many root clogging problems,and do you think you could get away with just using 1 large drain? thanks and keep up the good work.

Top Bottom