How Long Until Harvest Time?

• Thread starter MyCologist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moonwater

Moonwater

That plant is fully good to go IMO. I also personally feel that "racy paranoid" effect is causing primarily by pesticides, fungicides and other SOP's of commercial pot

M

MyCologist

That plant is fully good to go IMO. I also personally feel that "racy paranoid" effect is causing primarily by pesticides, fungicides and other SOP's of commercial pot
You're not concerned with the amount of white pistils still popping out?

I've never heard that about the "racy paranoid" thing, I always thought it was from plants that were harvest before the cannabinoids were fully developed.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

Personally I don't harvest when it's still throwing out white hairs. It does get frustrating tho when all else indicates time to chop and they keep popping up. I'd wait a week but It's really a preference thing

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

At milky white like this I check for bud swell. I'm still seeing quite a few trichs that seem to be just getting some color or are still clear. By the time I start seeing a noticeable amount of amber developing, I'm usually at or close to max mass. The exception for me is something that I want to have a heavy body focus. Everything else....well I got stuff to do. Lol My primary goal is quality. If I can manage to get a little more quantity too that's great but I don't sweat it.

YMMV

Regardless, those are beautiful girls!

M

MyCologist

At milky white like this I check for bud swell. I'm still seeing quite a few trichs that seem to be just getting some color or are still clear. By the time I start seeing a noticeable amount of amber developing, I'm usually at or close to max mass. The exception for me is something that I want to have a heavy body focus. Everything else....well I got stuff to do. Lol My primary goal is quality. If I can manage to get a little more quantity too that's great but I don't sweat it.

YMMV

Regardless, those are beautiful girls!
Thanks for the advice thus far.

It's been yet another week, 14 weeks old now, and I'm still on the fence. Still some white pistils on the primary buds, pistils are all red on the lower buds, still no amber to speak of, buds still seem to be putting on weight. I don't see any of those crystal clear trichs, I'm starting to worry about the plant going downhill without ever showing any amber but maybe that's unfounded. Here are few pics from yesterday afternoon.

IMG 9517
IMG 9520
IMG 9542
IMG 9549
IMG 9583
IMG 9589
IMG 9595
2024 06 28 21 54 33 647
2024 06 26 21 39 24 263
2024 06 26 21 37 47 158
RootFarmer

RootFarmer

I'm still seeing quite a bit of clear/clear-ish trichomes.
Screenshot 20240629 082017

At first, the buds look sparkly and sugar dipped (clear) then snow dusted (white) and then they get sorta dull looking as amber emerges. Like this. 👇

Jelly Breath 2 2023

Jelly Breath 2023
20230919 151000

Black Raspberry Kush 3 2023

M

MyCologist

Ok, thanks! I was thinking those were milky/cloudy compared to when I first looked at trichs and they looked clear, like water or glass.

I've read a couple of horror stories of people letting plants go too long waiting for amber show and ended up with trichs kind of popping or melting away so I'm probably being overly concerned with that. I think the leaves yellowing off so much has made me keep thinking it is closer to done that it really is.

In reality, for every one I've seen that let them go too long, I've seen a dozen or more that cut them down way too soon. It seems like most inexperienced growers tend to chop too early from what I've seen, and I can understand why. That last 10% of ripening seems like it can take quite a long time.

Sunin

Sunin

I sooo don't want amber on my weed that from the moment when I see milk I am checking twice per day like lunatic 🤣
before amber bursts few different ambers have to appear. that pearlish amber (I don't know how to call this phase colour differently but you have it nicely captured in your photos) is as far as I would go. when I see first more clear amber ambers I cut immediately, if I have to branch at the time 🤣

your amber just starts and you have still filling clears so any day now 🤟 any day

greets

Last edited:
RootFarmer

RootFarmer

By the time your buds are ripening they are dense. That means moisture gets trapped in there. That's one reason why good air flow is critical in confined spaces like a tent which traps moisture from soil evaporation or even more so a hydro system. Add heat from lights and your humidity goes up.....I think you can see where this could go.

"I used to water at will. Now I water at wilt." ~ RootFarmer

P

Phyto

I sooo don't want amber on my weed that from the moment when I see milk I am checking twice per day like lunatic 🤣
before amber bursts few different ambers have to appear. that pearlish amber (I don't know how to call this phase colour differently but you have it nicely captured in your photos) is as far as I would go. when I see first more clear amber ambers I cut immediately, if I have to branch at the time 🤣

your amber just starts and you have still filling clears so any day now 🤟 any day

greets
I think the "pearlish amber" is a milky trich.

M

MyCologist

I'm not sure if the trich color talk in the last few posts is referring to mine or the other ones but I do see some in mine that are what I would call "past milky" right at the tops. Kind of a pale honey color.

I do have good airflow and the humidity is running about 55% a few hours after watering, with the tent at 78 degrees so that seems pretty safe mold-wise.

RootFarmer

RootFarmer

Jelly Breath frosty af just before going into terp lock bags...harvested at milky white with just a touch of amber starting.

20230927 145620

Here is a nug of the same weed after curing.

20240629 115420

I don't think you need to worry about amber before harvest. Lol

jdog22

jdog22

hurts reading the comments, seeing the amatures going by eye on pistils hahah
dont go by eye on those long white hairs bro. some strains will go brown than new white pistils shoot through (even when its peak mature)
you need a jewlers loop or something with 60x + microscope. you dont want clear trichomes and your dont want amber. the goal is get as many cloudy as possible.

if youre in the 14th week of flower man thats a really long time to flower. im going in my 7th week and my 6 different strains all look almost ready to pull.

no hate but if you go buy eye of pistils you might as well put the same effort in with feeding and guess nute amounts. haha sorry

M

MyCologist

hurts reading the comments, seeing the amatures going by eye on pistils hahah
dont go by eye on those long white hairs bro. some strains will go brown than new white pistils shoot through (even when its peak mature)
you need a jewlers loop or something with 60x + microscope. you dont want clear trichomes and your dont want amber. the goal is get as many cloudy as possible.

if youre in the 14th week of flower man thats a really long time to flower. im going in my 7th week and my 6 different strains all look almost ready to pull.

no hate but if you go buy eye of pistils you might as well put the same effort in with feeding and guess nute amounts. haha sorry
Did you look at the entire thread? I've posted a bunch of trichome pics with magnification. And I didn't say 14th week of flower, I said 14 weeks old. It's an auto flower that sprouted on March 23rd. Please feel free to look it over and share you thoughts about the question posed!

jdog22

jdog22

Did you look at the entire thread? I've posted a bunch of trichome pics with magnification. And I didn't say 14th week of flower, I said 14 weeks old. It's an auto flower that sprouted on March 23rd. Please feel free to look it over and share you thoughts about the question posed!
yep i did but misred the 14th week part.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

After many runs, I’ve come to conclusion that when you’re in later flower, the overall health of the plant determines just how much more it’s gonna “mature” or “ripen”.
I have to say that you’ve done a remarkable job with an auto. I’ve only grown autos a couple times and went right back to photos.
To me, it looks like your plant is about out of gas…..lots of yellow fans. When I’ve grown plants that yellowed but wasn’t quite textbook ripe, it never did get there. I refused to harvest with lots of white pistils showing and I didn’t have my preferred ratio of amber trichs…..so I waited….and waited.
The plant literally looked almost identical at 16 weeks as it did at 12. Unfortunately, there was a noticeable loss of terps.
IMO, you don’t have the circumstances for much upside. On a positive note, I’ll bet the buds are outstanding as is, provided u dry them correctly.
Good luck

M

MyCologist

yep i did but misred the 14th week part.
If you're going to call the others commenting "amateurs" I'd expect more from you than just a cut-and-paste of a generic strain description. Do you choose to harvest based on the seed banks stated timeline as highlighted in your link?

Top Bottom