Tired of trainwrecking other peoples threads? Well then, come party at the captains! Trainwreck this thread with…….trains? Anything goes here……….

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

FB IMG 1719585866964
FB IMG 1719585811436
FB IMG 1719578568232
FB IMG 1719580951881
FB IMG 1719580611700

JaBy

JaBy

One of the buckets I'm using has some old dry water based paint chips in it. The paint was about as toxic as Elmer's glue though lol. Most pains nowadays are pretty benign.

I've even seen a couple of the chips flake off and end up on the soil above my outdoor plants.

But I'm also not too worried about it and I'm pretty much going to be the only one smoking that flower, so. Oh well lmao.

Yeah for a very long time I was exclusively vegging under t5 and flowering under HPS. Before i temporarily retired only had a handful of runs under LED panels.
it wouldn't have been my choice but if you are the one smoking it then it's your call. personally i wouldn't use anything that still had remnants of the containers original contents unless maybe a food product container. even that i would try to clean out as much as possible.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

it wouldn't have been my choice but if you are the one smoking it then it's your call. personally i wouldn't use anything that still had remnants of the containers original contents unless maybe a food product container. even that i would try to clean out as much as possible.
There's lots of food products that are way worse for your health than Elmer's glue and modern water-based white paint
🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I definitely cleaned everything out that would scrape off the sides of it. We've also been using it all spring, and every now and then there's a little paint chip floating in the water.

And then there it resides on the surface of the soil. The only thing that modern, child safe water-based white paints really going to do to a plant is give it some calcium lol.

I got way more of that paint in my system when I painted the house then I ever will using that bucket for water on plants. Orders and orders of magnitude more lol

Don't get me wrong though, I definitely do not advocate using a bucket full of paint chips to water your plant. Just a humorous example lol

----------------------

Man... Today was probably the last time I let someone under 40 tag along with me to do carpentry work just because they said they know what they're doing... Could have been done an hour ago if I was by myself 🤣

JaBy

JaBy

originally my intent was to use a somewhat hybrid approach to lighting. was intending to end up with 5 gallon buckets in order to facilitate mobility. wanted to move the plants into direct sunlight during the day and bring them in under the grow lights to expand the light cycle. after a month and numerous indications of how unpleasant the people i was renting from were i decided to flower early. was a very good move as i will now be moving with hopefully some fine smoking bud but i had really liked the idea of using the sun for most of the lighting and having them out in the open air i figured would have been good for stem/stalk strength. at least they got a month of direct sunlight. i don't see how any artificial light could ever be better than the sun.

JaBy

JaBy

There's lots of food products that are way worse for your health than Elmer's glue and modern water-based white paint
🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I definitely cleaned everything out that would scrape off the sides of it. We've also been using it all spring, and every now and then there's a little paint chip floating in the water.

And then there it resides on the surface of the soil. The only thing that modern, child safe water-based white paints really going to do to a plant is give it some calcium lol.

I got way more of that paint in my system when I painted the house then I ever will using that bucket for water on plants. Orders and orders of magnitude more lol

Don't get me wrong though, I definitely do not advocate using a bucket full of paint chips to water your plant. Just a humorous example lol

----------------------

Man... Today was probably the last time I let someone under 40 tag along with me to do carpentry work just because they said they know what they're doing... Could have been done an hour ago if I was by myself 🤣
i can't argue with that.... in fact i'm pretty sure tofu is radioactive and will give your boils sepsis. actually the only food i think won't kill you is brownies, especially the ones with the walnuts in em...... 🤔 🫥👻😻

not sure but i think in some countries, elmers glue is considered a food product..🧐

Last edited:
Azton

Azton

I happened upon former parking lot from a campus, light foundation fixtures intact. Nice well hps fixtures all ready for the dump. They looked like they were never used.
Here state stash is the best shit, always. Top quality everything. I still have wool socks I stole in the army 30 years ago.

I worked for our commune for a while. In a semi communism everybody steals as much as they can carry, lol, but they hardly get payed. Hardly covers your expenses. But shit I had a ton of extension cords and drillbits and cutting wheels and stuff like that.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

are the hps and halide lights used for parking lots the same product as the ones used for growing?
They can be. Back in the late 70's I got a couple 250W freebies from a parking lot and set up a closet. You can't believe the heat they generated. A/C pretty much 24/7 in the room for much of the year. Grew great bag seed.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

i can't argue with that.... in fact i'm pretty sure tofu is radioactive and will give your boils sepsis. actually the only food i think won't kill you is brownies, especially the ones with the walnuts in em...... 🤔 🫥👻😻

not sure but i think in some countries, elmers glue is considered a food product..🧐
yea its completely safe to eat believe it or not.

And yes, its considered a food grade product, even in the USA lol. It genuinely safer for your body to consume then doritos and Pepsi are lmao. So are most modern water based white paints 🤣 they are indeed, often, technically food safe products by material composition lol.

JaBy

JaBy

They can be. Back in the late 70's I got a couple 250W freebies from a parking lot and set up a closet. You can't believe the heat they generated. A/C pretty much 24/7 in the room for much of the year. Grew great bag seed.
yeah i used 1000 watt halides and hps ages ago but they were intended for growing plants. was never sure if the light spectrum was any different from the ones i saw in commercial lighting. they did throw off a lot of heat. i used a real big area for my grow space and a good ducted fan powered air replacement system. used supplemental co2 as well but have my doubts whether the extra co2 was of any benefit though.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Squirrels are causing more damage.
20240628 101839
20240628 080714
20240628 084731

Bastards ate a sunflower plant
20240628 110006

I can't find any of the rest of it. Everything but the root ball and an inch or so of stem.

My last try at humanly ridding the rodents before I take lethal action, vinegar soaked rags.
20240628 110140

It has been working on mice/rats and rabbits the past couple years.

If I have to buy a $200+ pellet gun I will🎯

While taking the above pics look who fluttered by and took a break on s plant.
20240628 110056
No doubt looking for a spot to lay eggs. It never ends.

20240628 080708
Last edited:
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

yeah i used 1000 watt halides and hps ages ago but they were intended for growing plants. was never sure if the light spectrum was any different from the ones i saw in commercial lighting. they did throw off a lot of heat. i used a real big area for my grow space and a good ducted fan powered air replacement system. used supplemental co2 as well but have my doubts whether the extra co2 was of any benefit though.
I don't know if they were much different from those designed for growing, these were designed to light up a parking lot. A large 2 sliding door closet was too small for one let alone two🤣 That light was intense but it grew bud pretty well and I was able to go from stealth outdoor backyard growing a couple plants to half a dozen plants in 5 gallon pots inside.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

What do you guys think of OG Kush as a mother to someone growing under LEDs for the first time? Never grown this strain before. How does it like LEDs? Is it a good strain for SOG?
the LED thing isnt quite that simple. My peaceeblasters inherited the distatse from a land race.

99/100 plants arent going to perform any differently under LED then another form of adequate grow lighting.

Its definitely not an issue big enough to really concenr yourself with unless you happen to end up with a plant that doesnt like em. And LED's are so efficient with ppfd output, even if you had a sensitive one and had to back the light off a ways, chances are your results will still be more then acceptable by most standards, your plants may just be slightly longer then they would have been otherwise. Theyll perform just fine.

Ive just become obsessed with the mechanism of action that causes that sensitivity, as my light meters explain nothing, they make the confusion worse actually. My peaceblastes can burn at 1000ppfd under an LED, but eat up 1600+ under mid day high elevation sun or HPS like it's free beer and hot wings. They can take more lumens, and more ppfd both from HPS and sunlight then LED panels. That doesnt make any sense with the only ways we have to measure light though.

Theres a lot going on with plants and lights we still dont understand, nor have any ways to measure. Its not going to really cause you major problems though. Its just a weird curiosity more then anything.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

i switched between hortilux, cheap ebay bulbs, vivosun, and others over the years, and after a bit i didnt care what bulb i was using, as long as it was relatively fresh. They all perform so close together, differences could have just been the margin for error easily.

The hortilux bulbs definitely made it a cycle or two longer before my ppfd/lumen meter started letting me know its time to change, not enough to warrant 3x the price though. I mostly used vivosun/ac infinity/phillips bulbs last few years of hps. The hortilux did have higher ppfd values too, but comparable to about 3 inches closer to the bulb on crappy unbranded chinese bulbs, and maybe half that compared to vivosun bulbs. Thats not enough to even noticeably change your spread with a 1kw bulb. They sit like 36 inches above the canopy lol. For the first couple grow cycles, you will not notice any difference in performance at all between HPS bulb types ime, even the crappy chinese unbranded ones, and phillips bulbs intended for parking lot lights. The difference is their deterioration with age, and whether or not the price point reflects value in such context or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom