Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Like2Grow

Like2Grow

This may not apply up there, but,

I intentionally left a tree that shades off my plants between 4-6ish. Hottest most humid part of the day here. gets in the 90s, near 100 a lot through summer here, and always between 4-6pm. humidity can get into the 80% area because of all the plants heavily transpiring. When that happens, transpiration stops working for a couple hours, and plants just get wet. They literally sweat and drip water right into their own flowers lol. Trees will make you think its about to rain under a cloudless sky sometimes. Just a random drop of water to the face 🤣

one of the few times i grew back here outside as a younger lad that def shouldnt have been growing weed outside, I noticed that my plants getting shaded during that period just had overall less mold, pm, bud rot issues come harvest, and bud development and plant size wasnt really any different. Really it seemed a bit better. I was trying to grow mostly heavy indicas back then though, which is a little bit unwise here i think. I still think my plants appreciate it though, it's something ill probably always try to do for em tbh, at least here where sometimes transpiration makes things worse for you and plants both lmao 💚. When your sweat isn't working, a plant's isn't either lol

I grow in the water line of a spruce. I'm sure the PH is adjusted because of this and I always get big plants when planted there. The larch would be a favored spot to plant for me.

The near 100 degrees is becoming over 100 soon enough and shaded locations make a lot of sense. It may be time to plant another larch !!!

cpurola

cpurola

Does it block the light all the way till dark?or does the shadow pass? Same thing happens to Mine, but not until early September! Then I lose a couple of hours, so rearrange the plans as best I can! Maybe the azimuth Of the sun will change in the course of the next month, and it will cease to be a problem! When you’re looking at the chainsaw, let your conscience be your guide!😁🐒
I think, big picture, it'll be fine. 🫤
That pic would make a good meme. LOL

With the amount of land in full sun an easier solution would be move the garden back 20 feet and still enjoy the shade when wanted. Give the job to a lazy person and you'll find the easiest way. Besides, that's a kick a** larch !!!
Thanks! Originally I wanted a Tamarack like the ones growing alongside I-75 as you drive up north. Nurseryman said they are not good specimen trees and talked me into getting a Larch. Had 6 seedlings and over the course of time one by one they died off until 2 were left.

One got tangled with hubby's antenna (HAM, full wave, 30' in the air) and we hired pro's to take it down. Wouldn't you know they dropped the top directly on the wire and bent both supports. Geesch. So, I guess this one can stay for a little while longer. 🙂

And no, I'm not moving anything. LOL

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Thanks! Originally I wanted a Tamarack like the ones growing alongside I-75 as you drive up north. Nurseryman said they are not good specimen trees and talked me into getting a Larch. Had 6 seedlings and over the course of time one by one they died off until 2 were left.

One got tangled with hubby's antenna (HAM, full wave, 30' in the air) and we hired pro's to take it down. Wouldn't you know they dropped the top directly on the wire and bent both supports. Geesch. So, I guess this one can stay for a little while longer. 🙂

I think it’s great, I woulda chose that spot, I woulda found the hottest part of the day, mark the shadow, plant there especially in super hot climates, basically acts as a temp shade cloth in the hottest part of the day

I would make a great meme though 🤣

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

Damn and here I am with little tiny 18’ CB antenna 🤣

Oh damn are those the guide wires for the antenna? Just looked again to check Out that larch and saw the wires in the skit lol

cpurola

cpurola

Damn and here I am with little tiny 18’ CB antenna 🤣

Oh damn are those the guide wires for the antenna? Just looked again to check Out that larch and saw the wires in the skit lol
Yep, I got the specs from hubby.
264 ft. square, 1.861MHz, 30ft. in the air. He's got 2 wires strung but only 1 works well.
(3 pieces of conduit telescoping inside each other) (scares me to death when he's on the ladder raising them up or down)
with 2 guide poles for each corner.

One reason we're on acreage and not in a sub with associations and rules. 😁

cpurola

cpurola

Transplanted the last of the Autos, Granddaddy Purple from ILGM.
They had a buy 10 get 10 for $129 includes shipping. Got them, put them in seed starting mix and 1 was slow so I put another seed in and voila the first one appeared. 🫤 Now I'll have 2 in one pot. Not ideal but I used all my seed starting mix and potting soil. That's it for this year. Really. 😉

The others are doing well too. Must be all this unusually warm weather this year.

20240618 150023

20240618 150154

20240618 150218

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Transplanted the last of the Autos, Granddaddy Purple from ILGM.
They had a buy 10 get 10 for $129 includes shipping. Got them, put them in seed starting mix and 1 was slow so I put another seed in and voila the first one appeared. 🫤 Now I'll have 2 in one pot. Not ideal but I used all my seed starting mix and potting soil. That's it for this year. Really. 😉

The others are doing well too. Must be all this unusually warm weather this year.

I started 3 Lucky13 plants for my sister and went to visit yesterday. The plants are in clay soil which she didn't amend much. I staked and spread out the branches but I had to use a spike and hammer to loosen the ground to get a bamboo stake in. The plants are short (stunted). One of the plants is a Lebanese Hashplant (LH) that is a special order from Lucky13. I have to plant a couple of those at my place next year. The LH is stacking up in spite of where it is growing and making resin already. Beautiful plant.

I kept the smaller Blood Milk and Sky at my place and she is 54 inches tall (measured). Clay BMS at my sisters place is estimated at 36 inches and in flower as is the hashplant.

The Granddaddy Ultraviolet at my place was a canopy of big leaves and a second set growing close to the ground. I separated the stalks with bamboo stakes and used knitting yarn to tie branches to the stakes and now leaves are developing all up and down the stalk. That will translate into many more bud sites. Staking the plants makes a huge difference to some strains. The Ultraviolet has the very early Frostberry as part of it's genetics but it isn't showing up in the GDP Ultraviolet I'm growing or at my sisters place. I hope it starts blooming soon.

cpurola

cpurola

I started 3 Lucky13 plants for my sister and went to visit yesterday. The plants are in clay soil which she didn't amend much. I staked and spread out the branches but I had to use a spike and hammer to loosen the ground to get a bamboo stake in. The plants are short (stunted). One of the plants is a Lebanese Hashplant (LH) that is a special order from Lucky13. I have to plant a couple of those at my place next year. The LH is stacking up in spite of where it is growing and making resin already. Beautiful plant.

I kept the smaller Blood Milk and Sky at my place and she is 54 inches tall (measured). Clay BMS at my sisters place is estimated at 36 inches and in flower as is the hashplant.

The Granddaddy Ultraviolet at my place was a canopy of big leaves and a second set growing close to the ground. I separated the stalks with bamboo stakes and used knitting yarn to tie branches to the stakes and now leaves are developing all up and down the stalk. That will translate into many more bud sites. Staking the plants makes a huge difference to some strains. The Ultraviolet has the very early Frostberry as part of it's genetics but it isn't showing up in the GDP Ultraviolet I'm growing or at my sisters place. I hope it starts blooming soon.
Sounds like they're all doing well. Yes, my 'extras' in the sod part are not doing as well as the planter boxes. I thought it was the dirt until I fertilized them. 3-4 days later the leaves are a darker green and a couple have put on a growth spurt.
Is your sister fertilizing her's?

Last edited:
Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Sounds like they're all doing well. Yes, my 'extras' in the sod part are not doing as well as the planter boxes. I thought it was the dirt until I fertilized them. 3-4 days later the leaves are a darker green and a couple have put on a growth spurt.
Is your sister fertilizing her's?
She isn't fertilizing but they are a nice healthy green any ways. They got some manure while planting which is helping a lot I'm sure. Pics are from my garden.

Left: Granddaddy Purple Ultraviolet
Right: Blood Milk and Sky

DSC02219a

Blood Milk and Sky branch

DSC02220a

cpurola

cpurola

She isn't fertilizing but they are a nice healthy green any ways. They got some manure while planting which is helping a lot I'm sure. Pics are from my garden.

Left: Granddaddy Purple Ultraviolet
Right: Blood Milk and Sky

View attachment 2196878

Blood Milk and Sky branch

View attachment 2196879
Yep, your BMS looks like mine, both starting to flower. So, if they're flowering now, when do you figure we'll be harvesting?
(Have to make sure my social calendar is free.) 😉

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

I didn't know you grew Christmas trees😂 You're gonna get a long sentence in trim jail😉
Blood, Milk and Sky. She's as tall as me 5' and flowering.

View attachment 2196912
View attachment 2196913

Okanagan Grape is 4' and flowering too.
View attachment 2196914
View attachment 2196915

And look who was on the top.
View attachment 2196920
If the plant is starting to genuinely go into flower.. In mid to late june, when its already been outside growing under changing hours for a bit.

100% there is autoflowering genes in the plant. It's not possible there isnt.

But... Ive had plants that start to look like this when still vegging, and will stay there if you dont change light hours when inside. My columbian land race looked like it was a week into 12/12 at all times, even under 24hrs light, and calyxes would begin stacking within 3-4 days of the 12/12 flip, and it was STILL a 14+ week strain lol. My mystery sativa is covered in growth like this, as well as full sized calyxes and pistils. It's totally ready to flower, and it wants to. But it probably wont start actually stacking calyxes on top of each other til the end of next month. It just wants that to be rn. It is definitely growing in a manner intentionally to support flower growth now, rather then expand out more like a vegging plant. But its definitely still a vegging plant, at least in my case. HAd i not cut away more then half of the plant to make room for the others, it's newest growth i imagine would look a lot like these ones rn lol.

Last edited:
Galgrows

Galgrows

Blood, Milk and Sky. She's as tall as me 5' and flowering.

View attachment 2196912
View attachment 2196913

Okanagan Grape is 4' and flowering too.
View attachment 2196914
View attachment 2196915

And look who was on the top.
View attachment 2196920
Well well look who came to the all you can eat buffet🥹 i just love squishing those little devils. Your plants look so good out there and loving the care. I'm paying attention to my blueberry muffins and they do appear to be stacking near the tops, it's fine with me. I'll take early Sept. for a chop down. Mine are also only about 3-4ft. i love it so far.

cpurola

cpurola

Well well look who came to the all you can eat buffet🥹 i just love squishing those little devils. Your plants look so good out there and loving the care. I'm paying attention to my blueberry muffins and they do appear to be stacking near the tops, it's fine with me. I'll take early Sept. for a chop down. Mine are also only about 3-4ft. i love it so far.
Yep, I squished him/her/it. LOL
Okay, I need to ask, as an indoor long time grower, how would one reliably start and raise photos to flower early when transplanted outside, but not too early?
You know, what we're experiencing right now.

Beazy

Beazy

Never done it but I would think if ya grew them under 24 hrs of light and put them outside about now they should start flower and keep going as the days start getting shorter
Okay, I need to ask, as an indoor long time grower, how would one reliably start and raise photos to flower early when transplanted outside, but not too early?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
That is the holy grail! If you figure that out, you will be nominated for the Nobel prize for botany! 😁🐒

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Keep them indoors at 18-6 and put 'em outside anytime and it'd be just like an indoor flip. I keep mine at 15-9 in a greenhouse (just standard 9 Watt LED's) so as not to garner too much attention but anytime I want to flip a vegging plant I just move 'em outside. I've done it in winter here.

Tomorrow, on June 20th our daylight will be 14 hours and 18 minutes, sumer solstice, longest day of the year for those of us above the equator, so as long as I keep enough extra light they'll continue to vegg and I can flip them whenever I want. You'll no doubt be seeing and reading about it. I can stagger out harvests and breed on my timetable😉

Top Bottom