Please help me save these!!!

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

If the roots are kept dark inside colored solo cups. I like that method. It certainly is helpful to be able to see how the roots are developing.
I am going to try this on the next grow. I do not get paid till Friday. Tight budget. I over spent on nutrients then needed to buy a humidifier. UG!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
In my experience, with seedlings of that size, when they’re too dry, the stems will fold up first! I think they’re too wet! To dry and they want to lay down! This kind of shit happens when you get cute and don’t just use red solo cups, and HF. And may be a little perlite.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

In my experience, with seedlings of that size, when they’re too dry, the stems will fold up first! I think they’re too wet! To dry and they want to lay down! This kind of shit happens when you get cute and don’t just use red solo cups, and HF. And may be a little perlite.
They perk up with a good watering. But the leaves get more yellow in them. That is HF soil. ;)

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
No, I have no idea what the VPD is.
Knowing the VPD isn't necessary. It's just helpful.

Young plants should have a VPD in the 0.8 to 1.0 range. Yours peaked at about 1.8, which is too high even for mature plants. A symptom of high VPD is dry leaf tips. That happens because the plant can't keep the whole leaf moist.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Knowing the VPD isn't necessary. It's just helpful.

Young plants should have a VPD in the 0.8 to 1.0 range. Yours peaked at about 1.8, which is too high even for mature plants. A symptom of high VPD is dry leaf tips. That happens because the plant can't keep the whole leaf moist.
Will raising the light help this? Getting higher humidity might be a problem, this little humidifier is good but it does seem to have a cap on it's output in this tent. Meaning I cannot get the humidity over 60% I believe. Hard to get it to 55% what it is set to.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
They perk up with a good watering. But the leaves get more yellow in them. That is HF soil. ;)
I think that might be because the roots are starved for oxygen from being immersed in water. I've also seen leaves turn yellow when the plant was watered. My solution has been to water very slowly. That gives the soil time to absorb the water. If you have dry, hydrophobic soil -- like a dry sponge -- it will need to be moistened thoroughly before it can absorb water in a way that's best for the plant. That takes time.

C

climbit

It looks to me like the problem is with the soil and/or those cups, so I would be tempted to remove them from those pots and put them in nursery cups or solo cups. I once removed all the soil from some seedlings that were having trouble. There was nothing left but bare roots. Then I put them in different soil that I thought might be better soil. It was, apparently, because the plants grew well after that.
I’ve heard these type of pots hold on to moisture as well. Perhaps exacerbating the issue further.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Will raising the light help this? Getting higher humidity might be a problem, this little humidifier is good but it does seem to have a cap on it's output in this tent. Meaning I cannot get the humidity over 60% I believe. Hard to get it to 55% what it is set to.
Raising the light might help. Humidity decreases as the temperature increases, and vice versa.

Are you running an exhaust fan?

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

I think that might be because the roots are starved for oxygen from being immersed in water. I've also seen leaves turn yellow when the plant was watered. My solution has been to water very slowly. That gives the soil time to absorb the water. If you have dry, hydrophobic soil -- like a dry sponge -- it will need to be moistened thoroughly before it can absorb water in a way that's best for the plant. That takes time.

I have a spray bottle. I spray the soil lightly and let it soak in gradual. Otherwise the water will just roll off the top.

Raising the light might help. Humidity decreases as the temperature increases, and vice versa.

Are you running an exhaust fan?
Yes, 4" fan.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I would add a little bit of water, maybe a few tablespoons every half hour or so for several hours. That should allow the water to disperse in the soil. I also like the idea of bottom watering for the same reason. I'm thinking we need to get the soil moisture and the RH dialed in.

Beazy

Beazy

Just laughing at that last part about getting cute !! Not the rest of your post

TreeBee

TreeBee

I am just going to leave my method here. Take it or leave it, it is your choice.

I use a sterile seed starting mix In solo cups. I cut holes for drainage like so
20240610 073513

Mix the seed mix with water until it is fully and evenly moist. If you squeeze a handful you should get a no more than a few drops of water out of it. If its too wet add a little more mix.

Fill the cup up do not pack it down I tap the bottom of the cup against the table once or twice to "pack" it. Top up if needed.

Plant your seed around [________] that deep. I don't soak or file or anything else to the seed before hand.

I leave mine just sitting in the house no humidity monitor. Whatever temp and humidity my house happens to be. I don't dome them either.

If they are somewhere with a cross breeze you may notice slight drying on the top of the cup. After 2 days I will take a spoon and add 2-3 drops of water to the cup center where the seed is. Just a few drops.

Sterile seed mix has absolutely nothing in it so I transplant to my soil at about 10-15 days depending on the seedling. I do not need to water in those days typically. Once and from the bottom if they do need watering.

4-5 days they will pop

I would suggest you pick up a moisture meter as it will make learning when to water a lot easier. Pick your pots up if they arent huge and feel the weight right after you water and feel the weight when the meter says they need water. After a while you wont need the meter.

Goodluck and happy growing ✌️🤞

TreeBee

TreeBee

I am pretty sure those damn cups are the main issue causing oxygen/water issues. I tried them with my veg starts one year and hated them. I see a consistantly over watered plant but I am no pro either 🤷‍♀️

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have a spray bottle. I spray the soil lightly and let it soak in gradual. Otherwise the water will just roll off the top.
That's hydrophobic soil when it rolls off the top. Some surface dryness is normal, though, and okay. It's down deep that matters.

Spray. Wait. Repeat till all the soil is moist.

Yes, 4" fan.
If the fan is running constantly, turning it down or off can help the RH.

Top Bottom