Please help me save these!!!

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I am pretty sure those damn cups are the main issue causing oxygen/water issues. I tried them with my veg starts one year and hated them. I see a consistantly over watered plant but I am no pro either 🤷‍♀️
She's getting rid of the cups when she can. That should help. She'll be able to see if the soil is too wet or too dry when she transplants them. My guess is the soil might be too wet in some spots and too dry in others. I'm thinking the pots are to blame.

TreeBee

TreeBee

She's getting rid of the cups when she can. That should help. She'll be able to see if the soil is too wet or too dry when she transplants them. My guess is the soil might be too wet in some spots and too dry in others. I'm thinking the pots are to blame.
The roots do try and partly succeed at growing into those pots if left long enough making getting things out of them even harder. They are the worst.

Rooke

Rooke

I truly believe that they use some type of binding agent to hold them together so they don’t fall apart when they’re saturated ie: glue that’s what you see on your soil not mold . Wifey tried to get some herbs started in egg cartons and after a while they turned greyish at the top of the soil my guess is it’s some sort of glue used to keep them from falling apart my .02 cents not trying to be rude at all peace yall!

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

UPDATE! :)

I could not wait any longer.... it was killing me to see them like that.

The peat pots tore apart very easy. I noticed that some of the roots of the plants were growing into the sides of the pots. I wonder if some of the tips were outside the pot altogether. I had to tear some off the pot itself. :(

I also removed most of the old soil. I left enough so not to expose the root fully. The watermelon barely has a root system. The royal purple was much better.

The soil toward the bottom was a little dry. Then again I did not give a lot of water today knowing I was going to transplant.

I mixed happy frog and ocean forest together in equal parts. I noticed that the ocean forest is much deeper in color. I added a handful of perlite to the mixture then mixed well. I did give them a good watering straight off. Lights raised to 21 inches from the highest top. Now to watch and wait. I will keep a tight monitoring of the temp and humidity as well.

Here are some photos.

20240610 102835
20240610 102043
20240610 101840
20240610 102830
20240610 102826
H

HeadHunterpipes

Happy frog and Ocean forest is considered soil-less because it doesnt have dirt earth or actual soil as in top soil.
Read the back the bags...
both bags are pretty much Organic matter, and mostly compost. which wicks up water and holds it like sponge .
And both are known for being Hot as in to much nutrients for the plant and terrible drainage known for over watering problems

Tone the potting soil down and give some drainage .
1 st choice is Mix 40% top soil sand pea gravel and or perlite OR Add 30% perlite ...

Your little plant looks nutrient burned and over watered ...

C

climbit

Happy frog and Ocean forest is considered soil-less because it doesnt have dirt earth or actual soil as in top soil.
both bags are pretty much Organic matter, and mostly compost. which wicks up water and holds it like sponge .
And both are known for being Hot as in to much nutrients for the plant and terrible drainage known for over watering problems

1 st choice is Mix 40% top soil sand pea gravel and or perlite OR Add 30% perlite ...

The ocean forest has sandy loam. Which is sand/silt/clay.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

no such thing as hot soil

H

HeadHunterpipes

no such thing as hot soil
I just googled it Guess what ,,, yes there is
Hot soil can cause your plants to become dehydrated and struggle for survival. If you notice your plants are wilting or changing color, your substrate might be part of the issue. Heat stress can limit your plants’ ability to grow and develop, which might even cause their death.

https://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/growing/hot-soil/

What is Hot Soil and How to Fix It​

Updated: 17 February 2024Spenserhttps://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/wp-content/litespeed/avatar/5eac58c94fe2f702222385cef5d155fa.jpg?ver=1714645900
5 min. read
Comments: none
https://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Banner-hot-soil.jpg
Hot soil is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot in the cannabis community, but what does it mean? It does not refer to the temperature or the visual beauty of your medium. Instead, hot soil references an excess of nutrients and additives. This excess can create a range of different problems with your crop. Unfortunately, hot soil is a very common problem that beginners run into. So, let’s learn why soil can easily become hot and how you can fix it!

1. What is hot soil?
  2. What happens to cannabis plants when they’re overfed?
  3. How to fix hot soil
  4. The opposite of hot soil is kind soil?
    • Conclusion

What is hot soil?​

Hot soil refers to soil that is overly amended or fertilized, causing a variety of issues in one’s garden. Many beginners run into this problem because they are overzealous and end up giving their plants more fertilizer than they can metabolize; this phenomenon is also called “nutrient or ‘nute’ burn.” This can be caused by over-amending soil or feeding liquid fertilizers at too high of a concentration. You won’t be able to tell if the soil is hot by looking at it or feeling it, you will have to read your plants and look for symptoms that indicate the soil is too enriched for them.

GROW BIBLE
  • Grow with my Quick Start Guide
  • Discover secrets to big yields
  • Avoid common grow mistakes

FREE DOWNLOAD (PDF)

What happens to cannabis plants when they’re overfed?​

Cannabis plants will show signs of being overfed rather fast. Tip burn is the first sign that the medium is too hot for them. This visual symptom displays on the tips of the plant’s leaves. The tips will turn a yellow or brown color depending on the severity.
https://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/burned-tips-1.jpgBurned tips on a marijuana leaf
Another symptom of hot soil is seeing signs of nutrient deficiencies in your plants. It might seem counterintuitive that soil with too many nutrients will cause nutrient deficiencies, but it’s possible due to lockout. When there is too much of a certain nutrient, it prevents your plants from metabolizing other nutrients. An example of this would be an excess of calcium causing phosphorus-like deficiencies such as purpling of stems and yellow and brown spots on leaves.
There are many signs that your soil is too hot, and recognizing them is important. However, knowing how to fix it is equally as important.

How to fix hot soil​

Fixing hot soil is relatively easy and should be done as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your plants. The easiest option is to water your plants heavily to wash the excess nutrients out of your medium. You should water till a large amount of runoff has bled out the bottom of your pot. Doing this type of flush weekly can help prevent the possibility of your soil becoming too hot, especially if you are using salt-based fertilizer.
If flushing with straight water isn’t solving the issue, try using different products that can aid in flushing the nutrients out. A simple product every grower should have is some kind of yucca extract. Yucca will make your water “wetter” to flush your medium out more efficiently and add other beneficial hormones to your plants.
Products containing enzymes will also help make your soil less hot because they will help break down nutrients and allow them to be flushed out of the medium. A more severe case of hot soil may require a more serious product, such as hypochlorous acid, to remove the excess nutrients.
https://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Wetting-Agent-2.jpgA gallon bottle of Yucca extract
The best strategy to fix hot soil is being proactive and taking steps to prevent your soil from becoming too hot. Weekly flushes with plain water are a good insurance policy to prevent excess nutrients from building up. If you are using bottled nutrients, especially salt-based, use only the lowest recommended dilution rates at first to see how your plants respond. After that, slowly increase the concentration till you find the sweet spot.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I just googled it Guess what ,,, yes there is
Hot soil can cause your plants to become dehydrated and struggle for survival. If you notice your plants are wilting or changing color, your substrate might be part of the issue. Heat stress can limit your plants’ ability to grow and develop, which might even cause their death.

What is Hot Soil and How to Fix It​

Updated: 17 February 2024Spenser

5 min. read
Comments: none
hot soil in a cannabis pot

Hot soil is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot in the cannabis community, but what does it mean? It does not refer to the temperature or the visual beauty of your medium. Instead, hot soil references an excess of nutrients and additives. This excess can create a range of different problems with your crop. Unfortunately, hot soil is a very common problem that beginners run into. So, let’s learn why soil can easily become hot and how you can fix it!

1. What is hot soil?
  2. What happens to cannabis plants when they’re overfed?
  3. How to fix hot soil
  4. The opposite of hot soil is kind soil?

What is hot soil?​

Hot soil refers to soil that is overly amended or fertilized, causing a variety of issues in one’s garden. Many beginners run into this problem because they are overzealous and end up giving their plants more fertilizer than they can metabolize; this phenomenon is also called “nutrient or ‘nute’ burn.” This can be caused by over-amending soil or feeding liquid fertilizers at too high of a concentration. You won’t be able to tell if the soil is hot by looking at it or feeling it, you will have to read your plants and look for symptoms that indicate the soil is too enriched for them.

GROW BIBLE
  • Grow with my Quick Start Guide
  • Discover secrets to big yields
  • Avoid common grow mistakes

FREE DOWNLOAD (PDF)

What happens to cannabis plants when they’re overfed?​

Cannabis plants will show signs of being overfed rather fast. Tip burn is the first sign that the medium is too hot for them. This visual symptom displays on the tips of the plant’s leaves. The tips will turn a yellow or brown color depending on the severity.
Burned tips on a marijuana leaf
Burned tips on a marijuana leaf
Another symptom of hot soil is seeing signs of nutrient deficiencies in your plants. It might seem counterintuitive that soil with too many nutrients will cause nutrient deficiencies, but it’s possible due to lockout. When there is too much of a certain nutrient, it prevents your plants from metabolizing other nutrients. An example of this would be an excess of calcium causing phosphorus-like deficiencies such as purpling of stems and yellow and brown spots on leaves.
There are many signs that your soil is too hot, and recognizing them is important. However, knowing how to fix it is equally as important.

How to fix hot soil​

Fixing hot soil is relatively easy and should be done as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your plants. The easiest option is to water your plants heavily to wash the excess nutrients out of your medium. You should water till a large amount of runoff has bled out the bottom of your pot. Doing this type of flush weekly can help prevent the possibility of your soil becoming too hot, especially if you are using salt-based fertilizer.
If flushing with straight water isn’t solving the issue, try using different products that can aid in flushing the nutrients out. A simple product every grower should have is some kind of yucca extract. Yucca will make your water “wetter” to flush your medium out more efficiently and add other beneficial hormones to your plants.
Products containing enzymes will also help make your soil less hot because they will help break down nutrients and allow them to be flushed out of the medium. A more severe case of hot soil may require a more serious product, such as hypochlorous acid, to remove the excess nutrients.
Yucca extract in bottled form
A gallon bottle of Yucca extract
The best strategy to fix hot soil is being proactive and taking steps to prevent your soil from becoming too hot. Weekly flushes with plain water are a good insurance policy to prevent excess nutrients from building up. If you are using bottled nutrients, especially salt-based, use only the lowest recommended dilution rates at first to see how your plants respond. After that, slowly increase the concentration till you find the sweet spot.
yep sure thing buddy,..
geezus🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

Sunin

Sunin

Is that clay? clay is not the best choice of pot for weed. stays much cooler, slows growth in root area a bit, causes spiralling.
But maybe with your higher temps that will suit them for now, who knows.
Turn the humidifier spout other way so it won't spit in direction of plants, other than that that looks like much more friendly for seedlings environment 🫶
Now all that's left is wait I guess 🤟

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
that guy is totally delusional

Lol yeah he is

There's another thread where we went back and forth about T5 bulbs, T5 is only a CFL he said but obviously they make T5 LED but no matter the proof I showed, he was still right lol.
yes i did watch that thread haha,.
like fox farm or whoever is gonna sell “hot soil” hahaha,. it’s human error to water too frequently with some of these soils causing more nutrients to be released, causing at worst nutrient burn,. if the overwatering doesn’t get them first,..
you purposely over feed your plants it’s not called hot soil it’s human error,.
there is no such thing as hot soil and because you find it on the internet doesn’t mean shit, and at that it’s usually just in other threads and blogs, i find wrong information on a lot of very popular sites all the time,..

Top Bottom