WaKe'N'bAkE

• Thread starter 420alldaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ken brotha! Stoked to see you went ahead and got some equipment for some oil production! Awesome bro enjoy and be safe! I see the thermos there are you using the butane wash technique? Stay up brotha man!

Crom
Thanks Crom :)
I have not done the wash yet...that run was though a tube.
I think Im gonna try the wash today
I need to find out more about the vac purging too. (like, how long I need to do it)

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Here is some info from a trusted site that may provide some insight. You have this link already Ken ;)

Purging:
"Butane is relatively easy to purge from cannabis oleoresins or concretes, as it has a boiling point of around -.5C/31.5F, or right about the freezing point of water. Given enough time just sitting around, it will purge below our 6.16 ppm sensory threshold, which is .0009% of the 658, 000 ppm, that the MSDS LD-50 tells us it took to asphyxiate 50% of the test rats in 4 hours.
We can speed up that purge, by using a dish with a large surface area, relative to the depth of the pool of oil. Usually small extractions, so as to keep the pool depth thin, are the easiest to purge.
Typically, the thin film is scrapped and stirred periodically, to speed up the process, and a flame may periodically be lightly run over the surface, to warm it and determine if the bubbles exiting are butane and terpenes, or CO2. Some care needed here, as THC, CBD, and CBN are di-terpene alcohols, and are flammable themselves, as are the other terpenes present.
Air movement over the pool speeds up evaporation, by whisking away the saturated boundary layer and providing the extra energy for the molecules of butane to escape the surface of the oil, as it is ricocheting about in the pool. Care must be exercised here, as any dust or lint in the air will end up in the oil, so usually a cheese cloth or similar porous cover is placed over it, before blowing over the top with a fan.
We can also speed it up with the application of heat. Any heat will speed up the evaporation, and one line of thought is to keep the heat low and around 60C/140F, using a hot pad after the hot water bath and scraping and popping any bubbles with a razor blade. A typical purge might take an hour and provides maximum terpene retention.
When adding bottom heat, you can also add a loose fitting lid, which will speed up the purging and keep out lint and dust.
For a faster purge, the temperature can be raised to above the melting point of the cannabis essential oils, or around 82C/180F, to give the butane molecules maximum mobility.
Instead of heat, vacuum may be applied to speed up the purge process. That is the process that we use when we wish to maintain the cannabinoids in their carboxylic acid forms.
In thin film vacuum purging, we place about an 3/16″ of the oil in a 6″ Pyrex Petri dish, and place that in a vacuum chamber, which also contains a hot plate. That allows us to manipulate both the temperature and atmospheric pressure, so that we can achieve boiling at very low, or even ambient temperatures.
While we use 180F to vacuum purge a raw oleoresin, adding heat isn’t necessary when thin film vacuum purging raw oleoresins redissolved in ethanol. The alcohol will boil away under 28.5″Hg at ambient temperatures, as will the water that is left behind, even without adding any heat."
vacuum-purge-setup-11.jpg
bho-absolute-ready-for-purging.jpg
thin-film-vacuum-purged-bho-absolute-31.jpg

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Here is some info from a trusted site that may provide some insight. You have this link already Ken ;)

Yep I have read that great info...but it didn't say there how long to run the vac...
.I have seen videos though...I think I get it.

When I did my extraction, It was 101*
and with the pyrex dish in the boiling water....most of the butane was gone quick.
same temp when I did the vac purge...bout 100* just inside the garage

Im pretty sure I got it all out.....the oil is very tasty in a joint :)
I hope schwoop likes it;)

....my plan to buy a oil pipe is on hold:cool:

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Hope you get a sic rig when you get to it Ken! Yeah I never vac purged, but I have heard of fellas putting the oil into a small cooking dish and putting it in an oven (toaster) and heating it up to the desired temperature for "X minutes" and then puts that while warm into the vac and purge away as usual. Without the gauge it seems hard to know how much pressure you have, but if it looks right and it smokes without sparkling then your probably okay. Also remember to let all the tane boil off, then wait for the bubbles to get larger/fewer, and pop. After there isn't any real action going on in the dish start the heat and purge. Hope that makes sense.

onisdad

onisdad

Good Morning to all! Big day today for the Rescue group i work with .... 50 chihuahuas were rescued from a hording situation and every body needs a foster home asap!

I need me a dab of the Horadric hamburger to make it through today! i found this on the Diablo auction house and couldn't stop laughing...

IMAG3561

IMAG3563

IMAG3564

IMAG3701

IMAG3717

think i will have some cheese on my horadric hamburger....
IMAG3692

IMAG3693

Stay frosty!!:cool:

jyip

jyip

damn, soe sweet ass nuggs and oil and wax and whatever the fuk else ya all are makin up to smoke.....so many choices,,,i like the videos crom! brettmaverick?? or whoeever with an oz of wax, nice,,,i hava bunch of trim, so, gonna get the gear necesary to extract oil

what do i need,,, a pyrex dish, an extractor either glass or stainless steel, the butane, the trim or bud, parchment paper, razor blades or something to scrpe it up with,,,,, and an oil bubbler w/ti plate i wanna get,

greats pics and info!

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Yeah that's the gist of it jyip. The honeycomb DIY I posted was a way to show Ken some Vac Purge stuff. Some cats really like the Honeycomb look and constancy. I personally think it's less potent then the less refined products. To each their own! I'll smoke it if you got it! Hit me up if you have questions jyip!

Cheers,
Crom

Top Bottom