Looking for a great LED

• Thread starter kenney
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stokes

Stokes

Im not trying to sound like a snob, i use a mars, but i think that my definition of ‘great’ is a lot different than some.

‘Great’ to me is like top of the line. Is the op looking for a Ford Festiva, Honda Accord, or a BMW i8?

Lots of Honda Accords in here

F

Farmville

Mars hydro is a good brand for an even canopy of light using their bar style light The fce series is cheaper but the lights are on par performance wise with their more expensive fc line up

Stokes

Stokes

Mars hydro is a good brand for an even canopy of light using their bar style light
I like my mars and theyre great value. But the quality ive seen in that uva/uvb light i got from mammoth is truly on a whole different level. I could only imagine what a $1k rig would be like.

And im by no means an expert in lighting, but i do manufacture parts that are in orbit right now, so i am familiar with quality of manufacture and tolerances

F

Farmville

I like my mars and theyre great value. But the quality ive seen in that uva/uvb light i got from mammoth is truly on a whole different level. I could only imagine what a $1k rig would be like.

And im by no means an expert in lighting, but i do manufacture parts that are in orbit right now, so i am familiar with quality of manufacture and tolerances
I would just get a mygrow uva uvb to pair with it

cobblestoner

cobblestoner

use whatever you want. this is a pretty simple thread when it comes down to it jezuuzuzuz fuck what was going on here

Putthataway

Putthataway

Im not trying to sound like a snob, i use a mars, but i think that my definition of ‘great’ is a lot different than some.

‘Great’ to me is like top of the line. Is the op looking for a Ford Festiva, Honda Accord, or a BMW i8?

Lots of Honda Accords in here
A Honda Accord will outlast the hunk of shit bmw, any generation. Not to mention the i8 is ugly. Just saying. 😁 Mars is like a ev a fire waiting to happen

Stokes

Stokes

well then why sit here and tell em he NEEEEEEDS some fuckin light. haha
A Honda Accord will outlast the hunk of shit bmw, any generation. Not to mention the i8 is ugly. Just saying. 😁 Mars is like a ev a fire waiting to happen

Not gonna argue your preference in cars lol (i prefer Volvo)but the quality you get from Mars =/= the quality of a Mammoth. Everyone focuses on diodes, they are important, but there is much more to that when it comes to manufacturing boards. Solder type/quality, epoxies, metal qualities/specs, QC etc

Besides all that the workers manufacturing the boards with the companies i mentioned has probably been soldering longer than the 11 year olds in chinese factories have been alive lol

PooToe

PooToe

Not gonna argue your preference in cars lol (i prefer Volvo)but the quality you get from Mars =/= the quality of a Mammoth. Everyone focuses on diodes, they are important, but there is much more to that when it comes to manufacturing boards. Solder type/quality, epoxies, metal qualities/specs, QC etc

Besides all that the workers manufacturing the boards with the companies i mentioned has probably been soldering longer than the 11 year olds in chinese factories have been alive lol
You'd be surprised at how good an eleven year old chinese factory worker can solder.

I agree. Component quality along with build dynamics are highly important to the end product. The grow light company I mentioned has been manufacturing grow lights for more than 40 years. Most of the grow light companies nowadays use LM301 based diodes on their mid to higher end lines.

In my own anectdotal experience they are one of the most undervalued grow light companies out there. I've been using them for years without issue. I still have one of their old double chip blurples and none of the diodes are burned out and the cooling fans are working fine. I think I've had that light since 2010.

My guess as to why they aren't more well regarded in the community is that they don't do sponsorships or big hype campaigns as their core customer are commercial ops. Retail is a secondary market for them but they use the technology they have in their commercial lighting and transfer much of it to their retail lighting.

I've bought or grown under most of the name brands mentioned and have not noticed any real difference in performance overall. Most all the lighting companies offer more or less the same light spectrum. The only real difference is in how the grower utilizes the light the fixture produces. It's why I don't buy by brand.
I will say that I won a light from ViparSpectra in a raffle that I really like for the light spread and the power it puts out for such a small package. It uses the silicone coated boards for better water/vapor protection of the diodes. The light spread that they designed is also excellent. I wish everything but their high end stuff had the same design and component quality. That would be the only reason for me switching from Bestva to them. Better light spread. Other than that I can say that Bestva has performed the best for the price for me.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
You don't believe they're hand soldered, do you? Most likely they're soldered by robotic machines on an assembly line.

Stokes

Stokes

You don't believe they're hand soldered, do you? Most likely they're soldered by robotic machines on an assembly line.

Maybe in the mass produced factories in china. That would explain alot of the quality issues lol. I doubt that even companies like spider farmer and mars have that kind of automated technology. I mean they might be able to do technologically but that shit costs money and loads of hours in R&D to work out the kinks. I doubt anyone other than samsung/sony has the ability to do that on a large scale. The volume just isnt there for grow lights could be wrong. odds are that most of the value brands are made in the exact same factory. I highly doubt that US manufacturers have fully automated. There is a whole lot to that.

Do you have any experience with electronic component manufacturing or repair? I figured you were a barista

Last edited:
Stokes

Stokes

You'd be surprised at how good an eleven year old chinese factory worker can solder.

I agree. Component quality along with build dynamics are highly important to the end product. The grow light company I mentioned has been manufacturing grow lights for more than 40 years. Most of the grow light companies nowadays use LM301 based diodes on their mid to higher end lines.

In my own anectdotal experience they are one of the most undervalued grow light companies out there. I've been using them for years without issue. I still have one of their old double chip blurples and none of the diodes are burned out and the cooling fans are working fine. I think I've had that light since 2010.

My guess as to why they aren't more well regarded in the community is that they don't do sponsorships or big hype campaigns as their core customer are commercial ops. Retail is a secondary market for them but they use the technology they have in their commercial lighting and transfer much of it to their retail lighting.

I've bought or grown under most of the name brands mentioned and have not noticed any real difference in performance overall. Most all the lighting companies offer more or less the same light spectrum. The only real difference is in how the grower utilizes the light the fixture produces. It's why I don't buy by brand.
I will say that I won a light from ViparSpectra in a raffle that I really like for the light spread and the power it puts out for such a small package. It uses the silicone coated boards for better water/vapor protection of the diodes. The light spread that they designed is also excellent. I wish everything but their high end stuff had the same design and component quality. That would be the only reason for me switching from Bestva to them. Better light spread. Other than that I can say that Bestva has performed the best for the price for me.

The most glaring issue regarding LED’s is performance and efficiency over time. Thats where the quality of materials and best practices come into play. The samsung diodes in the value brands come at the expense of virtually everything else. Thats the problem

lenhug

lenhug

Supporter
Another vote for Mammoth here, I did a similar search a few months back and that's where I ended up.

Lots of good suggestions in here also though. Do your research, take on suggestions (and feedback) and make your choice.

mobshit

mobshit

get the most affordable samsung lm301, your skill in the garden will get you further than spending for high end names. Make sure it has a dimmer and you're straight. There is more things crucial that will give you a better yield than lighting brand.

odirt

odirt

Man king rite for the win , I go with the 240 watt board with delayed driver so u can space then yourself. I put 2 of them over a 4x4 and it kills it every time. 480 watts then just recently added 30 watt uv down the middle. Have 30 watt ir also for Emerson affect. Getting 1.5 or better a watt no co2 coco 7g 1 plant a square.

odirt

odirt

Sorry my spell check is off lol. Kingbrite and separate drivers on each 240 so can split the 120 boards.

P

Phil.D.

I have an AC Infinity 730w (full spectrum) in my 5x5. It’s been flawless…. I don’t turn it up very high. Highest I’ve been is 80%. I am no expert..that is for sure, but AC Infinity stands behind their products at a very high level. They also understand that you are growing and they move fast if you need something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom